Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
dapope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Difficulty loading new apps to 8320

Please Login to Remove!

Handango is selling s/w for the Blackberry Curve, however most if not all will not install on BB8320.
Just got off the phone with RIM, THEY ASKED ME TO SEND THEM COPIES OF THE S/W I HAD PURCHASED [woops] from Handango,{ 5 different utilities}, while i was on the line they tested to see if it works on their 8320's, they didnt. I asked if RIM would be releasing a new DM, he said NO, they are contacting HANDANGO about this, and the code on the s/w will have to be redone for the 8320.
They're going to get back to me within 24 hours, hopefully this will be resolved in a few days

I guess we now know why people are having problems installing apps

Last edited by dapope; 09-30-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Examples (names of the software) please?
Old 09-30-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
dapope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Examples (names of the software) please?
Sure, here ya go

WorldCam - Live WebCam Viewer
Smart Converter
IM+ for Skype
BBSmart Email Viewer

I also ordered , but haven't received it as of yet

Voice on the Go - Listen to your email and reply by voice (hands-free)

Last edited by dapope; 09-30-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Old 09-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapope View Post
Sure, here ya go

Smart Converter
IM+ for Skype
BBSmart Email Viewer

I know these are not in your list but I have BB alerts and empower mail viewer working great on my 8320.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
segeln4me
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: iPhon
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Sure, here ya go

Smart Converter
IM+ for Skype
BBSmart Email Viewer

BBSmart works on my 8320! I have bought other software from Handango, and so far they all work on the 8320! What gives???
Old 10-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Make sure the software says that it works on the 83xx. If it doesn't, most likely, it will not work.

If it does say it works and it doesn't, you better contact Handango and let them know.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097

I just don't buy anything from that company at all. If I can't buy the software directly from the developer then I don't really need it that badly.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
eZainny

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus

BBSmart Email Viewer works with the 8320. There are a few of our users with this device. And I know as well that IM+ works with the 8320 also. I've got a test 8320 sitting right here running both BBSmart and IM+.

I'm guessing the most likely problem is your Desktop Manager install is busted. Let me guess, you are getting the "No additional applications designed for your device were found" when you try and install any of the applications using your DM? It's a common problem caused by a mismatch between the BlackBerry OS you have installed on your PC and the OS you have installed on your BlackBerry.

If you want to install BBSmart Email Viewer Over-The-Air, navigate to the following site with the BlackBerry Browser and follow the prompts: BBSmart OTA Install

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned RIM tested those applications and told you they didn't work...I'm not sure why they would say this because there are quite a few people within RIM using our software on the latest devices (we've done several deployments for them) and I've never heard anything about troubles with the 8320.

Cheers,
eZainny.

Last edited by eZainny; 10-01-2007 at 07:16 AM..
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
I just don't buy anything from that company at all. If I can't buy the software directly from the developer then I don't really need it that badly.
I think I can speak for all developers when I say that we really appreciate when people do this. Mobile software distribution sites take a very large cut of the sales revenue (Handango takes 40%, for example). The more that people buy direct from developers, the more ends up back in our pocket and funds further development and upgrades to the product.

Cheers,
eZainny.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
Make sure the software says that it works on the 83xx. If it doesn't, most likely, it will not work.

If it does say it works and it doesn't, you better contact Handango and let them know.
Sorry to spam up this thread But, I've got a bit of spare time so I thought I might take the time to squash this misconception.

In general, application developers for the BlackBerry do not target specific device models. There are exceptions to this case where we will target specific hardware-only features (like "Pimp My Pearl" which does trackball coloring for the Pearl and location aware applications which utilize GPS functionality on the 8800), but these are rare.

Mostly, we target major OS releases. So 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. The Pearl, 8800, 8300 (and all its variants including the 8320) all ship with OS 4.2 (or a minor variant) and so an application that works with the 8800 should 99.99% of the time (unless it is one of the exceptions mentioned above) work on the 8300 and all its variants without any modification.

Hope that clears things up (and again, sorry to get so spammy!)
Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
rarexxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Handango is selling s/w for the Blackberry Curve, however most if not all will not install on BB8320.
Just got off the phone with RIM, THEY ASKED ME TO SEND THEM COPIES OF THE S/W I HAD PURCHASED [woops] from Handango,{ 5 different utilities}, while i was on the line they tested to see if it works on their 8320's, they didnt. I asked if RIM would be releasing a new DM, he said NO, they are contacting HANDANGO about this, and the code on the s/w will have to be redone for the 8320.
They're going to get back to me within 24 hours, hopefully this will be resolved in a few days

Try this thread. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ng-8320-a.html
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yea, this original post is somewhat libelous in it's effect, if not in its intent.

I am not sure what the original poster meant by "will not install", I have a feeling that the issue is that the 8320 OS must be installed on the PC before a desktop install can be performed of additional software.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:

I think I ran into this same situation when I was first installing on 8820's. Nothing I got from Handango would install because it would keep saying it could not find software for the device. Even though I verified that I had the newest version of the OS on the unit, I took the advice of some members here and installed the OS on the desktop. When I tried to install software, it said there were updates for my device ... and I did it. From then on, I could install any software I wanted. The OS software is a sticky at the top of the 8300 discussion forum.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 10-01-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

numetheus, please check your PMs for one from me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
dapope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yea, this original post is somewhat libelous in it's effect, if not in its intent.

I am not sure what the original poster meant by "will not install", I have a feeling that the issue is that the 8320 OS must be installed on the PC before a desktop install can be performed of additional software.
This is email from RIM, after i sent them the applications that would not install.. He attempted to install on his 8320, and had same problems, as you see

BlackBerry Support <help@blackberry.net> Save Address Reminder
To:
Cc:
Subject: Re: RQST00004210578
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:05:22 +0000 [View Source]

Hello Stanley,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. We are pleased to assist
you.

After we have ended our interaction earlier, I did some testing on my BlackBerry 8320 to replicate the issue. I do have the exact same error prompt that you were facing.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Would you at least clue us in on the error you are getting at installation?

The fact that many of Handango's applications do work on the 8320 is attested to by many of the posters in this thread.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #17
dapope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZainny View Post
BBSmart Email Viewer works with the 8320. There are a few of our users with this device. And I know as well that IM+ works with the 8320 also. I've got a test 8320 sitting right here running both BBSmart and IM+.

I'm guessing the most likely problem is your Desktop Manager install is busted. Let me guess, you are getting the "No additional applications designed for your device were found" when you try and install any of the applications using your DM? It's a common problem caused by a mismatch between the BlackBerry OS you have installed on your PC and the OS you have installed on your BlackBerry.

If you want to install BBSmart Email Viewer Over-The-Air, navigate to the following site with the BlackBerry Browser and follow the prompts: BBSmart OTA Install

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned RIM tested those applications and told you they didn't work...I'm not sure why they would say this because there are quite a few people within RIM using our software on the latest devices (we've done several deployments for them) and I've never heard anything about troubles with the 8320.

Cheers,
eZainny.
Yes they all will work now, as i received another follow up mail from Rim, and , was able to install all s/w. But, let me say this again, as shown in previous post, It did not work on his [RIM Support ] 8320 , till he reloaded . You would think this would not be the case with the manufacturers own supports 8320.

"I proceeded on to download and install the BlackBerry 8320 Handheld
Software (v 4.2.2.171).

After installing the BlackBerry Handheld Software, I am able to add the four
applications which you sent me earlier. All the applications are working fine
now on my BlackBerry 8320, except that it is prompting me for the verification
codes.

I do recommend you to replicate the same steps I did as follow:

1. Download and Save to the Desktop, the BlackBerry 8320 Handheld Software (v
4.2.2.171) from Unsupported Browser
2. Install the software after the download has been completed.
3. Launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager
4. Run through the process of adding the applications again

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us either by
replying to this message or by calling us at 1-877-255-2377.

Thank you again for contacting us.

You have a good evening, Stanley.

Sincerely,"
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Good to know. That is exactly the process that was recommended to you yesterday afternoon in your similar/duplicate thread.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...pe-et-all.html

I am taking the liberty to change the inaccurate title of this thread.

Glad to know it is working.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #19
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Quote:
This is email from RIM, after i sent them the applications that would not install.. He attempted to install on his 8320, and had same problems, as you see

BlackBerry Support <help@blackberry.net> Save Address Reminder
To:
Cc:
Subject: Re: RQST00004210578
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:05:22 +0000 [View Source]

Hello Stanley,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. We are pleased to assist
you.

After we have ended our interaction earlier, I did some testing on my BlackBerry 8320 to replicate the issue. I do have the exact same error prompt that you were facing.
If you would just do as me and Jsanders have suggested, and install the OS on your desktop, then update it (even if you verify you have the latest one installed on the unit already), this problem will probably be over for you. You will be able to install all of the programs you want.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #20
dapope
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Good to know. That is exactly the process that was recommended to you yesterday afternoon in your similar/duplicate thread.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...pe-et-all.html

I am taking the liberty to change the inaccurate title of this thread.

Glad to know it is working.
Thanks for changing it, thing is, when you on the phone with RIM Tech Support, and he is having the same exact problems loading these applications,and, he tells me that the s/w is written for the "Curve" , but it may have to be re written for the 8320...He said it wasn't the DM s/w, as we both are using same latest version. The file i d/l was . or is an addition to the DM i had , its the application loader upgrade

Also, i only posted after being told this from RIM............

Last edited by dapope; 10-01-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Closed Thread