cjsasl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Koodo
Default BB q5 WiFi issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I bought my gf a q5 last year for Christmas & everything worked great until about 3 months ago when it just stopped detecting available wifi connections. It tried entering the name manually but it won't connect. Not just to her wifi but it won't detect any, not the saved ones or a new one.

I can connect using my z10, my Surface 3 & her laptop so there is no issue there.

Sometimes when I go to options...network connections...wifi it will scan & detect 1 (mine shows 7). If I turn off the wifi & turn it back on it scans again & finds nothing.

Only once did it show her network name in the list but wouldn't connect.

I read that if mobile hotspot was turned on it would do this but mobile hotspot is turned off.

I compared her settings to mine & everything matches up.

Anyone have any solutions short of resetting the damn phone?

Thanks in advance.

Update: I sat right in from of the wireless modem & it detected it in the list & when I entered the password it connected fine. As soon as a moved away from the modem it lost the connection.

Last edited by cjsasl; 11-27-2015 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BB q5 WiFi issues

Did you try doing a soft reset? There are two methods. One is by holding down the up and down volume buttons. You will hear the device make a screen shot, and keep holding until the device starts into the rebooting cycle. The other method is by holding the power button down for about 10 seconds. If you try it one way and the problem persists, then try the other method and test again.

Other ideas.... You can do a reset to factory defaults using BlackBerry Link. Do a full backup first, and IMPORTANT you must know the BlackBerry ID if you are running OS 10.3.2. If the problem is corrupt settings, this should fix it. Test before you restore. If the problem returns after a restore, then it would see the corrupt settings are in the backup.

To rule out a software glitch you will need to do a clean OS install using Link. Again, test before you restore.

Hopefully a soft reset fixes the problem.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
cjsasl

Hello Aiharkness,

I tried the soft reset (both) & it still doing the same thing. Within a foot of any wireless router it will connect but as soon as you get 3-4 feet away it drops the connection.

I guess the last option is to do factory reset but she won't like that because she will lose all her BBM chats. So I think I'll just leave it as is for now because she has 1 Gig data & only uses about 70-100 MB/month. I'll just connect to my Surface tablet if any major updates are to be downloaded.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

One other idea. I didn't mention it because you say only the Q5 has the problem. But just for giggles, power cycle the router. If there is a separate modem, turn off the power on that as well. Count to 10 slowly and then turn power on again. Then test the BlackBerry.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
cjsasl

It does the same thing with every wireless connection not just hers. So it is definitely an issue with the q5.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

This where you are at.....

You need to do a clean OS reload to rule out software. Do a backup first. Do a full backup. Also selectively backup each of the three databases. Test the clean OS before you restore. If all is well, restore. If the problem returns, do a security wipe and then selectively restore to narrow the problem

You may be ok after the restore, or you may find you have to dump one of the databases. Maybe you preserve the chats, or maybe not. Once you know where you stand then you can make a decision.

Or you can leave it alone, as you are doing. Maybe things will change with a nondestructive OS upgrade. Don't know.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread