wild satchmo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Post Storm problem list / summary

Please Login to Remove!

Revised issue list:
  1. slowness switching orientation - sometimes as much as 10, maybe more!
  2. device just reboots itself randomly. UPDATE: To be resolved with first blackberry OS update due out 1st week in Dec.
  3. uneven screen sensitivity -not as easily clicked on the lower corners as other parts of the screen. UPDATE: This is a physical design thing. The paper trick helps but this will never be 100% resolved.
  4. intense lag overall after a long period of use as though the device is not allocating memory correctly, or some apps have memory leaks.
  5. REMOVED (vibrate before ring)
  6. camera quality is not really comparable to a typical 3.2mp camera but still not bad compared to other camera phones. + very very slow
  7. suretype / multitap - sometimes (on rare occasion) the suretype keyboard turns into a standard dialpad (not qwerty) making it difficult to find the appropriate keys for quick typing. Turning suretype off and then on seems to resolve this.
  8. REMOVED (usb charging)
  9. Mute during call - mute button is big and prominent making it easy to mute a call with your face when on the phone.
  10. Endless scrolling. Sometimes when scrolling up the screen will bounce back down making it almost impossible to get to the top of the list. Going out and back into whatever screen has the problem seems to resolve it.
  11. Lack of tab key. Difficult to navigate from one field to another on web forms.
  12. UPDATE: FIXED! Lack of arrow key. Difficult to go back and fix a mistake when typing because you have to try and "tap" the exact location before deleting the text you want to replace. Fix: hold your finger on the text you wish to edit until the cursor turns to an outline, then without lifting your finger slide you finger left or right to pinpoint a precise location. Works quite well.
  13. MP3 player will restart current track if the volume rocker is held up/down for more than a second.
  14. MP3 Player timeline - getting the timeline to come up in order to change the song position is tedious and sometimes does not work at all. Pausing and playing again sometimes helps.
  15. Volume Jumps durring call - If you receive a call while listen to music at low volume using a wired headset, the music volume may suddenly increase to the highest level (!). UPDATE: To be resolved with first blackberry OS update.
  16. Voice dialing mute glitch - When using voice-activated dialing, incoming audio may be muted. UPDATE: To be resolved with first blackberry OS update.
  17. intermittently loss of email connectivity via CDMA and/or international roaming modes. UPDATE: To be resolved with the second blackberry OS update.
  18. Radio off when boots up - When powering on the handset, the radio sometimes does not turn on. UPDATE: To be resolved with the second blackberry OS update.
  19. Speed dial / landscape glitch - Pressing the send key while the device is in landscape mode will open the phone application in portrait mode, but the speed dial function may not work. UPDATE: To be resolved with the second blackberry OS update.

any other documented issues I've missed??

Here's to 90% of these issues being resolved by software updates in the near future!

Last edited by wild satchmo; 11-26-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: updates issues and added some new ones!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
larhode

Model: storm

I haven't noticed all the problems you mentioned. However, the keyboard is a big problem for me. After several days of heavy use, I still can't accurately type. When I press a letter, I can never be sure if that letter or the now next to it will be typed. I can live with other imperfections, but a sloppy inaccurate keyboard is unacceptable. I'll give it another week to see if I can get it to work properly, if not I'll return it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I can speak to a few of those.

2 - That's a bad device.

3- there is a single button in the center of the screen. no trick will ever make the corners work easier than keys in the center.

4 - again, sounds like a bad device or foreign apps that do not work properly with the device.

5 - that's how my curve works too. i think all blackberries work that way. the point of vibration is to be able to grab it before the ringer disturbes other people.

8 - the battery definitely charges via usb. maybe a bit slower but that makes sense as usb is always going to be slower than plugging it in the wall.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
bwhite1234

Model: 8830

1 - Reboots by itself - sitting flat on a table I looked down and saw it rebooting. Wasn't using it for anything (no media player, not in call, etc) it just rebooted.

2 - Endless scrolling - using finger to scroll up or down results in the same content repeating itself over and over. It's like a video buffer contains scroll graphical display data and the buffer gets stuck then refuses to fill in new data so as you scroll it simply repeats the same info over and over - resolved by battery pull.

3 - Orientation (Portrait vs. Landscape) switches too easily while walking. I am holding it portrait, but it switches to landscape. Find myself rotating it to catch up with the auto changing display. Might make a nice game to kill time but I am trying to get work done. Would be nice to be able to easily lock it in a particular orientation at times.

4 - Camera application very slow - many apps lag on the storm but the camera app. really lags badly at times

5 - Browser functionality - diffuicult to navigate or select fields to populate data such as username and password. Would be nice to have "tab" button to advance to next field. Auto zoom feature kicks when trying to pan screen or "tap" into a field to enter data.

6 - Screen backlight doesn't respond to holstering (stays lit until timeout reached).
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
wild satchmo

@donbp - 2 - I doubt it, read the other threads on the board, lost of people experiencing this issue.
3 - I agree this is relatively minor but I dont believe it should be designed this way. You can "easily" have multiple points of contact for the 'button' effect. ex the center and each corner.
4 - You may be correct on this one, however my device is pretty clean. Google mapps, thestreet.com's app, and then certified apps for the app center. That's all I have.
8 - when I say the usb charge is slow I'm not comparing to the wall charger. I'm comparing to my pearl which charged much more quickly via usb. This is probably just because this batter is a higher capacity and takes longer to fill with charge but either way it is painfully slow if you ask me.

@ bwite1234 - 1 - I have heard of many people having this issue so far. Not good.
2 - I have had this issue also - added it to the list.
3 - right on.
4 - agree
5 - agree. Added to list
6 - isn't this the holster's fault? It needs to have the magnet in it that tells the device it is holstered. Does the same holster put another blackberry to sleep?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Fbrn

Model: 7103e
Carrier: verizon wireless

1. I can't edit the default ring profiles which is driving me crazy. I can create new ones but who wants to do that.
2. My ringtones in the normal profile quit working after a while and I have to reboot.
3 Serious memory leak. And I mean the worst I have ever seen in a blackberry and I am on my 5th different one.
4. I can type faster than the cpu can keep up. I love the suretype and never use it in landscape because I can't get it to register an A accurately for anything.
5. software feels worse than the betas I was using on my 8330.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

MP3 player:

1. MP3 player will restart a track if I hold the volume rocker up/down for more than a second. And then it will play it at full volume.

2. Getting the progress bar to come up so I can move the timeline is very tedious. Sometimes I can't even bring it up.

Camera:

3. Slow, like you said.

4. Uploading a photo taken in portrait mode to Flickr or Facebook automatically rotates it 90 degrees.

Phone:

5. Cheek is constantly pressing mute and speakerphone buttons. Switching this to double-tap would be great.

Tilt/accelerometer:

6. Would be nice to have an 'accelerometer lock' function. I.e. operate only in portrait or landscape mode if specified.

General BB stuff:

7. Selecting text should have a 'zoom' feature, similar to the browser - this is way too hard to do.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Wounded Knee

Model: 7130e
Default Easy editing of email messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild satchmo View Post
Lack of arrow key. Difficult to go back and fix a mistake when typing because you have to try and "tap" the exact location before deleting the text you want to replace.
I was very frustrated by the lack of an arrow key for precise placement of the cursor until I found the Storm meathod of cursor placement.

To move the cursor to exactly where you want, click to get it close, then hold your finger on one spot (don't click) until the cursor turns to an outline shape. Then drag your finger and the cursor follows. The cursor will stay in its outline shape until you pick your finger up.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
papageno19

For the person who says it reboots on its own, its normal for a phone that is connecting to a network the first couple of times. Sometimes it reboots to refresh the phone's programming.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
AkiMountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wounded Knee View Post
I was very frustrated by the lack of an arrow key for precise placement of the cursor until I found the Storm meathod of cursor placement.

To move the cursor to exactly where you want, click to get it close, then hold your finger on one spot (don't click) until the cursor turns to an outline shape. Then drag your finger and the cursor follows. The cursor will stay in its outline shape until you pick your finger up.
I think this problem is when typing emails and texts. It is difficult to go back and edit, I end up just deleting till I reach the misspelled word.

This is a serious issue and most likely the one that will decide if I return or not. I'm not sure if a software upgrade is going to fix this.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiMountain View Post
I think this problem is when typing emails and texts. It is difficult to go back and edit, I end up just deleting till I reach the misspelled word.

This is a serious issue and most likely the one that will decide if I return or not. I'm not sure if a software upgrade is going to fix this.
The suggestion should work, hold your finger on the text in the general area you want to make the correction (withought clicking) and wait a second or so until the "outlined" cursor appears. Then drag your finger to where you want the correction made and the cursor moves with it pretty smoothly.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
AkiMountain

Quote:

This is a serious issue and most likely the one that will decide if I return or not. I'm not sure if a software upgrade is going to
Fix this.

Case in point, to fix my typo above is a monumental task on this phone!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
wild satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageno19 View Post
For the person who says it reboots on its own, its normal for a phone that is connecting to a network the first couple of times. Sometimes it reboots to refresh the phone's programming.
I'm talking 3 reboots so far today, and 6 yesterday! I'm not traveling any great distance (I live 3 blocks from my office). Also this is not happening when first connecting to a newtwork.

It has happening on the following occurances that I've noticed.

- When clicking the screen to 'wake up' the phone when it has gone dark after the backlight timeout.
- Immediately upon receiving a text message. You hear the noise and then WHAMO. Darkness.
- Upon ending a phone call.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
wild satchmo

Quote:

Very nice find. I have updated the issue list accordingly. Thanks =)
Old 11-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
SHP

Model: 8100t
Carrier: TMO

I played with one at the VZW store this past weekend and noticed problems 1, 4 and 7: It took anywhere from about 1 second to perhaps 8 to re-orient. It was very slow changing apps. Finally, it did this wierd thing where instead of displaying the SureType screen it displayed a different keyboard (I can't say for sure that it was the normal querty).

I actually liked the interface and found that I could type on the SureType screen pretty quickly. (I'm one of those who really like SureType and can't imagine going back--because I like to type with one hand).

I sure hope they fix these problems. I won't buy one until they do.

Previous: 7100T; BB 6230; BB 6750; Palm V; Newton (really)
Old 11-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #16
bwhite1234

Model: 8830

Today's problems... (added to my list above)

7 - Can't answer calls. Phone rings, press the green answer key or press the on-screen "Answer" softkey, call doesn't connect. Press again, and again. Eventually calls goes to voicemail. Happened 3 times today. The last time it then switched to the camera, even though I disabled the right conv. key from activating the camera (found myself hitting that a lot). Not sure why it launched the camera. It mutes the ring tone when I press the button so it appears that the button works, it just doesn't connect the call.

Doesn't happen every time though. I was just able to take a call.

More on the orientation - today is became confused and 90 degrees out of sync. I would rotate it and 2 seconds later it changed the display. I rotated 90 deg. again, and 2 sec. later it rotated the screen. I was "chasing" the display trying to keep up in a merry-go-round fashion. Tough to type an email sideways. Great laughs from a co-worker who was watching me!

Wild Satchmo - yes it is an OEM Blackberry holster that works with my older 8703 and 8830. I think maybe the magnet is in the wrong spot but I tried waving the phone all over the magnet area on the holster and can't find the sweet spot that kills the display. Not sure if its the non-Storm holster or my storm.

Last edited by bwhite1234; 11-25-2008 at 05:47 PM..
Old 11-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #17
JavaCofe

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

-camera lagged 2-3s to begin recording picture/video
-crop image scrolling inverted (up=down left=right etc)
-GPS bizareness (thought I was several hundred miles from where I actually was! [outside in clear sky view])
-lock/unlock bug (pickup handset screen turns on displaying unlock, press unlock, screen powers off, red/endcall and unlock have no affect requiring 2-3 unlock presses and much screen flickering)
-browser buttons not always visible (no menu item to restore)

oh and my favourite one.

-NO IMAP/POP3 FOLDERS (gmail virtual tagging and pop3 filtering would be handy, the iPhone can do this though not using BB's wonderful push email system. thx BB)
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #18
wild satchmo

Thanks for the feedback. Updated the list as well as added some new ones I've seen on other posts, also some details about when a few of these are expected to be fixed.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #19
sizzle

Model: 9000
Carrier: can barely lift her.

I have the bold, received some storms for users, I honestly hate it, everyone listed good reasons here, slow is a big one, but most of all its just awkward. Love my bold!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
Vertioch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Fbrn - scroll down to adjust your tones (Set Ring Tones/Alerts)
It is also much easier to set Contact Alerts than earlier phones....

To the general comments about how the bold is better...

I really wanted a bold, but for me it isn't an option, no AT & T in Montana... :(

That said, I've had the storm 2 full days now and I am growing to love it... yes, it has these problems listed above. But, I can accept most of them...

I had an 8703e previously, so that's my "comparison" BB. I have coworkers w/ Pearls and I hate them, I can't stand the suretype keyboard... (I am trying to learn it in Portrait and maybe I'll grow to like it sometimes).

I am pretty sure RIM and VZW are working dilligently to address these issues, you don't run a huge ad campaign and not support the product.

I am an early adopter and have come to expect initial problems. If you aren't an early adopter, wait until the releases fix the major issues before making the leap.

my bigger complaint is having to zoom in a ton in order to click the right buttons... often it highlights the wrong link.
Closed Thread