BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #21
AMCELL J
Thumbs Must Hurt

Please Login to Remove!

Yeah the only way I see I can get the service books downloaded into the unit is if you have a blackberry plan then you can push the service books right into the handset.....thats what kept me in the dark if there was a way for me to set up the configuration I guess I would be all set...

But thanks for the help anyway!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
jrwoodall
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Default new sim card question

My company just sent me a second blackberry (by accident ). I have been using a 7230, and they duplicated my original order, but in the meantime upgraded to 7290, so that is what I received. Obviously (I think!) I want to keep the 7290, and I will have to turn in the 7230. So, here is my question:

Since I already have business cards printed against the phone number in the 7230 and customers (and my boss!) are used to contacting me at that phone #, can I just take the sim card out of my 7230 and put it in the 7290 (and is that what defines the phone number)? I know I could probably switch the phone numbers between the units, but my company won't do it - they'll tell me to keep the old unit if I want the old phone number...

The sim card is not product specific, right - it doesn't know if the bb is 7230, 7290, or something other than bb with sim slot?

If it matters, I am with T-Mobile.

Last edited by jrwoodall; 05-26-2005 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #23
jrwoodall
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: cincinnati bell
Default new sim card response

I just went ahead and tried changing the sim cards from the 7230 to the 7290, and after a few minor settings changes, it worked fine. Then I realized I could use the restore function, even though the backup was from a different unit.

After I did all that, I was searching against the 7290 to see if there are any noticable differences, and came across an answer to my question, although it didn't show up when I searched against SIM cards...

I do have a related question. I noticed before I restored my information from the 7230 files, there were some GREAT images in the 7290 picture application, that were overwritten with the restore. Does anyone know if those images are available somewhere? I have tried searching the wallpaper sites, and even tried reloading the 4.0 firmware for the handheld, but to no avail. The quality of the images was great, and I really liked a couple of those pictures. Does anyone know how to get them back?

Anyway, two other things fwiw.

First, I would like to join the growing list of new users who are somewhat discouraged by the number of negative postings because people are asking for help. Not every question is going to require new research - some are just plain old help questions. Yes, I have run search on many of my questions, and often found the answers. However, there have been several times, last night for example, that the search results took me to pages that no longer existed. SOOO, for those of you who claim to have posted everything there is to know, please make sure you keep the postings current and active.

Second, with that said, the wealth of knowledge on these forums is unbelieveable! I have learned more than I will ever be able to apply on the BB, software, headsets, and so much more. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #24
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Try searching ebay and getting a blank sim card and reader, that way you could make an exact copy of your sim card and use it in both devices.. just dont use them at the same time.
You can't copy a sim card... there are protected areas of ROM in each sim card that makes it unique, there is a encryption key that is wrtten into the SIM card that cannot be changed, or read by traditional methods which is used to both authenticate the handheld on the network as well as to encrypt and decrypt all radio transmissions from the handheld.

It's a good idea, but not possible. If this was possible there would be a wide open market for cloned GSM sim cards.

But hey, if you can figure out how to clone sim cards, let me know and we can get rich together in the black market.

cd.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #25
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can read contact information from a SIM by taping it back into the card and inserting it into the Smart Card slot on a Dell d600 laptop. Then I use Dekart SIM Manager (Free trial download) to read the contacts. Then I export as a CSV and import it into Outlook contacts so it can go to the blackberry. Or just copy the contact data to a different SIM if needed.

Any laptop with a slot for Smart Card login authentication should be able to do this. Or you can buy a SIM reader from Dekart.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #26
corey@12mile

Model: lots

Contacts on a sim card are much different from trying to clone the encryption keys off a sim card.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #27
rromeo

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Is there a way to export contact list on device to sim card?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #28
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

FWIW I've had the same SIM for years and swap it all the time. Sometimes several times a day. I've never had it break or even show signs of wear. I think you'd really have to try to break a SIM. It will not accidently happen.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #29
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo
Is there a way to export contact list on device to sim card?
Kind of. You could use a SIM-reader and massage data on your desktop computer, and write those down to the SIM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #30
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
You can't copy a sim card... there are protected areas of ROM in each sim card that makes it unique, there is a encryption key that is wrtten into the SIM card that cannot be changed, or read by traditional methods which is used to both authenticate the handheld on the network as well as to encrypt and decrypt all radio transmissions from the handheld.

It's a good idea, but not possible. If this was possible there would be a wide open market for cloned GSM sim cards.

But hey, if you can figure out how to clone sim cards, let me know and we can get rich together in the black market.

cd.
It is absolutely possible.

Write now the only hard thing about GSM is intercepting calls. You can already clone a GSM SIM with identical information.

I would imagine that nowadays to intercept a call, you'd need physical access to the device you're trying to intercept, and in that case, why bother. Just hit "Talk".
Old 07-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #31
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

And in the news not too long ago:

http://www.hindu.com/2005/02/04/stor...0416860300.htm

Looks like someone beat you to the "black market", Corey.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #32
neutral
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Cu/Bo
Carrier: Verizon/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Your WAP internet would work.
If they were on at the same time they would blow up.

Naw, just kidding, but I think neither of them would work as they are trying to fight each other with registering on the network.

Which ever registers first works, I believe.

Do you have any suggestions on certain readers? I was looking into doing this awhile ago, but never got around to it.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #33
zerocool

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral
Which ever registers first works, I believe.

Do you have any suggestions on certain readers? I was looking into doing this awhile ago, but never got around to it.
You can get readers for as low as $5. They come with the appropriate software. I also found blank SIM cards for about $20.

Can anyone confirm if copying the SIM actually works with the T-Mobile network here in the US?? I am sick of switching my one SIM card back and forth. Two cards is the way to go!

Cheers.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:08 PM   #34
kellenbence

Model: 7100i
Default swapped sim from 7510 to 7100i

I had a 7510 and I powered off changed SIM to the 7100i and it reads Sim card Error phone works and in the right corner it displays NXtl. I'm on a Bez server do I need to call Nextel to fix this?

Thanks
Trading Floor Support Tech.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i would use the sim card that came in the 7100i they say it has a bigger one in it than the others
Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #36
stonent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbence
Thanks
Trading Floor Support Tech.
*beep beep* Buy!
*beep beep* Sell!

Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 AM   #37
blistered thumbs

Model: 7100i

yes on the new Nextel 7100i you can not switch SIM cards....sorry
Old 10-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #38
stonent

Maybe these new SIMs are being set up as Sprint and not Nextel.

Like putting a Cingular SIM into a phone that was activated on AT&T.

Yes, they are the same company but the phone doesn't know that.

Perhaps if Sprint starts selling phones with R-UIMs you'll be able to jump between CDMA and iDEN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-UIM

Last edited by stonent; 10-30-2005 at 12:08 PM..
Old 12-16-2005, 08:25 PM   #39
VR6
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

has anyone ever tried cloning their sim card successfully?

Rogers 7280 -> 7100r -> 8310 -> 9000 -> 9800 -> 9900
Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 PM   #40
chelzprinz

Model: 8130
PIN: 317D1F0A
Carrier: Sprint

I am completely new to the Blackberry, and ignorant as well. I bought a 7130e with already having nextel service. I was under the impression that all I had to do was take my SIM out of my i670 and place it in the 7130e. But I am thinking that this is a sprint phone and not a nextel, but since they are together now, would I still be able to use this phone on my nextel service?
Closed Thread