richbrowne
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Question Cannot Install BB OS with Desktop Manager 4.7.0.32

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am using Desktop Manager version 4.7.0.32 and have a really annoying problem.

Whenever I try to upgrade my BlackBerry 9000 (Bold) OS, I install the OS to my local system, remove the 'Vendor' file and run DM. DM recognises the new OS in App Loader -> Update Software, but then when I select 'Next', it interrogates the Internet and says that there are no updates required.

I realised that it was searching my supplier's website (Vodafone) for the latest update and ignoring the locally installed OS so I did a check on this forum. I noted the need to remove the 'BlackBerry Automatic Update' feature and/or to deselect 'Check for software updates. I did this and the same thing happens, DM still interrogates the Internet.

I went around the houses so many times with this; Un-installing/re-installing DM 7 with the previously detailed options removed and then re-installing the BB OS locally all to no avail! I even removed everything from the 'Apploader' folder as recommended somewhere here before re-installed DM and the OS again but no change.

In frustration, I pulled my cat6 network cable from the system and then tried and lo and behold it recognised my locally installed BB OS and updated it okay.

Is there any way to stop DM 7 from interrogating the Internet for a BB OS instead of a locally installed one without disconnecting from the Internet?

BTW, I have checked the BB FAQ linked to from here; that is how I knew to un-install the BB automatic Update feature.

Surely, there must be loads of people who have had my issues?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rich (Flipping frustrated!).
Old 03-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
ruth2000

Wirelessly posted

Iam favour
I love what you place in here i mean your profile and I am very interested to know if we are made to know each other, to be humble with you, I believe in true love, let come closer to hear a bit of our heart, if our heart sound the same meaning, so i love beautifully thing, but noting is beautifully unless you found some one with good heart whom you will share it with, some one who know what is love, i believe you're the one my heart lodging for, when posting your reply, post it in my private mail address (favour_odo2009@yahoo.com ) then I will send my pic to you, you will see whom i am. I am waiting for the love. Yours faithfully.
favour

favour_odo2009@yahoo.com
Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth2000 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Iam favour
I love what you place in here i mean your profile and I am very interested to know if we are made to know each other, to be humble with you, I believe in true love, let come closer to hear a bit of our heart, if our heart sound the same meaning, so i love beautifully thing, but noting is beautifully unless you found some one with good heart whom you will share it with, some one who know what is love, i believe you're the one my heart lodging for, when posting your reply, post it in my private mail address (favour_odo2009@yahoo.com ) then I will send my pic to you, you will see whom i am. I am waiting for the love. Yours faithfully.
favour

[email address]
WHAT??
Old 03-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrowne View Post
Hi,

I am using Desktop Manager version 4.7.0.32 and have a really annoying problem.

Whenever I try to upgrade my BlackBerry 9000 (Bold) OS, I install the OS to my local system, remove the 'Vendor' file and run DM. DM recognises the new OS in App Loader -> Update Software, but then when I select 'Next', it interrogates the Internet and says that there are no updates required.

I realised that it was searching my supplier's website (Vodafone) for the latest update and ignoring the locally installed OS so I did a check on this forum. I noted the need to remove the 'BlackBerry Automatic Update' feature and/or to deselect 'Check for software updates. I did this and the same thing happens, DM still interrogates the Internet.

I went around the houses so many times with this; Un-installing/re-installing DM 7 with the previously detailed options removed and then re-installing the BB OS locally all to no avail! I even removed everything from the 'Apploader' folder as recommended somewhere here before re-installed DM and the OS again but no change.

In frustration, I pulled my cat6 network cable from the system and then tried and lo and behold it recognised my locally installed BB OS and updated it okay.

Is there any way to stop DM 7 from interrogating the Internet for a BB OS instead of a locally installed one without disconnecting from the Internet?

BTW, I have checked the BB FAQ linked to from here; that is how I knew to un-install the BB automatic Update feature.

Surely, there must be loads of people who have had my issues?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rich (Flipping frustrated!).
I haven't been able to stop my Desktop manager from searching for updates..

If you are trying to update the OS, then just run the app loader and it should update the OS as normal, you installed the OS and you removed the vendor.xml file everything should be good.

Just let the Desktop Manager check for updates.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Iam favour
favour

[email address]
Lol....
Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I haven't been able to stop my Desktop manager from searching for updates..

If you are trying to update the OS, then just run the app loader and it should update the OS as normal, you installed the OS and you removed the vendor.xml file everything should be good.

Just let the Desktop Manager check for updates.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, DM will not update the OS. First of all it recognises that there is a new version of the OS installed locally, I then select that version for the upgrade, it then interrogates the Internet and states that there is nothing to upgrade. I assume here it is ignoring the locally installed BB OS and checking my carriers website for a newer version than the one installed to the BB and seeing that the one on my BB is newer, hence no upgrade.

The only way I can get it to upgrade is to pull the network cable out of the local system so that DN cannot interrogate the Internet; it then updates the BB with the new OS. However, this is far from ideal and I would rather not have to do this each time I want to update my BB OS.

I am running App Loader through the DM GUI. Maybe I should run this using the 'Loader' binary 'exe' file. Is this the way that you get around the problem?

Do you have this version of DM installed and are still able to load a BB OS to your local PC and upgrade using APP Loader thorugh the DM interface?

Thanks,

Rich.

Last edited by richbrowne; 03-01-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
Lol....
Indeed, what the hell was that all about?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbrowne View Post
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, DM will not update the OS. First of all it recognises that there is a new version of the OS installed locally, I then select that version for the upgrade, it then interrogates the Internet and states that there is nothing to upgrade. I assume here it is ignoring the locally installed BB OS and checking my carriers website for a newer version than the one installed to the BB and seeing that the one on my BB is newer, hence no upgrade.

The only way I can get it to upgrade is to pull the network cable out of the local system so that DN cannot interrogate the Internet; it then updates the BB with the new OS. However, this is far from ideal and I would rather not have to do this each time I want to update my BB OS.

I am running App Loader through the DM GUI. Maybe I should run this using the 'Loader' binary 'exe' file. Is this the way that you get around the problem?

Do you have this version of DM installed and are still able to load a BB OS to your local PC and upgrade using APP Loader thorugh the DM interface?

Thanks,

Rich.
Interesting you can try running the loader.exe, I'm currently running Desktop Manager 4.5 (I've been meaning to upgrade).

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
Interesting you can try running the loader.exe, I'm currently running Desktop Manager 4.5 (I've been meaning to upgrade).
I know 4.6 does not have this problem, but I would give 4.7 a miss until this is resolved if I were you.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
SteveO86

Between 4.5, 4.6, 4.7 I haven't seen too much of difference.

When I ever get the time I'm sure I will end up messing with each and every version whether at home or work

Downgrading 4.6 isn't too bad of option.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 AM   #11
richbrowne

Question

Anyone using 4.7 that has found a workaround for this please?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #12
ackers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Iam favour
favour

[email address]
Rich, if you do get a pic can you post it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackers View Post
Rich, if you do get a pic can you post it.
Seeing as I have very little detailed in my profile, I suspect the person wants my email address so they can spam me to death!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
richbrowne

Bump!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

I've read suggestions to disable the internet for the upgrade. Either unplug or lock down your virus/firewall protection. If it can't check it appears it will upgrade what's on the computer.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #16
richbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I've read suggestions to disable the internet for the upgrade. Either unplug or lock down your virus/firewall protection. If it can't check it appears it will upgrade what's on the computer.
Hi FF2,

Thanks for your reply.

This is exactly what I have been doing to upgrade as a last resort; had hoped that there was a 'proper' work around instead of having to do this. Maybe this is the only solution; either that or downgrade to 4.6 which is obviously a step backwards.

Rich.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
richbrowne

Anyone else having this problem?
Closed Thread