Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Trackball broken

Please Login to Remove!

The trackball on my curve is broken.

It's not the scrolling up/down/left/right - that works fine. It's the pushing of the trackball to select something that has gone haywire. Sometimes I just barely touch the trackball and it clicks on an application or opens an email. Other times, I press it hard and it does nothing.

For example, I scroll over an email on the list and it senses a "click" and opens the email, even though I barely put pressure on the trackball. Sometimes it senses three "clicks" and opens the email, opens the menu, and selects reply. Other times, I press hard two or three times and it does nothing.

I've tried compressed air, but that doesn't help.

Do they make replacement trackballs that I can buy and drop in my curve? Unfortunately, I got the curve in June, so I am well past my 30-day return/exchange period.

Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another thought... I have an 8100 Pearl that I don't use anymore. Can I take the trackball from the Pearl and use it in the Curve?

I know that the Pearl has colored LCDs and the Curve has just white ones, so I'm not sure if they are compatible.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
sonic117
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: 2404D7A1
Carrier: AT&T

good luck with this! my trackball is now brown and i dont know what the heck is wrong with it. i want to replace my trackball as well!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
The trackball on my curve is broken.

It's not the scrolling up/down/left/right - that works fine. It's the pushing of the trackball to select something that has gone haywire. Sometimes I just barely touch the trackball and it clicks on an application or opens an email. Other times, I press it hard and it does nothing.

For example, I scroll over an email on the list and it senses a "click" and opens the email, even though I barely put pressure on the trackball. Sometimes it senses three "clicks" and opens the email, opens the menu, and selects reply. Other times, I press hard two or three times and it does nothing.

I've tried compressed air, but that doesn't help.

Do they make replacement trackballs that I can buy and drop in my curve? Unfortunately, I got the curve in June, so I am well past my 30-day return/exchange period.

Any help would be appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Turn off the BB and then press and roll the ball in all directions. There is most likely some dirt or lint in there some place. Also try pulling the battery and letting the BB reboot. That could also help.

To clean, dip a Q-tip in some alcohol and rub the ball with it.

By any chance, do you carry the BB in your pocket? That is the worse place to put it as it can pick up lint and dirt very easily.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Turn off the BB and then press and roll the ball in all directions. There is most likely some dirt or lint in there some place. Also try pulling the battery and letting the BB reboot. That could also help.

To clean, dip a Q-tip in some alcohol and rub the ball with it.

By any chance, do you carry the BB in your pocket? That is the worse place to put it as it can pick up lint and dirt very easily.
I've already tried all of this. It's not dust. I even took off the silver ring, pulled out the trackball assembly, and blasted it with compressed air. No help.

The trackball moves left/right/up/down perfectly. The problem is pressing the trackball to make a selection. I think the trackball is just broken.

I'm going to try pulling the trackball from my pearl this evening and seeing if that works in the curve.

Doesn't RIM sell replacement trackballs? Am I the only one that has had this problem?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8UB4 View Post
I've already tried all of this. It's not dust. I even took off the silver ring, pulled out the trackball assembly, and blasted it with compressed air. No help.

The trackball moves left/right/up/down perfectly. The problem is pressing the trackball to make a selection. I think the trackball is just broken.

I'm going to try pulling the trackball from my pearl this evening and seeing if that works in the curve.

Doesn't RIM sell replacement trackballs? Am I the only one that has had this problem?

Swap the trackballs (the pearls will work). I hope it works. It could be the contact IN the phone. Give it a shot. Lowest price replacement assembly is in link below. NOTE do not lose the internal retaining clip as the assemblies don't come with them and no one sells them that I am aware of)

8100 - Motorola, Tools, Dopod/O2, Apple, SonyEricsson, Accessories Store, 3G, Alcatel,

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 09-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Swap the trackballs (the pearls will work). I hope it works. It could be the contact IN the phone. Give it a shot. Lowest price replacement assembly is in link below. NOTE do not lose the internal retaining clip as the assemblies don't come with them and no one sells them that I am aware of)

8100 - Motorola, Tools, Dopod/O2, Apple, SonyEricsson, Accessories Store, 3G, Alcatel,
Thanks for this. This site rocks!

Yeah, as you pointed out, I'm worried it might be the contact in the phone itself. I look at the trackball assembly and it seems like it is intact and that it is just a thin sliver of metal that the ball pushes down to a contact on the phone's circuit board.

I'll try swapping it out tonight and report back.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, swapped out the curve trackball with the Pearl trackball and it didn't help. The problem must be with the metal contact in the phone. I spoke to my at&t rep and they're going to send me a replacement under the warranty (not the 30-day warranty - which would allow me to swap it at the local store). Now I have to make due over the weekend with the Pearl. I must say, once you've been using the Curve, it's very difficult to go back to the Pearl.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
consorziodenver

Model: 8320*
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmo

what about cnn.cn? They have replacement trackballs for $10.

whoops....didn't see the part about the warranty replacement...
Closed Thread