AlanKM

Model: 7100t
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodaphone
Default "Lookup" to add personal contact doesn't include notes domain

Please Login to Remove!

Hi.
Forgive me as I'm new to BB admin!

When a BB User does a lookup and adds a contact from the Notes Public Address Book it comes across fine to BB, except that it doesn't bring the Notes Domain

When the BB and Notes personal address book synch together a new contact is added into notes ok - but missing the domain.

When the user then tries, in their notes client, to send an e-mail they get a pop up about the name being "not unique" - two entries are listed - the Notes Public Address book entry - with domain and the personal address book entry without.

Ideally we want to stop this popup happening. Now if the user then adds the domain into the notes personal address book it will work fine. But that's a bit much to ask each user to do that every time they get back to their client.

Is there a way to either pull the notes domain into BB when you add a contact via Lookup?
Or, is there a way to force a manipulation of the e-mail address to add on the domain at the end?

As I say I'm new to BB and have spent a few hours wandering through the forums but haven't seen anything quite like this. Any thoughts, links to technical docs etc would be much appreciated
Thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

OK. I have just tried this on my BB. When I do a lookup, and add the contact to my BB address book, it pulls the internet address of the user, not the hierarchical notes username and domain.

Have you ever made any changes to your global PIM sync field mappings?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
AlanKM

Unhappy

Jolly good question!
I've no idea!
This morning I came in as a Notes Admin of many years standing (and lots sitting down)
I've been asked to look into this issue - so apart from knowing what a BB is I'm lost...
(and yes - using the internet address does sound a better solution)

Well, it's saying that that Desktop field "e-mail" is mapped to "e-mail 1"
"Other e-mail1" and 2 map to e-mail 2 and 3

What I don't know is how to find what e-mail/e-mail1 actually maps to in Domino?
Sorry to be such an idiot - it's all so new!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Do you have access to BlackBerry Manager? (An application for BES admin)
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Actually hold up, not sure this is relevant. PIM sync field mappings are local BB fields -->
PAB fields, so don't think lookup is implicated here.
Let me have a think...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKM View Post
Well, it's saying that that Desktop field "e-mail" is mapped to "e-mail 1"
"Other e-mail1" and 2 map to e-mail 2 and 3

What I don't know is how to find what e-mail/e-mail1 actually maps to in Domino?
These mappings relate to field in the notes Personal Address Book.
Your mappings are the same as mine, so that's not it...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

OK, could you post your domino version and BES version?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
AlanKM

Thanks VERY much for your help so far - nice to know there are some good people out there!

Blackberry is 4.1, Domino is 7.02 client and servers

Is there a link to some documentation I can use to look at how to BB/Domino mapping is setup...I might as well try to get some idea of how it all works!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
AlanKM

One thing just to add in. I've done some testing on the basis that we were to bring across the internet address - and that still doesn't work.

We (as an organisation) have made the decision to use "exhaustively check all address books" on the location doc.

Even with the internet address - because the domain is still blank it still brings up the "not unique" even though they are the same

So. I guess the better request now is to any documentation that defines how these PIM synch things are setup and configured to see if we can append/manipulate it to get a field which can fill the "Mail Domain" in the local address book entry for that person

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
We (as an organisation) have made the decision to use "exhaustively check all address books" on the location doc.
You're going to have to be very specific then with the format of addresses then, otherwise you're always going to see that prompt.

Sorry to be simplistic about this, but I assume the idea here is that your users have domino directory records in pab to avoid repeated lookups on BB.
In which case, can they not add records via notes as opposed to BB? i.e. open public dom dir, use "copy to local address book" option - that way, all info comes across formatted properly for PAB.

I know it is bypassing the problem as opposed to "fixing" it, but it is a cleaner way to do it, as then you get the notes certificates and everything else copying over and ALL fields as oppsed to BB-restricted-number-of-fields. Going fwd it would allow the encrypting of mail to the users in PAB etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
One thing just to add in. I've done some testing on the basis that we were to bring across the internet address - and that still doesn't work.

Even with the internet address - because the domain is still blank it still brings up the "not unique" even though they are the same
Hmmm... Are you saying that by amending your Global PIM Sync Settings you were able to change the data pulled/copied to BB by a lookup?

(I had maybe wrongly assumed global pim sync settings referred only to notes pab<-->bb add bk)
Old 06-26-2008, 03:47 AM   #12
AlanKM

Hi again!

The testing I did was simplistic in that I just created a local contact in my notes personal address book and put the internet address in (to mimic what would happen if in the PIM Mapping we pulled back the internet address)

The same thing happened as there still wouldn't be a Mail Domain

I agree that it would be nice to force all the customers to only ever add local contacts in their notes client - but sadly they want the flexibility to be able to add via Lookup on their BB. To be fair not THAT many do it this way - but, in true admin fashion, those that do are high enough up the importance chain that a workaround is not a sufficient workaround.

I had a look through the BB Admin document but it doesn't actually define what field maps to what notes field in the design.

Given that the root problem is that the "Lookup" doesn't bring across a domain entry - am I correct in thinking that it will use the PIM Mapping when it creates the BB contact details?

Assuming that is correct - do you know of anything/links etc which explicitly tell me what physical notes design field name is mapped to in what in BB? The BB Admin doesn't seem to show that explicit map and just talks about the defined fields.

Without knowing exactly how it's mapped, and whether I can change it in any way I'm a bit stuck!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:57 AM   #13
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
The testing I did was simplistic in that I just created a local contact in my notes personal address book and put the internet address in (to mimic what would happen if in the PIM Mapping we pulled back the internet address)

The same thing happened as there still wouldn't be a Mail Domain
Notes does not find duplicates on mail addresses, it works on usernames. What username did you use with the internet address? Just Joe Bloggs? Or the full hierarchical address?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:00 AM   #14
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Quote:
I had a look through the BB Admin document but it doesn't actually define what field maps to what notes field in the design.

Given that the root problem is that the "Lookup" doesn't bring across a domain entry - am I correct in thinking that it will use the PIM Mapping when it creates the BB contact details?
Well, this is the point I was trying to make earlier.

The PIM Sync Global settings (AFAIK) have nothing to do with looked-up data. They are to do with mapping the ADDRESS BOOK ON THE BB to the ADDRESS BOOK IN NOTES - the PERSONAL address book. I might be wrong, but AFAIK they do NOT relate to "data pulled from Domino Directory via a lookup then copied to BB Address Book"

The PIM Sync settings are, er, defined on BES. You can see them. It shows you the mapping between BB field and PERSONAL address book fields. This means that if there is a field you use in PAB, that is not BY DEFAULT mapped to a BB field, you can change this and therefore enable data to be pushed to device.

Sorry, but I have no hard data on what info a lookup pulls/caches or how to change it. If you do manage to find that out, please let me know!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

OK - FYI

I have my notes client set to "exhaustively check all address books"

Yesterday, I did a lookup on my BB for one of the admins I work with, let's call him Bob Jones.

BB lookup showed me:

First Name Last Name
Company
Job Title
Email (internet address shown)
Work phone
Work fax

I then clicked on ADD CONTACT and EXACTLY the same info was shown in BB Address Book

When this SAME record pushed back to my PAB in notes, info shown was:

First Name
Last Name
Email (shown as Bob Jones/UK/Org - NO DOMAIN!)
Company
Job Title
Office phone
Office fax
Also note that on the FULL NAME field there were 2 entries: Bob Jones/UK/Org and Bob Jones

IF I CLICK the Email button, and change type from NOTES to INTERNET it shows me the "proper" internet address of [email address] (but I did not save changes, i.e. save doc as internet address, I left it as Bob Jones/UK/Org in the address line.) If I clicked on the Email button and selected notes, I can confirm that the domain was BLANK and the username was Bob Jones/UK/Org.

When I then composed/sent a message to that user from notes, I was NOT shown a duplicate address lookup. This is *most likely* as the username of Bob Jones/UK/Org was able to match to the exact same username in the Domino Dir, and pickup the domain.

I would be interested to know where your processes differ from mine - i.e. if you follow the exact same steps, are there any differences in the data being pulled?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
AlanKM

Sorry - I'd clearly missed what you were getting at - a little confusion on my part trying to get my head around it all.

my collegaue has been running stuff against the raw BB SQL db and found some xml config files

I'll post when we get to the bottom of that!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
AlanKM

Hi - well we've made our investigations but in the end the management decided on a quick solution

What we did find is that
- It's a nightmare to try to fiddle with the default mappings in BB
- We also confirmed that BB uses an API to create the contact in the personal address book. Part of this is to create the fields it needs to maps. That means that you don't get the change to run any events/post opens in the Contact form on the Notes contact document to do any changes. Even if you delete (say) MAilAddress from the contact form BB will create that field for you.

We did have the option of running some agents on our local address books (they're held on the server in our config) but that was too deemed too complex to do. Similarly further investigation into the BB mapping was deemed too much effort.

In the end the problem was caused by our use of "Exhaustively check all address books" and the decision was made to apply a policy to "stop after first match" for bb users. Not ideal but there you go

Thanks for all your help and suggestions they were VERY much appreciated
Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #18
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

You're welcome, I'm only sorry we couldn't find a definitive fix. Sometimes the way of the world in BES...