Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default REVIEW: New blue sculpted holsters now with new BlackBerries

Please Login to Remove!

[Updated: I got the holster. Scroll down to see my review!]

Hi,

In one of the stores selling BlackBerries, I happened to notice a pretty nice holster that's better than the old hard plastic holsters, and is a navy blue color, and seems to hold the Blackberry in better. It is more curved and much more modern looking than the old black leather holsters in my opinion. Also very lightweight too.

I don't have a holster since I got my BlackBerry used. However, I can't find anybody who sells these newer holsters, and the store is only giving away these holsters with each new BlackBerry.

I think it's a blue-Hydrofoam-like holster (not leather, not plastic) but looks nothing like the existing hydrofoam holster photos I see on the Net, looks much better, and seems to be different from the existing hydrofoam holsters, with a 'hard plastic' appearance on the outer side, with soft cloth inside.

These seem to have been recently introduced, with the new BlackBerry logo. Anyone know where I can get these?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Much over due and very much so needed. Those plastic holsters were a poor design by RIM from day one, they were good for nothing else then scuffing and scaring the Blackberry itself. I guess a enough people must have raised the issue to the point that RIM finally went back to shipping cases with Blackberry's as in days past with the Blackberry 957
Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Here's a mini-review.

I finally found it at "The Telephone Booth" store at Rideau Centre. They have plenty of these in stocks, just in. $39.95 CDN at your local "The Telephone Booth" store, and these are now being included for free with new BlackBerries. These are BlackBerry-branded 2004 model, with the new "bullets" BLackBerry logo on the packaging.

Part #ACC-08197-001
Price: $39.95 CDN

They appear to be custom made hydrofoam holsters that has the Blackberry. The sculpted hydrofoam holsters that looks somewhat looks like the rear of a Blueberry 7280 (minus screwholes and battery cover). Has the a BlackBerry decal near the bottom. Slightly metallic navy blue. Completely encloses the blackberry front and rear. Has inwards-curved lip at top.

They are comfortable and they don't jam the BlackBerry into my hip when I lean over to the side, even to the extreme as if during a stretch exercise. Wear resistance is uncertain but probably similiar to a standard hydrofoam holster. i.e. Not as long-life as leather, but compensated by the better-looking appearance than the leather holster (at least when worn with most office attire, that is).

It clings to the Blackberry with the right amount of force; quick to remove the BlackBerry, while at the same time it requires me to shake the holster while upsidedown in order for the Blackberry to fall out. Uncertain about how much it will loosen up over time; it could become too loose eventually. However, the top of the holster has slightly-inward-curved opening which helps hug the BlackBerry in its holster. Holster is ever so slightly elastic (it flattens a bit when you remove the BlackBerry). If it was fully shiny rather than slightly shiny (similiar to color of a Blueberry 7280), then it would look more like an automotive accessory.

There were also a version of the holster that has a sculpted area that fits around a 7510-style antenna and all the other taller BlackBerries. The one without the antenna sculpting seem to fit the smaller 62XX/72XX models. However, any of these holsters could easily hold any BlackBerry ever made since the 5810, though the taller 67XX and 77XX series would slightly stick out of the top of the slightly smaller holsters.

If you cannot find these at your store, your best bet is to make sure that when you purchase a new BlackBerry, before you get the BlackBerry make sure it includes the new model of holster for free. The holster can be purchased separately, and the packaging specifically says "Buy any BlackBerry handheld and receive a BlackBerry Original Actve Holster FREE!". (Interesting, someone at RIM mispelled "Actve", or maybe the chinese holster-manufacturing factory did this accidentally; as shown by a "made in china" sticker inside the holster that I threw away). The packaging is a gradient-blur that blends forest green with neon green, with a nice blue BlackBerry logo at the top (same color as holster), and "Holster." in big letters (same colar as holster). On the rear of the packaging, it says "BlackBerry Original Active Holster".

By the printing wording on the packaging, it is pretty clear that RIM intends this to be the new standard BlackBerry holster included with new BlackBerries. A big improvement over the black hard-plastic holsters, in my opinion, and has a styling that appeals to wide audience, including kids through executives, and looks good on either men and women. It is obvious that this holster was designed with wide appeal in mind -- rather than dreamed up by a geeky engineer. Being hydrofoam, this holster does not have the durability look of a really good third-party holster, especially high-end leather holsters, but most people will no longer feel the compelling need to upgrade the holster now that it's actually very good compared to the original cheap hard-plastic holsters.

I'm sure these will be available for cheaper from third parties, since "The Telephone Booth" is not always the cheapest place to get it (But they were one of the first in Ottawa to get them -- even Rogers doesn't have them yet!) A dark red one would be a good idea for the ones that may prefer that color. Other colors could be provided, if RIM finds this holster to be a big hit over time.

Photo below, with plastic blister package removed.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

I would love to see one...Also, any links to where I can buy one now?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Just inserted a photo so you know what it looks like.

Note: Image is about 100 kilobytes at 712 pixels width. If anybody has systems or wireless browsers that barf on this image, please PM me immediately. I formatted the image to fit completely inside 800x600 browsers. The metal decal on the holster says "BLACKBERRY", the downsized photo shows it in print that is too small to read.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #6
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Looks nice but not $31.00 nice. Does it have a swivel clip?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

[Extensions to my review; and answering concerns about cost]

Hi,

Well, the store "The Telephone Booth" overprices it somewhat. These things aren't even on eBay yet, but these should begin showing up at resellers and on eBay at probably about $15-$20 USD in the next few months. It is indeed looking as if is inexpensively made (typical outsource to a chinese factory), but all Blackberry accessories tend to have a price premium anyway. This holster is free with new BlackBerries, so no fear -- eventually when all the old plastic holsters are gone, new users don't need to even worry about hunting down one of these. Would you believe that the original inexpensive-looking black leather holster used to sell for $59.99 just a few months ago at places like Rogers and Telephone Booth? (the same stuff that I could get online for almost half price). The price of $39.99 is cheap in comparision, and no doubt will be cheaper to get from third parties based on my experience.

This one doesn't have a swivel clip, most of them are more trouble than they're worth, especially when they contribute to the Blackberry accidentally falling out. This holster appears to grip the belt pretty well with a leather-covered metal holster clip, the leather covering means you are not feeling uncomfortable hard metal or plastic pushing into your hip, which makes this holster pretty comfortable when you lean over. Metal clip holsters are much thinner than plastic clip holsters, which contribute to less of a lump being felt in my hip on the inside-side of my belt. I actually find I prefer this over a bare plastic/metal clip which are what most swivel holsters -- it is obvious that while fairly inexpensive looking, it was designed with comfort in mind. It feels as if nothing is even clipped to my belt!

Anyway, I had no holster for my BlackBerry 7280 for the last 4 months, having gotten rid of both my old 950 and 5810 with incompatible cheap plastic holsters. So I ponied up the $39.95 since I was getting tired of carrying it in my pocket at times, especially when I need to carry both a wallet and a PocketPC (for the occasions I need to use it as a special-purpose electronic notepad assistive device). In a few months, this thing would probably be available half price online.

Try google "Blackberry hydrofoam holster" for a similiar looking holster that costs only about $20, but the results that I found all brought up holsters that looked completely different from this holster. Keep an eye out for photos until holsters looking similiar to this pops up.

I just got a few emails. [It does have the magnet inside]. It passes the test with flying colors -- I am reading emails within a second after feeling a vibration; it is easy to learn how to grab the BlackBerry out of the holster and the Holster doesn't stubbornly hug the Blackberry like some overly-tight holsters, but not too loosely to fall out like some overly-loose holsters. The front and rear of the holster is unattached in the topmost inch (about 3cm), allowing quick gripping by the sides with two fingers to pull the BlackBerry out without needing to look at the holster.

Despite the softness and flexibility of the holster, and its tendancy to flatten when empty (which may be an impediment to reholstering) it easy to ram the BlackBerry back into the holster without looking at the holster, partly in credit to the Blackberry's rounded bottom which helps it slide back into just about any holster

Vibration transfer works pretty well, with the stiffness of the metal clip tightly hugging the belt, which improves vibration-alert transfer to my body. Much better than the older RIM plastic clips, which sometimes cling too loosely, reducing the feel of vibration. (Another reason why I am not a fan of swivel clips: reduced vibration transfer in many of them). Anybody who wants good vibrate-alert feel must take into consideration of vibration-transfer ability of a holster. Strong enough that I instinctively grab my BlackBerry before the first vibration has stopped, rather than wonder "did my BlackBerry vibrate?". Leather-coated metal clips that cling tightly tend to be the best, in terms of cling, vibration-transfer, comfort, and the "I forget I am wearing a holster" feeling. The metal allows very thin holster clip material and the leather makes it feel more like it's part of an existing leather belt. There is a lack of a U-turn hook at the end of the clip, like those found on plastic clips, which means there may be a problem with grip when pushed upwards if you wear a bulky thick-and-wide belt. However, it appears this won't be a problem with most belts since I can't remove the holster by pulling upwards on it on my particular belt.

It appears to be a "professionally designed and usability-tested in Canada; then outsourced to China for mass-manufacture" deal. (Whereas the older holsters appears to have been engineer-designed) Which means this holster is inexpensively made, but is otherwise very well-designed and nice looking, excellent vibration-alert feel, comfortable, easy to holster and unholster, and resists Blackberry falling-out accidents. It's not perfect but a massive improvement over the old holsters. i.e. It doesn't appear to have any of the cheap design oversights that most inexpensively-manufactured products often has. More beautiful aesthetic holsters from high end specialty retailers are available; and some are excellent; but one can easily run into a drawback such as poor vibration-transfer or a particularly uncomfortable clip, or difficult to pull the BlackBerry out quickly. This particular new holster passes the important usability tests with flying colors with grade A level (if not A+).
Old 09-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #8
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

BTW, does it have the magnet inside?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Definitely. The screens turns off while inside. My emails automatically display immediately when I pull out the BlackBerry when I get an email alert.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Thats weird, they must not have run out of stock of the old metal badges yet, as otherwise you would expect a new product to have the new logo like on the packaging itself.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:30 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Yeah, I noticed. It's not too bad, as nobody can read the decal unless they kneel over and stare at my holster :D
Old 09-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

More to the point it will look more distinctive when everyone starts getting them with the new logo on them.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #13
MGO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Telephone Number for Store?

Could you supply a telephone number so that those of us in the US could call and purchase this new case? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:55 AM   #14
rnwjr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
PIN: 40199989
Carrier: NEXTEL

Do you know if this can be ordered online from the Telephone Booth??? Also where did you get part #ACC-08197-001 from???
Old 09-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
MGO

Default I called

They are unsure if this can be sold individually. They are going to let me know.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

They are sold in individual blister packaging at "The Telephone Booth".
Old 09-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #17
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

has anyone found a place you can order these via the internet yet? Do they fit the 7510 models??
Old 09-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #18
ilguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

anyone? anywhere?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:44 AM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

There's a 7510 version at the Telephone Booth at Rideau Centre in Ottawa, with an opening for the antenna. Don't think they're sold online yet.

For Canada, locations found at http://www.thetelephonebooth.ca ... A bit overpriced, but...
Old 04-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #20
dougdoug99

Sorry if I missed it, but is the belt clip detachable?
Closed Thread