Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
justsignbythex

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Trackball is completely broken!

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my 8300 Curve for about 4 months now. I extremely love it except for the fact that it does not have a video camera feature on it. But I digress...

Tonight, I let my friend use my phone because his 6+ year old Samsung flip phone from Verizon has a broken mic and his headset was also on the fritz. So I just thought to myself, what the heck.

I was doing something else and then he asked me, "Wow how do I even use this thing?" I took the phone and pressed the red/hangup key to go to the main screen. I noticed it didn't work. I rolled the trackball around but that didn't work either. I pressed other keys and it did not work. In fact, when I tried to dial using the number pad, it gave me letters instead of numbers.

I took out the battery and let the phone sit for about 5 minutes before I put it back in. Afterwards, all the keys were working fine except for the trackball. For some reason, it is almost like it is depressed, as I can leave it alone and it automatically clicks the selection. Another weird thing I noticed was that when the phone was idling or on standby mode with a black screen, there was still a hint of light coming from the trackball.

Another example is when I lock the phone. I let the phone sit on my desk and suddenly it asks me if I want to unlock the phone, as if I pressed the trackball.

I need to get this fixed because I cannot use my phone for texting or navigating through my phone without the trackball. The ball is still able to be rolled around, but nothing registers.

Any help? Thanks

Last edited by justsignbythex; 02-09-2008 at 06:11 AM..
Old 02-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
justsignbythex

Another thing I noticed is that not only the trackball is lit during idle/blackscreen, but so are all the other buttons! They are dimly lit. This even happens when I turn the phone off with the battery in!

I did not drop this phone in any way.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I would say your "buddy" is a a-hole and abused your phone in the few minutes that you let him use it. Judging by the condition of his phone and that yours was working prior to putting it in his hands, he likely pushed the trackball in so hard that it crushed the sensors behind the trackball. If not he dropped it while you were not looking.

Why don't you ask your "friend" what HE did to your phone!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Did it get wet?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
bithacker

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Did it get wet?
That was what I was thinking. I had a phone that got splashed falling out of my bag and the behaviour was similar.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #6
justsignbythex

If he "Crushed" the sensors behind the trackball, is that replaceable? Is that part of the trackball unit?

It did not get wet because he was in my room the whole time. I was using the computer while he was dialing.

I cannot even use this phone right now. How do I switch between applications? I tried the ALT + Back/return key but it does not work. The keys itself work when dialing or something.

I need a new phone right now because I can't really take this anymore. The battery drained from 90% to about 60% overnight. All it was doing was idling.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsignbythex View Post
If he "Crushed" the sensors behind the trackball, is that replaceable? Is that part of the trackball unit?

It did not get wet because he was in my room the whole time. I was using the computer while he was dialing.

I cannot even use this phone right now. How do I switch between applications? I tried the ALT + Back/return key but it does not work. The keys itself work when dialing or something.

I need a new phone right now because I can't really take this anymore. The battery drained from 90% to about 60% overnight. All it was doing was idling.
You need to head down to your local carrier store and they can fix you up. Did you friend say anything?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:

Trackballs are relatively easy to replace and pretty cheap. Here's one place to order a replacement for $11.99.

BlackBerry 8100/8300/8800 OEM trackball
Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
justsignbythex

My guess is that something is wrong than just the trackball. Sometimes the network status will change from AT&T to SIM Error and then the signal strength will turn to emergency SOS only.

Looks like I'll have to get a new phone.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #10
francislily

Model: 8320
Carrier: Orange
Unhappy i have the same problem

i brought my phone three months ago on contract and have had only a few problems with it, but they werent anything compared to this..
tonight i took it into the bathroom with me and i'm not sure whether i dropped some water on the trackball or the steam dampened it, but my trackball will move up, down, left and right but it wont press in. it just shows the letters 'uo'.

at first, i took the battery out and put it back in and it turned off straight away. i took it out and put it in again and it done the same. although the third time i did it, it stayed on and the trackball and the 'back' button wouldnt work. i decided to remove the battery and leave it for a while and when i tried again the 'back' button ended up working. but the trackball just won't..

but now, even when i'm not moving the trackball it makes a clicking noise constantly while having the phone turned on and i literally cannot do anything with it. i'm not sure what to do, whether to take it to the store or not... i am really not happy at all as i'm only 16 and as you can imagine i cant live without my phone haha. i'm not sure if its the actual trackball or also something to do with the phone :(

but, i was just wondering what you would suggest?
thanks x

Last edited by francislily; 11-20-2008 at 03:54 PM..
Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
infernalaanger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
My guess is that something is wrong than just the trackball. Sometimes the network status will change from AT&T to SIM Error and then the signal strength will turn to emergency SOS only.

Looks like I'll have to get a new phone.
Warranty replacement. My 8310's volume buttons went on the fritz a few months back...I'm assuming my 15 mo. old son got ahold of it and did some practice throws with it.

AT&T replaced it and I had the new phone in about 2 days if I remember correctly. For once I was actually impressed with a major carrier's customer service...of course I didn't disclose my assumption of my son's pitching practice with it.
Closed Thread