BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Do you have a screen protector on your BlackBerry?
Yes, and it rules 78 50.00%
Yes, but you know, whatever. 21 13.46%
No, but I'm going to hook one up 21 13.46%
No, and no. 32 20.51%
Just call me scratchy 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
proFeign
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Anybody used screen protectors?

Please Login to Remove!

I just ordered a boxwave "crystal" screen protector because their screen protectors for PDAs are second to none. I have the 7100g (just got it two days ago!) and it has a recessed screen that will lend itself well to having a screen protector put on it, but the protector was $11 for one ! Anyway, just wanted to know if people have used any screen protectors and if they like them or if they peel off easily when holstering etc....

Thanks!

-proFeign
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
goluchowski

I bought a Boxwave but it seemed a little too big because it would lift at the corners. They are great otherwise.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I think you can use some good sharp scissors to trim the screen protectors, to fit them properly on the BlackBerries. This could even be used to convert a full-sized traditional PDA screen protector into a BlackBerry-compatible screen protector, if you have spares lying around for older PDA's. Since the BlackBerry screens are typically smaller.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
teskew
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular

I bought some off ebay...I think I paid $10 for 3. They work fine for me.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
harleyxlc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile

I use the Boxwave Crystal, where I normally use an anti-glare on my pda's. I like the look, but it is too big and lifts around the edges. Even after trimming it does. My pdas do a bit of that too with the crystal ones. Not a big deal, but I do notice it.

I used a JavoEdge on an earlier bb 7100t. It was anti-glare, but fit much nicer.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 7290

We have ScreenGuardz for the 7100 and they fit perfect - 15 for $9.80. I use them on my Treo as well and again perfect fit. They are developing 72xx sized protectors but the matte screen finish requires a special backing on the protector... coming soon.

http://store.bizshopr.com/scrnlsb711004.html

AIM: SmartPhoneDepot
Old 04-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Ferguson

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I disagree about the boxwave, I got three and have had the first on for a month or so now, and it's perfect. I did trim a tiny, tiny bit from one side but mostly because I had it ever so slightly crooked and that was easiest. I can see a bit of air around the edges, but off the screen area so it's not noticable. It's stayed transparent, wipes off easily, and doesn't appear to be wearing at all. Same is on a PDA I have given to my wife, and also on the first Boxwave.

THey are very expensive, but they are very good.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
proFeign

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
I disagree about the boxwave, I got three and have had the first on for a month or so now, and it's perfect. I did trim a tiny, tiny bit from one side but mostly because I had it ever so slightly crooked and that was easiest. I can see a bit of air around the edges, but off the screen area so it's not noticable. It's stayed transparent, wipes off easily, and doesn't appear to be wearing at all. Same is on a PDA I have given to my wife, and also on the first Boxwave.

No kidding about the price. Really. I hope it's analogous to eGrips because those things kick serious ***. Sticky like there's no tomorrow, but not adhesive per se. Also remarkably durable. I have a cleartouch crystal on my Axim x30H and it's too shiny, but that's kind of what you want in a phone, maybe. Anyway it has stood up well but I can't say I've abused it at all.

rcg, I ordered a 15 pack of yours because even if I love the boxwave I have a friend with a 7100 for whom it would be a nice gift. Thanks for the link

I love the phone so far but would like to be able to set distinguishable vibrating patterns so I'll know if I'm getting a call, or my calendar is notifying me, or I got an e-mail. I'll post in another thread but if y'all have advice I'd love to hear it.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
geekman686
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e

I tried to use the boxwave crystal on my bb 7250, but I found that it distorts the screen, so much that I found it annoying.

So now I am going o-natural.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
merlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: 2059E07F
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
I disagree about the boxwave, I got three and have had the first on for a month or so now,

Actually, they are quite cheap for what they are. I have had the same one for 2 years. First on a PDA then cut to size for my 7290.

The beauty of the boxwave is that when it gets dirty, you just was it under cold water, let it dry and it becomes sticky again so you can reuse time after time

Merlin
Old 04-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #11
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by proFeign
rcg, I ordered a 15 pack of yours because even if I love the boxwave I have a friend with a 7100 for whom it would be a nice gift. Thanks for the link

Thanks for the order.

Install hint on the ScreenGuardz... the tiny bubbles disappear after 2 days... don't freak out on trying to get rid of them when you do the initial install.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
proFeign

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcg
Thanks for the order.

Install hint on the ScreenGuardz... the tiny bubbles disappear after 2 days... don't freak out on trying to get rid of them when you do the initial install.
Thanks; it's good to know that. I'm sure my friend with the phone will be happy to get some free screen protectors out of it.

I won't freak out, then. I got my Cleartouch and it was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too big. I had to cut off a lot of it before it would stick because the 7100g has a much more recessed screen than the others, I guess. Anyway I'm kind of bummed about that because it was pretty pricey to not fit right. I had to cut off over 1/4 inch of both length and width. :(
Old 04-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #13
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

The ScreenGuardz fit perfecto. Pretty durable too.

I use them on my 7100.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #14
nevaspendnocheez

i bought a pack of belkin pda screen protectors for my 7230 and it ended up being a good value because after trimming them to fit i get twice as many but my only concern is removing the damn things. in the event i need to take them off whats the easiest way to do so ?

the instructions said to trim the film to the edges for a perfect fit but i knew that wouldn't be a good idea when it came time to remove/replace them so i left a small portion of the left side of the screen uncovered. i read somewhere else that you can use tape to pull them off but that really didn't work (maybe i need stickier tape .. i dunno). thank god i left a small space to peel the thing back.

any other suggestions re: this problem ?
Old 04-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
rcg
Platinum Sponsor

Use a business card to catch an edge of the protector - and lift.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
BoxWave
Platinum Sponsor

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular
Default BoxWave here :)

I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't realize we had so many BoxWave supporters on here. I'll be happy to put together a $100 BlackBerry Cleartouch screen protector giveaway to 7-8 BlackBerry users if the moderators are interested. Just shoot me a PM, and we'll set it up.

Wing
BoxWave

Last edited by BoxWave; 12-20-2006 at 07:29 PM..
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

I never heard of them. I know about BestSkinsEver and ShieldZone. I believe Siedo also has one too.

Even though this is old thread, I voted!

Did anyone else did?

Last edited by secrecyguy; 11-22-2006 at 03:10 PM..
Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Bluffheights90814
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default ShieldZone?

Has anyone had any experience with the Shieldzone brand of screen protectors? I was on their website and the product looks very interesting. The not only have a protector for the Blackberry (in my case the Pearl) but a protector for the entire face and back of the Blackberry.

Any comments from anyone who has tried this brand?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluffheights90814
Has anyone had any experience with the Shieldzone brand of screen protectors? I was on their website and the product looks very interesting. The not only have a protector for the Blackberry (in my case the Pearl) but a protector for the entire face and back of the Blackberry.

Any comments from anyone who has tried this brand?
I have the shieldzone protectors. I like them. It makes the BB very easy to hold on to. It does make it a little tougher to slide in and out of my OEM RIM leather case. My only complaint is about the small ones for the sides. They are multiple pieces and are small and beginning to peel up. It seems to me they could have been one piece. Anyway, the Best Skins Ever protectors don't even come with the pieces for the sides.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #20
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I got the seidio screen protector and am amazed how well it works. I had been using a softer film cover left over from something else. seidio's is a harder, lexan type-thing. very clear and scratch resistant. I bought the pack of three because I had been replacing the others about once a month, but I've had this one on way over a month and don't think I'll be replacing it for a long time.
Closed Thread