Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
dududuckling

Model: 9105
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default BBM Problem

Please Login to Remove!

Guys, do I need a Blackberry data plan in order to use the blackberry messenger and the blackberry email? I have the latter synced to my hotmail. I've not been able to use the messenger since Thursday, when T-mobile terminated my data plan.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

yes.
Your email will also stop if you have to do a battery pull, the service books will disappear because you don't have the blackberry data plan.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
dududuckling

Thanks, MidnightDraven.

So I went to T-Mobile today, my carrier, and upgraded my plan to include Blackberry-specific Data Plan. My Blackberry Messenger works like a charm now, but not my browser and email.

As for browser, under browser option, I can't change the hotspot browser to T-mobile. Consequently, I can't use EDGE to surf the internet. I can only surf when there's wifi. After doing some research, I think other people in North America who use 9105 also have the same problem. And its no big deal to me anymore.

As for the email, I already synced my hotmail to blackberry when I got it early September. But when I cancelled the BB data plan, everything was gone, including email and bbm. Now that I signed up for it again, my email's not working, even after using the Email Setup wizard ---> Create/add an email address ---> Next ---> Next ---> Your device had a problem connecting to the server. At this stage, I kept hitting "retry" and its not working. Any idea guys?

Last edited by dududuckling; 10-10-2010 at 04:54 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
dududuckling

Okay, I removed the battery for five minutes, put it back on, and managed to setup the email successfully.

When I click to the Status, it says EDGE, which means I've got the BB-data plan from T-mobile. But the Blackberry Internet Service Connection: Wi-FI, BlackbBerry Enterprise Server Connection: Wi-Fi. Does it mean that if I go outside to places without Wi-Fi, I won't be able to use the BBM or email? Is there a way to change the connection from Wi-Fi to EDGE?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No, it means its currently connected via wi-fi.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
dududuckling

Cool... thanks again!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
dududuckling

Another problem not relating to BBM, but I don't wanna clutter the forums with threads.

I have the blackberry data plan and all that from T-Mobile. The email and BBM work fine. I managed to sync my hotmail. But all I see is edge and not EDGE. Does it make a difference? When I'm on a wi-fi connection, the blackberry internet service and Blackberry Enterprise server Connection: Wi-Fi. When I'm out of the wi-fi range, these connections are: no service.

I've searched the forums and couldn't find a definite answer. I've removed the battery for 5 minutes while it was turned on, resend the host routing table, and then I don't get an email back, and everything's still edge, not EDGE and no internet. Is this a problem with T-mobile or the phone?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

edge = no BIS
EDGE = BIS

Your phone isn't connecting to RIM over carrier network, which usually suggests no data plan.
Do you have entries in the host routing table?

Old 10-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
dududuckling

Yes I do. Its a Wi-Fi [60] followed by a whole list of GPRS US (310) [31016030], GPRS US (310) (...) and so on and so forth. I clicked Register Now and then nothing happened. The t-mobile guy told me that I should receive an email as soon as I register. I was on wi-fi and edge, and I was actually able to receive email and send/receive bbm messages with wi-fi connection. But I didn't receive any email.

Yesterday night after posting in the forum, I removed both the batteries and sim card for a good five minutes. I turned it on and I got EDGE, but did not last for a long time. I have wi-fi at home. Blackberry Internet Service Connection and Blackberry Enterprise Server Connection: Wi-Fi. When I left my house, these connections: Not Connected. At this point, all I got was edge, not EDGE. I removed the battery once again and I got EDGE, but then it turned into edge again a couple of minutes later, which is frustrating.

I've read in other forums about changing the radio files to get EDGE permanently. Does it work for ours?

Prior to removing and readding the BB data plan, I had no problem with EDGE - its always consistent and not turn into edge.

Thanks!

Last edited by dududuckling; 10-16-2010 at 06:40 PM..
Closed Thread