Old 08-15-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default GPS.. Is it possible?

Please Login to Remove!

Alright, the 7750 has GPS built in apparently, it gives you a menu with the option of allowing 911, or all calls to know your GPS location.

Is there a possibility of creating software that will grab the GPS coordinates and mapping them? even without the map, knowing your GPS coordinates would be amazing.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
yzoer

Default Re: GPS.. Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Alright, the 7750 has GPS built in apparently, it gives you a menu with the option of allowing 911, or all calls to know your GPS location.

Is there a possibility of creating software that will grab the GPS coordinates and mapping them? even without the map, knowing your GPS coordinates would be amazing.

Any thoughts?
First, I don't know where everybody gets their info from that the 77xx has GPS build in.. Somebody get me a link. Second, it's got a USB port, which means you should be able to write a driver for your off-the-shelf GPS unit. The 850 had a serial port which made it really easy to have it 'phone-home' every minute or so with a position report..

Yvo
Old 08-18-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Most phones out on the market lately have EGPS built in, which does one thing only, when you call 911, it gives them your location. This way if you drive off a cliff or something, hit 911 prior to being knocked out or whatever, they can find out exactly where you're located.

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt
Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
bb_tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: GPS.. Is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzoer
Quote:

Any thoughts?
First, I don't know where everybody gets their info from that the 77xx has GPS build in.. Somebody get me a link. Second, it's got a USB port, which means you should be able to write a driver for your off-the-shelf GPS unit. The 850 had a serial port which made it really easy to have it 'phone-home' every minute or so with a position report..

Yvo
The BlackBerry 7750 HAS GPS built-in. The icon to the right of the date..that is to indicate GPS is enabled.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

But is it Location GPS, or EGPS? I can't find anything saying what function this GPS serves on that model, everything only says "built in gps". Yay, yippie, my Moto V600 has built in GPS too but it's EGPS which is worthless to me unless my life is in danger lol. I'd be quite curious of it's full function myself, even though I don't own one, it's be cool to know what it can/not do.

[url]htt
Old 08-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #6
bb_tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

The only things I can find on "internal" websites is it is E2 GPS. I also saw mention of AGPS.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #7
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

E2 GPS is the second "update" if you will to EGPS, only E2 allows emergency providers (at this time, mainly police in the states, and VERY few major city Fire Dept's) see your location on a computer screen in their vehicle on their way to you. So they can pinpoint EXACTLY how to get to you, and kind of cut out the dispatcher. It was being tested in Philadelphia when I stoped working as a medic for the city. the AGPS I'm not sure what that is lol.

[url]htt
Old 08-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #8
Boheme
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290V
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi guys,

I think the "GPS" thing is done over location based services.
You will find more on this website:

http://www.mobilein.com/location_based_services.htm

Especially this part is important:

Quote:
Emergeny services
Hopefully not many readers of this article will have to rely on dialing 9-1-1 from a mobile phone, but if you do, it is a location based emergency service application that pinpoints your location and relays it the appropriate authorities. The FCC has mandated that by October of 2001, all wireless carriers in the United States must provide a certain degree of accuracy in pinpointing the location of mobile users who dial 9-1-1.
Hope this helps.

bye Boheme
Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 AM   #9
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boheme
Hi guys,

I think the "GPS" thing is done over location based services.
You will find more on this website:

http://www.mobilein.com/location_based_services.htm

Especially this part is important:

Quote:
Emergeny services
Hopefully not many readers of this article will have to rely on dialing 9-1-1 from a mobile phone, but if you do, it is a location based emergency service application that pinpoints your location and relays it the appropriate authorities. The FCC has mandated that by October of 2001, all wireless carriers in the United States must provide a certain degree of accuracy in pinpointing the location of mobile users who dial 9-1-1.
Hope this helps.

bye Boheme

Well since the location can somewhat be ponpointed, is there a way of writing a program that can get that info. The 7750 has an option in the menu on whether GPS is enabled for all numbers, or just for 911.

If there was some sort of data number we can setup to call and relay the information back, or just make a fake call using the blackberry, I bet someone could write software that would show your exact co-ordinates, or at least moderately close.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:11 AM   #10
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

There is probably a way, using the same software base as the emergency centers use. Unfortunatly trying to get that exact software for the code would be a pain. However I'm sure it's possible, it's a matter of writting a computer based program, maybe in C or even in something a bit more complex oracle or something. Not sure, would be a fun project for someone who codes good ;)

[url]htt
Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #11
LL
Knows Where the Search Button Is

does the 7510 have any sorts of gps built in?
ill try to find more info out from my rep at rim about the gps features.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
bb_tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL
does the 7510 have any sorts of gps built in?
ill try to find more info out from my rep at rim about the gps features.
Currently only the 6750 and the 7750 have built-in GPS.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo

I'm still confused whether these gps devices have a REAL GPS chip with GPS antenna OR that they have the technology built in to do a trigonometry calculation.

I simply can't imagine there is real GPS hardware in that device, although it would explain it's size :D

Don't forget that a GPS antenna is usually around 1 inch by 1 inch and needs to be looking at the clear skies...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
I'm still confused whether these gps devices have a REAL GPS chip with GPS antenna OR that they have the technology built in to do a trigonometry calculation.

I simply can't imagine there is real GPS hardware in that device, although it would explain it's size :D

Don't forget that a GPS antenna is usually around 1 inch by 1 inch and needs to be looking at the clear skies...
I think that the GPS is basically knowing the location of towers, and then calculates how long packets take to travel to and from said towers.

I say this mainly because the GPS function only works while the phone is connected (ie. Calling 911)
Old 08-26-2004, 07:33 AM   #15
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo

I think that the GPS is basically knowing the location of towers, and then calculates how long packets take to travel to and from said towers.

I say this mainly because the GPS function only works while the phone is connected (ie. Calling 911)
Thanks, that is what I thought, I couldnt imagine it having a full GPS chipset in it, which would be useless when you are indoors anyway...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #16
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

Most newer phones now, with GPS built in use packet technology to pinpoint location, just as Guess said, using packet travel time and blah blah. It's really interesting the way it works, and more so interesting how it STILL manages to work with decent accuracy if a tower happens to be down for whatever reason. 3 towers is all that's required, 5 is ideal. I believe this is how the new Nextel's out are able to use GPS functions, it's not a GPS per-se as in the need of satalites, it goes off the towers. As far as I am aware and from my reading anyway.

[url]htt
Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #17
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

In my opinion they should not be allowed to call this GPS, as it simply isn't.

I offer services in Europe using Location based services, and I wouldn't dream of calling it "GPS". It's confusing, it's probably that the GPS system isn't commercial or they wouldn't get away with this.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #18
MrCynical
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothalyptic
I believe this is how the new Nextel's out are able to use GPS functions, it's not a GPS per-se as in the need of satalites, it goes off the towers. As far as I am aware and from my reading anyway.
Gothalyptic,

That's a common misconception, and partially based on the fact that our documentation is poo.

In many cases with GPS tracking (keep in mind I'm preaching Nextel here), if the handheld goes out of direct GPS view, the handheld will revert to the closest tower. We definitely use the satellites, enhanced by a GPS location server in the network, though, so both parts are euqally true and false
Old 08-31-2004, 03:24 PM   #19
ElBarto

Nextel uses GPS satellites, but can revert to cellular towers if no gps is found. On apps like Telenav or Way-to-Go, GPS satellite is the only way. The product Mobile Locator, uses both GPS and Cellular. One thing to remember is that for a 3rd party app on a phone, it requires JAVA. This is the reason why only some handsets offered by Nextel can actually be used in tracking/directions/etc. As for GPS on the BB, the next BB released by Nextel is planning on implementing AGPS support, which will allow users to obtain the gps info. Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 PM   #20
MrCynical
Thumbs Must Hurt

Man, I'm going to break someone's legs if I see them sporting a new blackberry before I get one!
Closed Thread