Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Too expensive

Please Login to Remove!

Why? Am I just used to 'free' Linux software and cheap Windows software?

$30/year for Newsclip? That's crazy.

$30 for Ascendo Fitness?

Ugh.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Unfortunately, thats just how BB software is mostly priced. You can find some software for free just as you can for Linux or PPC/WM5. But as well, the amount of free software is limited. Sorry.

The Gecko
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Cheap Windows software? Just let the cat out of the bag... Your balking over $60? If you don't support developers you'll have nothing...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
biellos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

I personally never mind paying for software... i just hate the subscriptions. I'd rather pay more, once, then pay less each month or year. That's just me, but its hard because a lot of the better programs are subscription based.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

cheap windows software????? Hello!!!! where?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

There is also some good inexpensive Blackberry software out there. $20 for PDLists isn't bad given the thought that goes into it and the use you get out of it. At $9 Algerware Backgammon is a steal - again it has great programming and the guy has to eat. And at $2.40 Mastermind is silly cheap (even if it was designed for the 72** screen).
Old 08-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Berry Pix
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Roger$
Lightbulb RE: too expensive - how software is priced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAnderson

$30 for Ascendo Fitness?

Ugh.
I understand you pain. Speaking from a publisher point of view, there's just not as many potential customers available as there are for other platforms as yet - this is changing fast though.

Here's an interesting scenario:

Say there are 200 million windows users out there (low estimate I think)
Say there are 4 million blackberry users out there (close probably)

Of course it costs money to build products - say it cost $10,000.00 to build a product.

In order to just "break-even", need to sell $20,000.00 due to places like Handango etc. wanting their "taste" for providing commerce services and "eyeballs".

@29.95/unit = 668 copies need to be sold
@9.95/unit = 2011 copies need to be sold

Let's look at the potential customer for a minute - let's say the product for sale is a mileage tracker etc. Say 1 in 2000 people are interested in mileage trackers, this means that for the BlackBerry, you have now have only 2000 potential customers out of the current 4 million - if you charge 9.95 or less you will go broke even if all 2000 people buy it - who has 100% download to sales conversion out there?

On the other hand, for windows, at 1 in 2000 people being interested in the mileage tracker, you still have 100,000 potential customers from which to convert downloads to sales and this means you might break-even at 9.95 per unit (provided more than 2 downloads in 100 yield sales). So it's easy to see how the number of potential customers available affects pricing.

I acknowledge this is a very simplistic look at this topic - but I think it might help you see why software products for BlackBerry cost on average $20.00 per unit.

Regards,
St. John's, NL
A1C 1S9
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 AM   #8
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

There are open source and free tools available for the blackberry. MIDPSSH, JMIRC, BBtools (bbtoday, bbweather, etc) are all great free products.

Those that don't like to pay for software (me!) will use free alternatives, and wait for more free alternatives.

Those that want/need software and will pay for it will be the market that supports initial development.

Some software of course, you simply have to pay for no matter what. =)

Take your pick and enjoy.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry Pix
I understand you pain. Speaking from a publisher point of view, there's just not as many potential customers available as there are for other platforms as yet - this is changing fast though.

Here's an interesting scenario:

Say there are 200 million windows users out there (low estimate I think)
Say there are 4 million blackberry users out there (close probably)

Of course it costs money to build products - say it cost $10,000.00 to build a product.

In order to just "break-even", need to sell $20,000.00 due to places like Handango etc. wanting their "taste" for providing commerce services and "eyeballs".

@29.95/unit = 668 copies need to be sold
@9.95/unit = 2011 copies need to be sold

Let's look at the potential customer for a minute - let's say the product for sale is a mileage tracker etc. Say 1 in 2000 people are interested in mileage trackers, this means that for the BlackBerry, you have now have only 2000 potential customers out of the current 4 million - if you charge 9.95 or less you will go broke even if all 2000 people buy it - who has 100% download to sales conversion out there?

On the other hand, for windows, at 1 in 2000 people being interested in the mileage tracker, you still have 100,000 potential customers from which to convert downloads to sales and this means you might break-even at 9.95 per unit (provided more than 2 downloads in 100 yield sales). So it's easy to see how the number of potential customers available affects pricing.

I acknowledge this is a very simplistic look at this topic - but I think it might help you see why software products for BlackBerry cost on average $20.00 per unit.

Regards,
I also work in the sofware business. This is a great post! I also don't mind paying for any software that I use. With subscription based software it becomes guaranteed income on a regular basis to the developer. I have found that most subscription based software comes with free upgrades while non-subscription software you have to purchase the upgrades. I guess it depends on what side of the business you are on. If you are the developer then it makes sense because you are trying to make a living. If you are the consumer, we all expect to get everything for little to no cost.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Berry Pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrock
I also work in the sofware business. This is a great post! I also don't mind paying for any software that I use. With subscription based software it becomes guaranteed income on a regular basis to the developer. I have found that most subscription based software comes with free upgrades while non-subscription software you have to purchase the upgrades. I guess it depends on what side of the business you are on. If you are the developer then it makes sense because you are trying to make a living. If you are the consumer, we all expect to get everything for little to no cost.
Thanks for props! This topic is rarely something that's discussed in public - mostly behind closed doors in my experience - it's nice to "open source" the pricing models to the public so that the consumers and other publishers might gain more insight into niche (for the time-being) markets like the BlackBerry and why prices are what they are.
St. John's, NL
A1C 1S9
Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Appreciate the comments.

I'm very resistant to leasing software. I prefer a model similar to Vbulletin's (I run a web site off their software). Pay for the initial software + 1 year support. After that, you can pay (a lesser value) for another year of support + free upgrades, or not pay and keep what you're on.

I like Newsclip. I like reading the news. $30/year is a lot, though. I understand how it's broken down - per month, day, etc. It's still a lot for what I'm getting.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
dlbrock
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Appreciate the comments.

I'm very resistant to leasing software. I prefer a model similar to Vbulletin's (I run a web site off their software). Pay for the initial software + 1 year support. After that, you can pay (a lesser value) for another year of support + free upgrades, or not pay and keep what you're on.

I like Newsclip. I like reading the news. $30/year is a lot, though. I understand how it's broken down - per month, day, etc. It's still a lot for what I'm getting.
I do agree with you that Newsclip is very over priced. While it does a very good job of what it does, there are several free apps that work fine also.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
rcbjr

Model: 8700

One of the things about the BB subscription based apps is that most of them have at least some portion of the app that is server based. This means the longer you use it the more expense acrues to the provider, which needs to be covered by the use fees. If it was a one time charge, the cost of long term users would drive the initial cost to where it wouldn't be sellable.

Just my $0.02
Rcbjr
Old 08-22-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!

Terrific writeup Berry Pix!

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 08-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #15
Berry Pix

Default RE: Terrific writeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFreak
Terrific writeup Berry Pix!
Thanks a lot BBFreak for the kudos!
St. John's, NL
A1C 1S9
Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
BerryCool
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Quote:

$30 for Ascendo Fitness?

Ugh.
Hi Dave/All,

I just set up a promotion code for 10% off Ascendo Fitness on Handango - www.handango.com

BBForum6

I think all developers are trying to find the right balance between providing value to customers, financing development and paying the rent. We all like free things but most people need to make money to put a substantial amount of time into delivering products or services. If you think of what it would be like to do your own job without getting paid it may help to understand our situation.

Thanks for your comprehension,
Marc
Ascendo Inc. - www.ascendo-inc.com

Last edited by BerryCool; 09-06-2006 at 04:54 PM..
Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
criswick

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

BlackBerry is based on J2ME which means when you develop for it you can also deploy to many other platforms. That's why Magmic's games are priced like cell phone games - e.g. in the $4 - $7 range. We fart around on Handango to experiment with different pricing because there's still that notion that higher pricing means a better game/application so you might see different prices there. But what it comes down to is there is no justification for a company to price things out of the ordinary - apps for BlackBerry shouldn't be as expensive as most of them are.

...John
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #18
secrecyguy

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
cheap windows software????? Hello!!!! where?
Copycat of Microsoft Office. It got good reviews. I have it on my computer. I am still playing around with it.

OpenOffice.org: Home
Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryCool
Hi Dave/All,

I just set up a promotion code for 10% off Ascendo Fitness on Handango - www.handango.com

BBForum6

I think all developers are trying to find the right balance between providing value to customers, financing development and paying the rent. We all like free things but most people need to make money to put a substantial amount of time into delivering products or services. If you think of what it would be like to do your own job without getting paid it may help to understand our situation.

Thanks for your comprehension,
Marc
Ascendo Inc. - www.ascendo-inc.com
Thank you. I'm still on the fence about a purchase; $3.00 off isn't a deal sealer for me, though every bit helps I suppose.

Wasn't there a combo deal for the Fitness Calc + Fitness itself? I don't see that anymore. I am interested in both, and while I do want to support the community, $45 is a lot of money to me. I understand development needs. But there is a fine line between making a profit and turning away too many people at certain price points. It's hard for a developer to determine - how many more customers would you get at $25? Or $20?

I would buy Newsclip for $30 if it wasn't for a single year of use. That to me is completely insane. Ascendo Fitness, $30.00 for lifetime, is more attractive to me. I understand you have to pay for major upgrades, which is completely reasonable.

May I ask: How long is the coupon good for?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #20
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Newsclip is down to $24/year now. May bite the bullet on that one. I'm going to try a few other programs first.
Closed Thread