Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
DaveMbk

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default cannot stop bb from auto learning words

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, hope someone can help...

My Curve 8520 v4.6.1.314 constantly learns words and updates the custom dictionary (I assume it is the custom dictionary) even though these words do not show there. It then suggests these words when I am typing, but I do not want them.

For example, if I type norte, I get Nortel suggested. Nortel is a once great datacoms company. My bb picked up this word in an email that had Nortel in the text but which has long since been deleted.

The solution suggested in other forums is to go Options/Language/Text input/Show text input options, then clear the Auto Word Learniing check box, and change Learn Words From Email Messages to off.

I'd tried this but these choices do not exist on my phone even though I went onto the bb website and looked in the specific manual ie curve 8520 v4.6.1

On my phone I get localisation instead of language (I am English UK) but even if English US is set, (then I get Language) there is still no option after, to clear word learning or anything similar.

So I am stuck with an ever expanding word list that I cannot even see, (clearing custom dictionary makes no difference) and nothing on the bb website even comes near to dicussing this. It just assumes the choices are there, but they are not.

I did a test, anything I type which is not a regular word, gets learned and suggested when anything like it is typed. This apart from being annoying, must be using up memory.

As an example, if I type say...locap, which is not a word...then type local...as soon as loca has been typed, locap gets suggested.

This means that every typo which is not in the bb dictionary, gets added to the custom dictionary (again I assume it is the custom dictionary) even though that word does not show there. Strange, I do not see why it cannot be disabled and the words so far learned, cleared.

I do recall reading that the input language has to be russian or arabic, which I have also tried, well I think I did, I selected what looked like russian or arabic text, but all to no avail. I don't understand that bit either.

So here's hoping, and a beer along with immense gratitude to the one who has the answer!

Thanks, Dave
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: cannot stop bb from auto learning words

Welcome to the Forums.

Stop adding items to the custom dictionary automatically
1. On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
2. Click Language and Text Input.
3. Click Show Text Input Options.
4. Clear the Auto Word Learning check box.
5. Change the Learn Words From Email Messages field to Off.
6. Press the Menu key.
7. Click Save.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
DaveMbk

Model: 8520
Carrier: orange

Thanks, but the reason I cannot do what is suggested is because that menu choice does not exist on my bb

from my original post:

""The solution suggested in other forums is to go Options/Language/Text input/Show text input options, then clear the Auto Word Learniing check box, and change Learn Words From Email Messages to off.

I'd tried this but these choices do not exist on my phone even though I went onto the bb website and looked in the specific manual ie curve 8520 v4.6.1

On my phone I get localisation instead of language (I am English UK) but even if English US is set, (then I get Language) there is still no option after, to clear word learning or anything similar."

So I am still unable to make any changes

Thanks,

Dave
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Update your device OS.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

is your phone on a BES corporate server?
Closed Thread