Old 01-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Video Playback

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I just uploaded/transferred a video( movie dvd) from BB desktop to my phone using roxio which had already came with it. My question is, why does the video seem to "lag" when its playing? For example, the audio is faster than the video itself. Nothing more annoying then hearing the actors voice and I and a few seconds later you can lipread what they're gonna say. I hope someone understands what I mean. If it helps any better, the video is in MP4 format and I'm currently running OS v5.0.0.330, so should this mean a change of video format? Update OS? Or that's just how the video is... Any help or advice much appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
xeroxide
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Three (aus)

what resolution is it? might be that the BB is having trouble resizing on the fly? size of the file as well as length - could be the BB choking on the data stream?

also have you checked the file in a pc to make sure it wasn't a bad rip etc. sometimes the audio can be ripped at a different fps than the video, the end result is a file in which the start seems ok, but the further you go along the movie, the greater the sync gap is.

i recently converted a couple of 30min tv show episodes (21min each) to mpeg-4 using an overall bitrate of around 600kbps, resolution of 480x240 or 480x360 depending if widescreen or normal. i've had no lag with file sizes ranging from 60 - 120mb per episode

oh and i'm using os 5.0.0.423
i use a free proggie called xvid4psp... don't laugh it's quite powerful and is by far the best converter i have found to date, free or paid. i know it says psp in the name, but... its soooo good. if you want to try it, settings that work on bold are...

Format: MP4
Video Encoding: XviD HQ Ultra
Audio Encoding: AAC-LC ABR 128k

to change resolution, select video->Resolution/aspect, by default it's locked to aspect ratio so you only need to edit the first value (or 2nd if it's a super widescreen movie).
i use lanczos4resize as the filter. oh and cropping options are available here too.

try this proggie if u still can't get it to sync properly, i've had 0 problems with it for both my blackberry, older n95 and psp.

oh one last thing, the gui may have changed, i'm still using v5 and i just noticed they're upto v6

Last edited by xeroxide; 01-08-2010 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: os ver + my converter app
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Ekilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the tip xero. I actually used a converter called "magic dvd ripper" which converted it into MP4 format. Then i transferred it to the BBM desktop. Im not sure what the resolution is but it seems pretty clear. Its also not playing fullscreen on my BB, kinda sucks. I did the same procedure for my ipod and it plays well.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
splnkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

When you used Roxio to add the file to your BB, did you: select file>copy down>convert for optimal playback? With just about every DVD rip program I have tried to get files BB ready, if I don't let Roxio convert the original .mp4 file to a new .mp4 flavor of its liking, I get jammed up playback...or no picture...etc. YMMV... CG

PS: The Roxio conversion takes forever...
Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
xeroxide
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Three (aus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekilla View Post
Thanks for the tip xero. I actually used a converter called "magic dvd ripper" which converted it into MP4 format. Then i transferred it to the BBM desktop. Im not sure what the resolution is but it seems pretty clear. Its also not playing fullscreen on my BB, kinda sucks. I did the same procedure for my ipod and it plays well.
if it's not showing full screen, it's either cause the video aspect is different (widescreen content) or as i suspect, the BB has issues resizing that particular file/resolution.

it's best to use the native resolution of the screen for two reasons...
1. it will look the clearest - since it's in its "native resolution"
2. saves on cpu power - since it does not need to resize, thats one less thing the cpu needs to do, this takes a lot of power, especially to make it look good.

also some devices have issues resizing particular file types/resolutions.... i havn't mucked around with the BB since i've done a lot of conversion for psp and nokia n95 in the past. after a while it's all the same, find what format, resolution works best for the device and stick to it.

i get full screen video's with clarity so clear, i can read foreign movie subtitles (not kidding) on the bold... ok so it wasn't foreign movie subtitles... it was LOTR elvish speak.

i cannot recommend xvid4psp highly enough, it is extremely good. don't be put off by "psp" in the name.

i used that proggie to convert to my mp4 file from dvd or whatever i had, and then copied it straight to my memory card using mass storage... works like a charm... no fuss :D

i'm considering converting my entire southpark collection for my holidays when i'm bored late at night with no tv, that should be fun... oh and not sure about roxio, but xvid4psp supports multithreaded cpu's... on a quad core it runs VERY FAST in comparisons to what i've tried before.

oh if u must use roxio or some other program, the main thing here is to make sure you can select a resolution that's the same as the blackberry... 480x360 for tv type content is PERFECT, some widescreen may want 480x240... this is also nice... with a decent bitrate, it will look crystal clear.

in the end it doesn't matter which program, only the settings matter.

Last edited by xeroxide; 01-08-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Closed Thread