Please Login to Remove!

replaced

Last edited by mlkimmey; 05-21-2007 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: added picture
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #42
mlkimmey

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Smile BlackBerry Buzz Stopper

For less than $10, you can build a little shelter for your BlackBerry that pretty much takes care of the problem. Three pieces of sheet metal, connected by hinges. Back panel is 8" high by 6" wide; side panels are each 8" high by 5" wide. Hinges are set in a bit on the back panel so that the sides will stop when opened. A rubber grommet in the back protects the USB cable from chafing. The entire thing folds flat. Email me at <kimmey@pbworld.com> for a photo if you can't see the one I tried to attach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dsc01395d.jpg (97.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #43
AZA43
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Why Your BlackBerry Causes Speakers to Buzz

Hello All,
My name is Al Sacco and I'm a writer with CIO.com and a faithful BlackBerry user. I recently wrote a blog post about why BlackBerrys, and other cell phones, cause nearby speakers and electronics to buzz when sending or receiving a communication or when checking in with a cell tower. You know that annoying buzz that eminates from the Polycom in the middle of meetings and conference calls. I asked RIM's global intelligence director for some information and he told me why the buzz occurs, what's being done on an industry level to address the noise, even a few ways users can muffle it. Check it out.

Thanks. AS.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #44
SuperChef42

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkimmey View Post
The Blackberry-induced buzz on my speakers and headset phone (the amplifier cradle was between the two) was driving me crazy, so I started experimenting with ways to attenuate the RF interference. I found that a simple sheet of aluminum foil is a field expedient solution. I took a 24-inch length, folded six inches in from the long ends to provide stability, which then formed a U. When rested on its side, it's about 12 inches high. I placed this around my Blackberry with the open end to the front, and the buzz problem went away. There does not appear to be any interference with the operation of my Blackberry. It LOOKS funny sitting on my desk, but I can live with that. Next step is figure out how short I can cut it without the problem coming back, and then asking someone to bend a small piece of tin to the same dimensions.
This aluminum foil tent suggestion worked!
While I am sure I folded it differently, the buzzing on my pc speakers stopped with each sync. Phone calls and email pushes were not affected.

Thanks for the tip!
My co-workers thank you too.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #45
DougT5R

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

My 8700 once kicked on my whole house fan when I left my phone in the hallway and I got an incoming call. Lol
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #46
greeneggsandham
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Darby
Carrier: FBSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzs View Post
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 6310i: Nokia6310i/1.0 (7.00) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

This usually only happens with unshielded speakers such as phones, clock and car radios, and cheap (computer) speakers.
I don't think this is limited to cheap speakers. For example, the speakers connected up to my workstation list for around $450/pr ("low end" studio monitors) and GSM makes them buzz. Very annoying for me. Hence need to keep phone several feet away. Not viable tactic if you're working in cube farm land though. BB's also make the speakers in my living room buzz from time to time if I'm standing w/in a few feet. I won't tell you how much those puppies cost but suffice to say I doubt anyone would accuse Bowers & Wilkins of being cheap. Hence I don't think a speaker upgrade is likely to solve OP's problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herver View Post
The cause of that annoying voice when your phone received any signal is the poor designed of your computer audio speaker.Put some metal shield of your audio speaker amplifier,observed proper grounding to prevent rf interference enter on your audio devices.
My monitors are shielded, grounded, and connected via XLR cables. It's the cones and drivers, as noted by HiTek146.

Last edited by greeneggsandham; 10-25-2007 at 11:32 AM..
Old 11-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #47
jagooch

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT
Question Big Question

Is there anything this I can buy that reduces/eliminates the noise? More than once I was ready to throw my Blackberry out the Window to stop the noise, it irritates me that much. I could do the aluminum foil trick if someone is willing to post a picture of what the end result should look like.

Thx!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #48
eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Happened with our Nokia e62 and now the Blackberry 8310.

Not a big deal for us.

r,
eagle
Closed Thread