Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #21
R-W
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: Down
Carrier: T-mo
Smile

Please Login to Remove!

I was waiting for otterbox to release a case for the Javelin 8900. After reading these posts, I'll probably just go w/seidio.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
jasonwoerner

Model: 8350i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianForsberg View Post
since attaching the case to my Blackberry last Sunday I have received a lot of comments from people on the other end of the phone stating that they can either hear their voice echoing
on monday I spoke with representatives from both otterbox, and sprint. They both said a software update for the 8350i should be available by the end of march to fix the "echo problem."
Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #23
nah.uhh

Model: 8310
Carrier: roger§

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBox View Post
Nah…uhh—Ok, I hope this helps. Just heard back from engineering and the small round hole on the bottom of the phone is the mic. It should not be covered by the clear plastic cover. If it is, the cover could possibly be defective or it has been placed incorrectly on the phone. The other hole on the bottom of the phone is for a lanyard when not using the Defender case.

As for the echo, here’s what they said:

If the people that this person is talking to are hearing themselves echo (as opposed to hearing the person they are talking to echo), more than likely the fault is not with the Bold or the Defender case. We’ve not heard of this problem before with this particular phone and case. It would be interesting to know if these callers have the echo problem with anyone else they call. We have several people here with the Bold and Defender case (Curt, Brian and James) and they’ve not mentioned a problem with echoing. One suggestion is to try removing the clear plastic cover and see if it makes a difference and let us know. That would be useful information for us.

Copout221— We definitely try to make things right and I’m so glad you got in touch with Customer Service. Thanks for your feedback and support!

Best Regards,
Kristin Golliher
Public Relations Executive
Yes - I have since founf out the second hole is for a lanyard ;) silly me.
Anyway, my echo problem isn't just with people I'm speaking with, I can hear myself when using speaker, it gives ME feeback. I've sent 3 phones back to rogers, 2 of them thinking the echo issue had something to do with the phone.
when using speakerphone w/ the case blow gently into the mic and you can hear it loud and clear. W/o the case this doesn't happen
The clear shield isn't in the way, I'm yet to use my bold without the shield, its never been naked..
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
garyf33

Carrier: Sprint/Nextel

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I also have the Otter box and love it but right now I'm not using it because everyone I talk to tells me I sound like I'm in a tunnel or I sound muffled so bad that they can barely hear me.

I also had the raised 2 and the squares on mine but I sanded them down so it doesn't mark my screen.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #25
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Otterbox is the real deal folks. My first-hand experience with them has been excellent.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #26
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 402ab???

well mine is working good as far as the echo and everything but i also have some scratchs on the back of my 8350i caused by the case
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
bmr653

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell mobility
Exclamation Muffled sound, resolved?

I have received the second version of the otterbox defender case and no one can understand what I am saying with the case on. Has anyone found a fix? What is otterbox's response. It is not my phone b/c once i take the case off people can hear me fine.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
garyf33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr653 View Post
I have received the second version of the otterbox defender case and no one can understand what I am saying with the case on. Has anyone found a fix? What is otterbox's response. It is not my phone b/c once i take the case off people can hear me fine.
I'm glad to see someone else has the same problem with there otterbox that I have with mine, I really like all the protection for the device but con't use it due to this reason.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #29
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Have you tried the upgrade? It fixed the problems with mine
Old 04-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #30
garyf33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwckdxx View Post
Wirelessly posted

Have you tried the upgrade? It fixed the problems with mine
Yes, I'm running the newest software, .204
Old 04-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Rehost

Model: 8530i
Carrier: Telus

Hey guys, here's more details about the Otterbox problem with the 8350i

I just want to start by stating one thing: Despite this problem, or nuisance, the Otterbox is still the ultimate in protection for your 8350i. I am a Landscaper and I swear this thing saves my Blackberry on the daily.

So, after this post, I took it apart for a routine cleaning. I am obsessed with keeping things new, so I have a screen protector under my otterbox. Sure enough, there was a small indent on the screen protector where the '2' is. No damage was done to the plastic however thanks to the screen protector.

Anyhow, here's the details...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAN_5389.jpg (300.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DAN_5390.jpg (472.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
bmr653

I have the newest upgrade software, and how would this effect the muffled sound when as soon as I take it out of the case I can be heard perfectly. I've heard of some people drilling out the microphone hole to make it bigger however I don't want to do something like this and risk breaking it or voiding product warranty.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr653 View Post
I have the newest upgrade software, and how would this effect the muffled sound when as soon as I take it out of the case I can be heard perfectly. I've heard of some people drilling out the microphone hole to make it bigger however I don't want to do something like this and risk breaking it or voiding product warranty.

I had the same exact problem i said the same thing how could it be the phone when i take off the case it works fine...then i contacted otterbox's customer service who ever fast in replying and said it was a phone issue to be patient...it had something to do with the voices bouncing around inside the case and the way the phone picks it up when i upgraded all the issues went away try this see if it works.....press the green button > blackberry button > options > general options > go to default call volume change to 50% see if that helps
Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #34
Rehost

Model: 8530i
Carrier: Telus

I have a theory on fixing the echo problem. Hope Otterbox is listening, maybe they can do some real testing.

What if we applied a sound-dampening foam tube to the mic hole, that way when inserted, the blackberry mic would compress the foam and prevent sound from going elsewhere besides the mic.

Could be an inexpensive fix and an easy to apply fix to existing otterbox users.

last but not least, here`s an obvious pic of the mold pressing against the BB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAN_5393.jpg (391.3 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Rehost; 04-26-2009 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #35
garyf33

I actually sanded down that number and also the little squares on the other side of the case at the top.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #36
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehost View Post
I have a theory on fixing the echo problem. Hope Otterbox is listening, maybe they can do some real testing.

What if we applied a sound-dampening foam tube to the mic hole, that way when inserted, the blackberry mic would compress the foam and prevent sound from going elsewhere besides the mic.

Could be an inexpensive fix and an easy to apply fix to existing otterbox users.

last but not least, here`s an obvious pic of the mold pressing against the BB
I had thought about before also but then the fix came out and fixed it for me
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #37
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyf33 View Post
I actually sanded down that number and also the little squares on the other side of the case at the top.
After seeing the last photo by Rehost i did the same thing tonight
Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #38
bmr653

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwckdxx View Post
I had the same exact problem i said the same thing how could it be the phone when i take off the case it works fine...then i contacted otterbox's customer service who ever fast in replying and said it was a phone issue to be patient...it had something to do with the voices bouncing around inside the case and the way the phone picks it up when i upgraded all the issues went away try this see if it works.....press the green button > blackberry button > options > general options > go to default call volume change to 50% see if that helps
The funny thing is by the looks of things my OS is more up to date than yours. I am running 4.7.... while you state you are 4.6.... To my knowledge I have the most updated software, I did notice though that the mic hole on the second version case I received does look a tad smaller than the one on the original case I received. I cannot see this being a software issue.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
xxwckdxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

4.7 must be beta for a 8350
Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #40
Lucretius
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Any update on this? Design changes and/or recalls since OP discovered this?

3 days ago I purchased a 9000, and my OtterBox is in the mail on its way.
What are the chances of me getting an Obox that I have to modify by sanding/fabricating?

Thanks,
Closed Thread