BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
Andreas

Model: 8700g
Default 8700 in holster > hanging up calls?

Please Login to Remove!

With the 8700 in the holster phone calls can be taken by pressing the trackwheel > but how to hang up a call?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

What do you mean by calls can be taken while in holster? Using a BT earpiece? Otherwise, how do you take calls with the BB in the holster?
Old 07-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
What do you mean by calls can be taken while in holster? Using a BT earpiece? Otherwise, how do you take calls with the BB in the holster?

No earpiece.

Device in holster > call comes in > take it by pressing the trackwheel. This works.

What I am looking for is a way to end the call then without taking the 8700 out of the holster (can't do this with the END button as the button is not available in the holster).
Old 07-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Seattle18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
No earpiece.

Device in holster > call comes in > take it by pressing the trackwheel. This works.

What I am looking for is a way to end the call then without taking the 8700 out of the holster (can't do this with the END button as the button is not available in the holster).
Ok, I'm still confused. Just for the hell of it, I tried your method. I placed a call to my BB, and when it rang I pressed the trackwheel. You're right, it did connect the call. But then I was sitting there with a BB connected to a phone call that I could talk into, but I could not hear the person talking to me because it obviously was not using the speakerphone. So once again I inquire - what in the world would you do this for? Am I missing something? The call connects and you CANNOT hear the person speaking to you unless you place your ear on the back of the BB and listen through the battery door to hear the earpiece on the other side of it. Not to mention the fact that you do not get to see who is calling because you cannot see the screen - so how do you know you want to even take the call in the first place? Unless you have profiles set up with specific ringers - but even then you still cannot hear them very well through the back of the phone. I don't understand why or when you would ever use this method. Is it really that tough to take a BB out of it's holster to answer a call? Either I am completely missing something here, in which case I apologize, or you are looking for the laziest phone call method in history. Please elaborate on this one.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Andreas

Quote:
I don't understand why or when you would ever use this method. Is it really that tough to take a BB out of it's holster to answer a call? Either I am completely missing something here, in which case I apologize, or you are looking for the laziest phone call method in history. Please elaborate on this one.
Allthough I count myself to the people who have a wash everyday I try to avoid to press the 8700s on my ear as this brings traces on the screen. So the method with device in holster seemed to be tempting as the holster protects the screen. Your argument that in this case I cannot see who's calling is right but using the headset with device in pocket, bag etc. causes the same problem.

However when there is no possibility to end a call directly by pressing one of the 8700s buttons (with the trackwheel this can be done but there's the need to turn the wheel additinonally for two steps which can be sometimes a bit tricky when on the road) this option is meaningless at all.

Last edited by Andreas; 07-02-2006 at 07:44 AM..
Old 07-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I don't get this either. Use a BT headset and answer and hang up from the headset.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
Allthough I count myself to the people who have a wash everyday I try to avoid to press the 8700s on my ear as this brings traces on the screen. So the method with device in holster seemed to be tempting as the holster protects the screen. Your argument that in this case I cannot see who's calling is right but using the headset with device in pocket, bag etc. causes the same problem.

However when there is no possibility to end a call directly by pressing one of the 8700s buttons (with the trackwheel this can be done but there's the need to turn the wheel additinonally for two steps which can be sometimes a bit tricky when on the road) this option is meaningless at all.

WTF?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

I actually enjoy these threads where I have no idea what is going on. Sometimes Blackberry Forums can be altogether too transparent.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
Seattle18

I'm glad it isn't just me who is confused here. Is this guy pulling my leg, or do we have a real WTF issue here?
Old 07-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Andreas

Quote:
I'm glad it isn't just me who is confused here. Is this guy pulling my leg, or do we have a real WTF issue here?

I did my best to express my thoughts maybe my English is too bad to be clearly understood. I apologize for annoyance.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Seattle18

It's not an annoyance - it's just mass confusion. I still, after all this talk, cannot understand why you want to answer a phone call whith the device still in the holster, without using an earpiece. How do you listen to the person on the phone? You can't hear them!
Old 07-02-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
fireman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I'd like to know the answer as I am confused as well!?!
Old 07-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Andreas

Quote:
It's not an annoyance - it's just mass confusion. I still, after all this talk, cannot understand why you want to answer a phone call whith the device still in the holster, without using an earpiece. How do you listen to the person on the phone? You can't hear them!

I am not sure if "earpiece" means the same as "headset"? (I am a German native). However of course I CAN listen by using the loudspeaker on the *front* of the 8700:

device in holster > incoming call > pressing the trackwheel to take the call > device to the ear as always when you use the device as cellphone. Works fine!

The holster (delivered with the 8700) I use has a cut-out arround the loudspeaker. Also the microphone is not covered. So you can leave the device in the holster when talking.

I am sorry but I am not aware the fact that I ever said I used my 8700 without earpiece, loudspeaker or headset??

Last edited by Andreas; 07-02-2006 at 03:03 PM..
Old 07-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Seattle18

What case do you have? Do you have a pic of it you can post here? Also, when you have the device in the holster, can you see the keyboard and screen?

The loudspeaker does not turn on automatically, you have to activate it by pressing a button on the keybard or by using the trackwheel.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:11 PM   #15
Andreas

Quote:
What case do you have? Do you have a pic of it you can post here? Also, when you have the device in the holster, can you see the keyboard and screen?

The loudspeaker does not turn on automatically, you have to activate it by pressing a button on the keybard or by using the trackwheel.

Holster > see picture enclosed. No keyboard and screen are not visible.

Holster_8700g.jpg

Last edited by Andreas; 07-02-2006 at 04:14 PM..
Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #16
mrogers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Interesting. That might clear up a little bit of the confusion -- that's NOT the holster we get with ours. I still find it strange that you're talking into your holster though.

And frankly, I call it a bug that the BlackBerry allows you to answer the phone while in the holster but doesn't put it on speakerphone. Given the fact that 1) you're really not supposed to use the phone while it's in the holster, and 2) you can't hang up the phone while it's in the holster, as you have noted, I don't think this is necessarily intended behavior. It would make perfect sense if answering it while in the holster put it into speakerphone mode, but since it doesn't I'm calling this a bug. Interesting use you get out of it though.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:53 AM   #17
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogers
Interesting. That might clear up a little bit of the confusion -- that's NOT the holster we get with ours.
Interesting that there's a difference. Which holster do you get in US/CAN?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #18
phantomdaz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: Cingular

I have3 the opposite problem
I want my BB to NOT answer the phone when taking it out of the holster.
it works this way unless I accidently press the thumb wheel when removing it.
Is there any way to prevent it answering as I grasp the sides to pull it from the holster?
Thanks
Old 07-20-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
watcher2001

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

This kind of falls in line with the question I have. I have just gotten an 8700 C and when I pull it out of the holster I fat finger it and answer it before I can see who is calling. Is there a way to disable this and only allow the green phone button to answer?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #20
watcher2001

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

OK, does noone here know a way to do this. I guess it cannot be done. HELP
Closed Thread