Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
matureberry

Model: 9320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Default bypassing your blackberry password

Please Login to Remove!

HI all new here, just got myself a 9320 curve, finding my way round it, i have a question, some one told me there is app you can download an track our bb's and can access texts and bbm's ?? .

I dont particulary want some one tracking my bb or readin my bbm chats, any one come across this ? , cheers for now
Old 10-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: bypassing your blackberry password

Work issued BlackBerry? If not, then that someone is wrong.

I know there are a few apps owners can download to track location and monitor data. BES (Work issued devices) have features that allow a company to monitor usage, etc...

If you bought your 9320 yourself, and you have a password set and do not allow anyone to install an app on your device, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
matureberry

Yea bought myself, not a works bery, and no one will have access to it, need to keep it away from my children, they nagged me to get a new phone

Cheers for that, got lot more questions, but 1 at atime, cheers
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
matureberry

so if i sit typing a text or chat bbm, some one local cant acess via wifii or bluetooth thing and read what im typing, as you can guess, new to modern technology
Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
ZombieBerry

With the use of any wireless network, it depends partially on the security of the AP (Access Point) and the end user. For BBM and other types of sms, I would not worry too much about using a WiFi network (As long as it is one that you trust - Work, friend, home, etc...)

Security seems to be an interest to you, so perhaps it would be best to secure your own Mobile Wireless AP (MiFi? Not sure where you live, but most NorAm carriers have mobile wireless access available for a nominal fee) Then you would not have to worry about snoops and such.

BlackBerry has the value added bonus of being secure in and of itself.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
matureberry

it just that a work colleague in work had his blue tooth on, and another colleague some how accessed his phone and they started messing round, i thank you for your time and help cheers.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
fourstringfuror

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

A bluetooth headset can connect to a BlackBerry only if bluetooth connectivity is enabled on the BlackBerry, and only with a numberic code (the first time).

Further, it is highly unlikely that someone would be able to track your BBM conversations.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
ZombieBerry

Oh...coworkers having a go? lol

No worries, glad I could help. Have a great day!!

Cheers,
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Not sure about your country but in the US all carriers are required to store and save all email and text messages. Depending on what your texting, no one will care unless it's something that will attract the attention of the authorities. The other issue is some carriers allow the account owner to see sent and received text messages.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by matureberry View Post
it just that a work colleague in work had his blue tooth on, and another colleague some how accessed his phone and they started messing round, i thank you for your time and help cheers.
Check your Bluetooth settings and make sure it's set to non-discoverable. Also keep the bluetooth turned off unless you are actively using it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by matureberry View Post
so if i sit typing a text or chat bbm, some one local cant acess via wifii or bluetooth thing and read what im typing, as you can guess, new to modern technology
If you are using an unsecured public wifi your phone wifi transmissions can be sniffed (captured) and read by someone using a packet sniffer. For your wireless network at home WPA2 is the most secure. WEP is not very secure and can be cracked easily by someone with a little knowledge. WPA is better, but WPA2 is the best.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
With the use of any wireless network, it depends partially on the security of the AP (Access Point) and the end user. For BBM and other types of sms, I would not worry too much about using a WiFi network (As long as it is one that you trust - Work, friend, home, etc...)

Security seems to be an interest to you, so perhaps it would be best to secure your own Mobile Wireless AP (MiFi? Not sure where you live, but most NorAm carriers have mobile wireless access available for a nominal fee) Then you would not have to worry about snoops and such.

BlackBerry has the value added bonus of being secure in and of itself.
In the US VZW requires a separate data plan for a Mifi. Unless the prices have changed recently, it's $50/month for 5 GB on a 4G Mifi. Not cheap. Although they have new shared data plans that may be cheaper.

Last edited by daphne; 10-01-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
In the US VZW requires a separate data plan for a Mifi. Unless the prices have changed recently, it's $50/month for 5 GB on a 4G Mifi. Not cheap. Although they have new shared data plans that may be cheaper.
On Share Everything, adding a MiFi is only $20/mo. However, with the fact that hotspot service is included on any device that supports it, there's no real reason in my opinion to have an additional, dedicated hotspot.

When I was travelling, I would turn hotspot on through my iPad, leave it on all day, use the iPad on the plane and in the airport and still have battery when I got to the hotel that evening. I'm pretty sure I would need to hook my iPhone 5 up to a Juicepack or the like to use it as a serious hotspot, but that's still easy enough to do.