BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #21
Stern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Please Login to Remove!

I have tried to find more information about the internal architecture of the infrastructure specifically about how the provisioning systems deal with traffic from the carrier and how it then passes it through to SRP but RIM hold this very close to their chests and is strictly company confidential which makes sense I suppose.

If you do find that graphic I would be interested to see it but I suspect the interesting part about how it gets from one side of the infrastructure to the other will be absent and the infrastructure will just be displayed as a magic box that sits inbetween the handset and the carrier.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #22
8f27e956
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BELL MOBILITY

Yeah, this wasn't a proprietary reveal-the-nuts-and-bolts graphic; it was more a admin-technical domain segregation (flow) graphic presented in a ISO/OSI framework.

If I find it, I'll share it.

/S
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Dealt with one of these carrier issues this week also.
Sales man in UK had the phone but carrier was still setting it up on BIS.
After a week the carrier finally provisioned it right.

Poor guy is now afraid to turn it off, thinks he will have to do this all over again.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
8f27e956

Back on the saga thread line...

Had an okay conversation with a carrier manager today as a -- hopefully final -- postmortem to the saga.

The read-from-the-script "no system is perfect" non-apology wasn't exactly satisfying. He went so far as to say the tech's can only work with the info you, the customer, provide them. A way of saying I was and am culpable. I couldn't let that go and made him walk the call log. Point to customer grudgingly was conceded.

The manager said, "look -- all there is are services and fees. You have the services you want so all that's possible to talk about is fees."

As "file-poisoning, nasty tech #3's and supervisor #xxxxxxx" heads on a pike wasn't on the list of choices, discount was all there was to be had.

I have a better rate plan now then before so, in a month and for some months to come, I'm better off.

Now I just have to get this foul taste out of my mouth.

Oh, and my audio boost to actually boost would be nice ... but that's another thread.

/S
Old 06-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #25
8f27e956

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
Poor guy is now afraid to turn it off, thinks he will have to do this all over again.
It is with fear and intrepidation that I await 02:00ET on July 2nd; that's when the billing system runs my account and the billing-to-provisioning audit/clean-up routines run.

It was this mid-night run that started my chain of events. It's possible that it could come flying apart next month too.

And I'll get to go through this -- or something else like it -- a-g-a-i-n.

In some small way I'm grateful for three-year contracts ... once you're settled in, they just run. It's the settling in part ... arrg.

/S
Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8f27e956 View Post
It is with fear and intrepidation that I await 02:00ET on July 2nd; that's when the billing system runs my account and the billing-to-provisioning audit/clean-up routines run.

It was this mid-night run that started my chain of events. It's possible that it could come flying apart next month too.

And I'll get to go through this -- or something else like it -- a-g-a-i-n.

In some small way I'm grateful for three-year contracts ... once you're settled in, they just run. It's the settling in part ... arrg.

/S
You're a lot more patient than I am.
I would have switched to a new carrier already... regardless of any early termination penalties.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #27
8f27e956

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
... regardless of any early termination penalties.
If "out" was what I wanted, then "out" I would have been WITHOUT PENALTIES.

In Ontario for sure, and generally throughout Canada, there is an instrument called "Consumer Letter of Rescission." (templates available on the Ontario Consumer Protection Ministry's website.) Essentially it's the Consumer's mechanism (short of hiring a lawyer) for terminating FOR CAUSE an otherwise binding commercial agreement.

If I had of pulled this trigger, the FOR CAUSE would have been their failure to restore my BES functionality -and/or- their failure to provide continuing support to my account.

You write this Letter and send it to their postal address of record (ideally with proof-of-delivery receipt) and -- legally -- you're out the agreement and its obligations WITHOUT EARLY TERMINATION PENALTIES or other prejudices (e.g. no negative credit report hits). In Ontario, there's a Consumer Protections Ministry that you can CC: as well.

Some of the other FOR CAUSE(S) that I've read of people suffering would including ABUSE (Harassment) by CARRIER due to their billing practices. Repeating billing errors crosses the line from mistake to negligence to possibly fraud and you can fire in a LoR and be done with them.

Other subtler FOR CAUSE is failure to perform an essential purpose.

There is a fair-minded and correctness burden on the Letter Writer. But a "correctly established" Rescission Letter is powerful and cannot be ignored by the Company.

/S
Old 06-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #28
8f27e956

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
...I would have switched to a new carrier already
Yeah, and with the iPhone coming to Canada via rogers, I contemplated pulling the trigger and jumping.

In my case, though, I spend my Summer and Autumn in cottage country and Bell Mobility's rural and cottage country coverage is materially and significantly superior to rogers. (Outside of the metropolitan zones, Telus uses Bell infrastructure ... so, in context, one is the same as the other.)

Yes, I'd like to be off line on the dock, but the price of enjoying bugging out on Thursday and coming back on Tuesday is being on net and suffering the occasional intrusion.

So, from May to October, I'm kind of carrier locked.

/S
Closed Thread