Old 03-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
coreymtl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default 8320 (WiFi) vs 8130 (Size)

Please Login to Remove!

I am debating on the following two phones.

Is it worth having the WiFi VS the size of the Pearl. How does my service determine when to switch on to the WiFi? What if you outside with no WiFi and then hit your WiFi, how does it know to switch. Also, how will you know if you are connected to WiFi so that you are not using your paid bandwith?

With all the debate on the 8130 and 8300, has anyone considered the new 8320 which includes a camera and WiFi.

My debate is going with a Curve with WiFi (8320) or a Pearl (8130). The big difference is size VS WiFi. Since they both have cameras.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: at&t

i guess it all depends on what you need to accomplish through your wireless connectivity. wifi is obviously going to give you faster transfer rates when you really need to wirelessly post to bbf...lol...on the other hand the size of the pearl is nice. that's really what sold me on it. i'm the first one in my circle of friends to get a bb and everyone is amazed by the functionality of things like internet and e-mail...couple that with the size and i was sold.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Bear in mind, also, that the 8130 is a CDMA device, while the 8320 and 8300 are GSM devices. The 8320 has been out for months now. It isn't really new. The 8300 line isn't new, except for the CDMA market, where it doesn't exist!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

they are also two completely different signal types. CDMA vs GSM. Do you have an option of switching carriers to use the different technology? If not you might want to take a look at this comparison:

8320 vs 8120 or 8320 vs 8110

or 8830 vs 8130 or 8330 vs 8130.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
coreymtl

OK. I got confused on the models. I am on GSM. And for further clarification, I am in Canada using with Fido and will be using the BB connect option.

Therefore, I see my options being the following:
BB Curve (8320) or BB Pearl (8110 or 8120).

My key features I am wanting are:
WiFi: (in Canada, we don't have unlimited and $25 (for 7Mb) and $40 (for 25MB). I don't do a lot of surfing but when I am home, it's convenient on WiFi. Is there a special setting to use your BB on WiFi for email and other BB options, or will it just be for surfing. (Keep in mind I am in Canada). And I am concerned since not all BlackBerry plans support Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry services.

Camera: the 2MP camera is in all models, so they all compare equally.

Email: I am mainly reading emails as opposed to responding. But I am seeing that is changing as I am testing a 8830 and its super convenient.

GPS: I could go either way on this as I have a separate portable GPS device. Therefore, the the 8120 would win against the 8110.

Qwerty & Screen and Phone Size: These are the things that are the main differences for me. I am fond of the size of the Pearl, but concerned that either the screen will be too small and require lots of scrolling. In addition, I am worried that the keyboard size of the Pearl would be cumbersome.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

then your best bet is to go into a store and type several paragraphs on each keypad type. that is the ONLY way to know what device you will prefer. not everyone likes suretype, just like not everyone likes full qwerty.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymtl View Post
I am debating on the following two phones.

Is it worth having the WiFi VS the size of the Pearl. How does my service determine when to switch on to the WiFi? What if you outside with no WiFi and then hit your WiFi, how does it know to switch. Also, how will you know if you are connected to WiFi so that you are not using your paid bandwith?

With all the debate on the 8130 and 8300, has anyone considered the new 8320 which includes a camera and WiFi.

My debate is going with a Curve with WiFi (8320) or a Pearl (8130). The big difference is size VS WiFi. Since they both have cameras.

Thanks!
@Black Star;

Since you're on Fido, you should pay attention to what the previous - and more astute - members refered you to. That said there IS a Pearl (8120) that includes WiFi just like the 8320 (but also like that model EXcludes GPS). So if you wish WiFi for browsing without costs vs unlimited browsing pkg & email that Telus has then the choice is yours (you compare pricing on your own between Rogers/Fido vs Telus/Bell).

* You can manually turn ON/OFF WiFi Antenna -OR- use the WiFi Browser for Surfing vs the regular Browser. (Check the WiFi forums for more info for your needs).
* IF your WiFi Antenna is on - and if the Access Point is open (no security enabled) and no registration via the WiFi Browser is needed, then it'll connect like your laptop.
* A WiFi icon will show up on the top information bar of your WiFi-capable/enabled BlackBerry. You can ENSURE that you're using WiFi for surfing by simply going to the Manage Connections applet and turning off the Mobile Network radio antenna. However, I'm not sure that ALL applications will use the WiFi connection type.

And welcome to the Forums, and enjoy your stay.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
coreymtl

For additional clarification, the only reason I am planning on staying with Fido is more due to the voice plan I have. $70/month which includes unlimited incoming/outgoing with 850min of North America long distance.

Therefore, this is the only reason I am staying with Fido. I am not a big web browser while out on on the road. It's convenient at times but I only really use it now with my phone when I am in WiFi zone. My main use would be to send and receive emails.

Now that you told me I am able to disable my Mobile Network to ensure I am just WiFi is what I wanted to hear. And the fact that I will see the WiFi icon, is perfect to know it will work like a laptop.

All this being said, I think my choice is now clearer and I am leaning on the 8320.

Thanks everyone for helping me make my choice.

Corey
Closed Thread