Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
crackfox

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Got me an upgrade..lol

Please Login to Remove!

Hey..I'm new to the forums. Am now owning my 4th BB and am looking for a Bold 9900 for a good deal..lol.

Had an 8520 I got from a co-worker for 20$ a few months back. Really liked the phone but my wife needed a phone so I hunted around and found a bold 9700 for att at a computer recycling place for 20$. Got it home, plugged it up to charge and its been the best 20$ I spent..lol. Unlocked it with BBTools and I'm running it on tmobile.

Anyway, I'm on os 5.0.0.979 bundle 1607. I've heard bad things about os 6..can anyone expand on any issues? I've heard very bad things concerning os 6 and the 9700.

Are there any good hybrids out anywhere or is official the best way to go?

I'm digging the 9700 especially the gps. Overall better device then my 8520. I do miss the dedicated media buttons on the Curve tho.

Any device optimizations would be helpful. I got close to 3 days of moderate/heavy use with my Curve. Hopping for the same out of the Bold. Bought 2 new batteries for the Bold as well.I'd like to trim as many crap-apps as I can as well.

Any suggestions are welcome and wanted. Thanks
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Got me an upgrade..lol

I would advise staying with OS 5 on the 9700. OS 6 will take away from resources without much benefit, in my opinion. Also, if you are used to keyboard shortcuts and so forth, you will miss a great deal going to 6.

No opinion on hybrids. My advice is try the official OS releases and see if you can tell any differences and go with what works best. Delete the apps you don't need, and only install what you really need. With that you should be more than happy.

On the battery, it is better not to run the battery down. Don't do it if you don't have to. Charge when you can, like when you are sleeping.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
crackfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I would advise staying with OS 5 on the 9700. OS 6 will take away from resources without much benefit, in my opinion. Also, if you are used to keyboard shortcuts and so forth, you will miss a great deal going to 6.

No opinion on hybrids. My advice is try the official OS releases and see if you can tell any differences and go with what works best. Delete the apps you don't need, and only install what you really need. With that you should be more than happy.

On the battery, it is better not to run the battery down. Don't do it if you don't have to. Charge when you can, like when you are sleeping.
I've heard there are memory drain issues with os 6. I don't have internet at home and I tried to download the newest os 5 with my BB but it says I'm forbidden..lol

Battery: so don't let it completely die? I let my Curve do it a couple times. Does it do any harm?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You can do OS upgrades on the handset if it is supported, but you can't download and install an OS package that is meant to be installed using a computer.

Lithium ion batteries actually have longer lifespans if they are kept topped off. And running the battery down frequently lessens the lifespan.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
crackfox

Quote:
You can do OS upgrades on the handset if it is supported, but you can't download and install an OS package that is meant to be installed using a computer.

Lithium ion batteries actually have longer lifespans if they are kept topped off. And running the battery down frequently lessens the lifespan.
Naw...what I was doing was downloading it with my phone, then I'd move it from the BB to my computer. Then update my phone. I don't have a tether plan cause all I have is EDGE speed. Any download mirrors for the most recent os5??
Old 07-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

There is a size limit with the BlackBerry browser on the mobile network. I should have been clearer. That is your problem. With wifi you would be able to download large files. But if you had wifi at home you would be downloading directly to the computer, of course.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
crackfox

Quote:
There is a size limit with the BlackBerry browser on the mobile network. I should have been clearer. That is your problem. With wifi you would be able to download large files. But if you had wifi at home you would be downloading directly to the computer, of course.
I can get some neighborly wifi love downstairs so ill prolly go sit outside and download it. Are there any real differences between .979 and .1655?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
ayedavid

PIN: 219033E7
Carrier: bb2

How can I active the PDF to go that comes with my Bold2 9700? Each time I want to active it wil ask me PDF serial no and activiation code. I can't find it in the manual that came with the phone, my contact here below (ayedavid0@gmail.com) tanx
Closed Thread