Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
jungleexplorer

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default How to Delete user data? 9630

Please Login to Remove!

I know this question has been asked before, but I have yet to find a reasonable answer to it. Here is my situation. My wife's friend who is on the Verizon network got a new phone and gave my wife her BB 9630. We are on the AT&T network so I had to unlock the phone. Unlocking was not a problem. The problem is getting rid of her friends number. I have gone through every setting and changed all the user data to my wife's number, but her friends data is still there. I did a complete wipe through "Security" to reset it to factory defaults and the old data persist. The mail problem is voice mail. To call voice mail you press and hold the 1 button. But when my wife does that it calls her friends number. In the "Option" menu there is a "Voicemail" option and I have changed the number there to my wife's number but the dumb phone still calls the old number. I hate this phone! How does blackberry stay in business making things this hard.

Thousands of phones are bought and sold everyday! There has to be a simple solution to this problem. Can someone help me before I shoot this phone with my .243 deer rifle!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: How to Delete user data? 9630

So, you're using a 9630 on ATT.
The 9630 is not intended for GSM networks and you won't get full function from it for the internet browser.

But... that's your choice. To change the "Your Number" press the green dial key and dial ##000000

You will be presented with a screen where you can enter the correct number.

And, dude, again, you can hate it, shoot it and whine all you want, but you're using a device not intended for your network. It won't be easy.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
jungleexplorer

Thanks for the help. I know this phone was not intended for my network. I don't care for two reasons. First, this is not my phone, it's my wife's phone, and she is about tech illiterate as they come. She wants a phone to make calls and to text and that is it. It has to be really simple for her which is why she kept screeming at me every time she pressed 1 to dial her voicemail and it kept calling her friend. I told her just to dial her own phone number, but that was to complicated for her, if you get my drift. My wife wanted this phone, not because it is the best phone for her, but because she liked the way it looked. Get a tech illiterate wife for yourself one day and try to explain to her why the phone she wants won't work right because it's on a different network and all the other stuff that goes along with that. Give it a try! You will end up right where I am at wanted to shoot the stupid phone.

The second reason I don't care is because I don't have a data plan. I actually have all data force blocked by AT&T. Why? because I think it is just plain wasteful and stupid to pay $60 or more a month just to have the convenience checking my facebook when at the store for an hour. I am a certified PC tech and web designer. Any serious web browsing or computer work I am going to do, I will do on one of my two laptops or five self-built quad-core desktops on my extended wifi network, or on a wifi hotspot. I was dirt poor has a child and I think is dumb to pay what the networks are asking for mobile data plans. They can go jump in a lake. When they offer a "Truly" unlimited dependable high speed data plan that includes tethering for $40 a month, I will dump my local ISP and switch to mobile data. Until then I will just watch the suckers out there who can't afford a car payment and are walking because they just can't live with out their overpriced mobile data plan. They might freeze to death on the side of the road because the would not spend $60 on a decent coat, but at least they were able to post a last word to facebook before they died. It's all about priorities!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Thank you for the lecture. Remember you came to an all volunteer forum looking for information. The fact that you are a PC Tech is immaterial. Big deal.

Have you dealt with BlackBerrys before? Are you aware that AT&T will add a BlackBerry Data Plan to the account if they see one there?

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 07-28-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Wow.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
jungleexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Thank you for the lecture. Remember you came to an all volunteer forum looking for information. The fact that you are a PC Tech is immaterial. Big deal.

Have you dealt with BlackBerrys before? Are you aware that AT&T will add a BlackBerry Data Plan to the account if they see one there?

Wasn't trying to lecture anyone. I was just expressing my own opinion. "Opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one and most of them stink". Sorry if my opinion stinks to you, it's just my opinion.

Me being a certified PC tech is very relevant. It should tell you that I am not an uninformed tech illiterate person that doesn't know my head from a hole in the ground when it comes to technology. Knowing this helps you determine where to start at when it comes to offering advice. So yes, it is very relevant to know that you are dealing with a geek and not a tech illiterate novice if you want to avoid covering a lot of area that I already know.

As far as AT&T adding a data plan because they detect the BB, you are misinformed here. AT&T wants you to believe that they will and most CS reps will tell you that they will, but the truth is that they will not if you acquire the phone from someone other then AT&T. AT&T phones are subsidized to offer a lower cost to their clients. They recoup the cost of the phone through their absorbent data plan fees. So when you get a new smartphone from them, you have to sign a contract, and in that contract you have to agree to except that AT&T will force you to buy a data plan as a condition of them selling you the phone. When you buy a phone from someone else, there is no contract between you and AT&T and they have no legal right to force you to buy a data plan. But you must be careful to have AT&T block all data on your account or you will end up with a multi-hundred dollar phone bill even if you don't do anything on the internet. Why? Because smartphone are just like PC's, they are constantly checking for and downloading software updates, and at 1 cent a kilobyte ($10 a megabyte) 10 or 20 megabytes a month will cost you hundreds. This is too complicated for most people to understand, so most AT&T CS reps just tell people that they have to buy a data plan even if they get a phone second hand. It just avoids a lot of hassle down the road when the tech illiterate person gets that outrageous phone bill and cry's foul.

Now there is a lecture for you. And no, this time it is not just my opinion, it is the facts.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Wow.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
absorbent data plan fees
???????????

Like Bounty?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
jungleexplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
???????????

Like Bounty?

LOL! Yes, cell phone carriers are all adsorbent. In other words they "Suck!"
They are greedy money grubbers that abuse their power. They use deceptive advertising, out right lies and emotional enticement to lock uninformed people into overpriced contracts and then they stick it to them if they want to get out.

I have lived in other countries and they have a more straight forward approach. Like in Brazil where it cost you nothing to have an active cell phone that can receive calls, no contract, no expiration date, nothing. You only pay when you make a call. So every poor person in the country can have a cell phone and you can call them at no cost to them. They can get a monthly plan if they want or can afford one, but they can have the phone and service without one. Do you think one of the US companies would do something like this? Not on your life!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Such a hater.
Wow.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

There is a simple answer for that. If you can't afford a phone or plan, then don't get one. I really don't see what the issue is.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleexplorer View Post
I have lived in other countries .... Like in Brazil...
Then go back there and perhaps some of your vitriol will diminish.
Closed Thread