Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad00111
I dont want to de-rail this thread, but can you PM me with your experience, my fiance and I are planning a honeymoon and Royal Carribean is at the top of the list.

Thanks!

I was on Royal Caribbean Dec 9-12 - Majesty of the Seas. Not a bad ship, but in need of updating. A travel agent friend is high on Celebrity Cruises. He says he has seen them all and for the Caribbean, Celebrity is the best.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 PM   #62
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

I have been in constant communications with RIM over the dust issue providing them names and examples. I received this response from RIM this evening:

Thanks John, we expect to have the process and communication on returns for this issue sorted by eod tomorrow. You can let everyone know you're in constant contact with us on this one.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-20-2005, 11:27 PM   #63
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310v
Carrier: Verizon

try and get a jab or two in there for the couple of folks who have had their screen crack if ya can!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 AM   #64
danbedford
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

The first week I haven't had any dust under my 8700's screen, but it's now starting to creep in there. I'd like to join in on getting mine replaced. Now I'll have a second chance to prevent getting a deep scratch over the screen!
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #65
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

i can assuer you that if you have a "deep scratch" on your screen right now...RIM nor Cingular will replace it. Atleast not under warranty. maybe its different if they want to replace it due to the dust issue.?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #66
barjohn

I received this message from RIM this evening. I will post more when I know it.

John, we’re working through a process to get some of these units back so we can take a look. We expect to have details tomorrow.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #67
johnsonk2

Carrier: cingular

John,

I have had my unit for 26 days now and have just noticed dust in my unit the past two days. As we speak I am on the phone with BB support who is transferring me to Cingular to discuss getting a new unit. I am confused as to how to best handle this problem...should I go ahead and get a new unit from Cingular since I am in my 30 days or should I wait until RIM has a more concrete solution to this problem.

edit to add:
Cingular said my options were to get a new unit since I am in the 30 days. after that, If the problem persist I would have to go through the warranty dept. which would send me a refurbished unit.. This really sux having paid that much money for the 8700.

Last edited by johnsonk2; 12-23-2005 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #68
barjohn

My work email system is down (darn Navy NMCI System) so I haven't been able to determine if RIM has responded back. I may give them a call a little later today. I know that this issue is being taken vary seriously at the highest levels of both RIM and Cingular.

Here is a response from a Cingular executive (Edited to protect confidentialities):

We are working with RIM on many aspects of the dust issue raised, and feel it is an important item which is why we have jointly assigned resources to pursue at a detailed level. Some product enhancements are in progress and the issue continues to be explored with specific examples to ensure that all facets of the issue are explored and addressed. I can assure that it is an key topic on our joint weekly RIM and Cingular technical calls as are any significant technical issues that are raised by customers, care, and internal teams.

I would go ahead and exchange the unit if it bothers you as it may take several weeks or even a few months to come up with the permanent fix.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #69
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

John, is there any way that you can possibly talk to the people at http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/index.htm and see if you might be able to get something from them aobut making their peorgram available to none Nextel BB? My bet is that you will propably get some where with them. TIA.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #70
barjohn

I'm not sure what makes you think that I could get somewhere with them. I sent them an email some time back and received no response. In any case, I think their system is dependent on the channel used in D.C. in order to operate and hence limits them to the Nextel network. I would really rather see someone take Fonix or Voice Signal product and port them to the 8700. I think it can be done though it may require some cooperation from RIM to create some new API's to support the software from the OS. Then there would be no need to be connected to an outside system which would be of concern to me.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #71
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Well I stil think you are the strongest one to be able to get something out of theml. They did not tell me about the dependencies. But with what you said it makes sense and I would agree with you. I just hope RIM will do something some time soon as this is a great feature to have. Thank you.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #72
alann

Model: 8800

Quote:
John, is there any way that you can possibly talk to the people at http://mobilevoicecontrol.com/index.htm and see if you might be able to get something from them aobut making their peorgram available to none Nextel BB? My bet is that you will propably get some where with them. TIA.

C'mon man John has already went above and beyond to sugguest additional features and addressed the main problems with the 8700s. He does not get a paycheck from RIM or Cingular. He is doing this out of his own time to help 8700 owners, please don't try to abuse it. I'm sure his time is important to him.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:18 PM   #73
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alann
C'mon man John has already went above and beyond to sugguest additional features and addressed the main problems with the 8700s. He does not get a paycheck from RIM or Cingular. He is doing this out of his own time to help 8700 owners, please don't try to abuse it. I'm sure his time is important to him.
I agree he has and his knowledge has been imense and reading all his info helped me get a quick jump on using my BB. I just thought no harm in asking. And for sure I would not want him to go out of his way if he can't.

My oppologies to John if I offended him any any way.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #74
barjohn

No appologies needed. I too would like to have that capability; however, I did not get much cooperation from the company in responding to my questions. RIM is aware and I think they will be working toward a solution.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #75
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Thank you John. I will keep all posted if I get a response again from the company.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:37 PM   #76
jdsboston

Model: 7290

Hey guys, happy holidays. I have been researching the 8700C for a few weeks now and am excited to upgrade from my great but aging ATT/Cingular 7290. Can't wait!

The dust issue sounds like a risk but it doesn't sound like it's all that common.

I couldn't tell from previous posts if this issue has been resolved...

Q) Would you suggest holding off until February to let them work out the kinks on this dust issue or is it not that big of a deal?

Should we be holding off on purchasing 8700Cs until this issue is resolved or what?

Thanks!

Last edited by jdsboston; 12-25-2005 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention existing unit
Old 12-26-2005, 12:03 AM   #77
barjohn

I have had a total of four and I currently have two of them and neither has had a dust issue yet. It doesn't mean they never will nor does it mean that the problem doesn't exist: it does. However, it is not every unit. I have had reported to me around 30 units out of the 100,000's of units already sold.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #78
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Mine has none so far. Had it for 4 weeks.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #79
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

Was in the car this AM in a cloudy day - I was utterly amazed at the amount of dust stuck under the screen!

Totally bummed out - obviously it has been bulding up because like I said, there was ALOT built up underneath it. Given the proper lighting - it's very easy to see it.

I just never paid attention. Now it's like dead pixels on a monitor (for those that have experienced it) - very annoying :(

Any strides you may make John, please share.

FYI - I was a NYC launch event attendee.

Thanks again,
dolo
Old 12-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #80
barjohn

I received a response back from RIM and they will be contacting each of the individuals whose names and contact information I have sent them in regards to the dust issue. There is also testing taking place to try and determine and fix the root cause. If you sent me a PM stating that you had the problem but did not include full contact information I did not send those to RIM as there would be no point to it. If you want to be added to the list (assuming it is not too late from RIM's perspective) then please PM me with your full contact info. I appologize but I do not have the time to go back and request that information from each of you individually.

Active PIN 203A5535
Closed Thread