Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Supanatral
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: iPhon
Carrier: Rogers
Default Why do messages fail in BPS?

Please Login to Remove!

We have BPS installed and I got a call this morning from a user saying that she is missing emails on her blackberry however she has the emails showing on exchange. After a quick look, I realized that BPS was reporting a total of 187 messages failed. Why would some messages fail?

Also, I had another user yesterday report that sometimes she wouldn't get any email for a bit, then all of a sudden she'd get a dump of new email on her phone. What is the first step in diagnosing blackberry server issues?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Hello -

(This is from the frame of reference of BES)

I would first look though the event logs for your server O/S (Windows, Linux, or UNIX). also pull the battery on the handheld for >30 seconds.

I would get a copy of the BlackBerry Server Resource Kits tools. You can use the BES logs from the BES to to run one of the BRK utilities against. Pending.exe, OutOfCoverage.exe and the useful MessageFlow.exe are helpful in parsing the logs.

Generally our mail delivery issues are one of two things
1.telco wireless coverage issues
2.mail file/mail store health issues (we're on IBM Lotus Domino)

You environment may behave differently, so take the above with a "grain of salt."

Also the BES server should have at least 4GB of RAM available to it (going straight to 4GB of memory just "alleviates" a lot of quirkiness with the BES and should only cost a few hundred dollars at today's memory prices).

other than that you can wipe the device and reload:
1.security wipe the device (home, options, security options, general settings, Wipe Handheld (from content menu).
2.load latest O/S on the handheld
3.optionally delete and re-add the user to the BES/BPS.
4.reactivate the user on the handheld.

Also be sure to use the latest/greatest stable builds of everything.
1.Mail server software. Stay on top of these.
2.BlackBerry Server Software, including Service Packs and Maintenance Releases for BES/BPS. Try not to get too far behind on these.
3.Handheld OS (try no tto get too far behind on these)
Closed Thread