Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
VickyPaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: TMobile
Default BIS 2.1 for TM - they don't know what I'm talking about

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

I've been reading about a BIS 2.1 upgrade that supposedly gives new icons and faster email?? I called TM and the tech support guy said they know nothing about that. If it was an upgrade that was done in the system, they would have let customers know about it.

Can someone who knows about this and it's affilation with TM tell me what exactly this is, if I should download it and how I can download it? I'm not on BES. I just use for my work/personal email via an earthlink account so maybe this app doesn't apply.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

For more info. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...s-2-1-tmo.html

~MrKyoo
Old 08-07-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
VickyPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo
Hi, yeah thanks but that thread really doesn't give any detailed info. Says all carriers updated to 2.1 late last month but TM tech *supposedly* checked on it and doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You just got a dumb tech support guy. You probably won't hey new icons, but there is much better gmail integration.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
BERDucky
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7290

it's not a download - it was an uptdate to the BIS itself
it included fast email delivery for Gmail - like Yahoo! instant email

it does include extra icons IF the carrier wishes you to have them - and as per most ppls post it appears a lot of carirer's are not
Old 08-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyPaz
TM tech *supposedly* checked on it and doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about.
And you’re surprised?

I believe this is as detailed as you’re going to get. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...formation.html

~MrKyoo
Old 08-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
phillyslickster

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have T-Mobile and it is already integrated. I don't see the icons but my gmail comes to handset instantly now. Yes, it is working.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM   #8
metrodon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: voda

it seems like Voda in the UK are still using 1.8.

technical support said it was 4.1 !!!! (I know thats the desktop software version), made me smile though - technical support my as*
Old 08-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
VickyPaz

thanks guys, So, it sounds like I don't need it. I use an earthlink email which gets pushed to my bb. I don't sign on to an email account so maybe I don't even use BIS. I heard it would make emails come faster but with gmail/yahoo accounts, neither of which I have. So maybe I'm good where I am.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #10
VickyPaz

PS. But I will say that for TM tech guy to not have a clue to what I am talking about is pretty bad. He actually said, 'don't believe everything you read on the internet'. DUH! but it was on the BB site too so should I not believe that mister?! I shouldn't knock TM support tho, since I've had my BB I must call them like every few days. I'm a real pain in the ass!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

If your Earthlink email is being pushed/forwarded/pop'd to your handheld, then you are using BIS. However, if you do not use a Gmail account to do so, then you really won't benefit too much from this upgrade in service. Your browser will be upgraded, though (already has been most likely). Aside from that, you will now receive support for some attachments that you didn't have before. The icons won't appear on your handheld from T-Mobile, at this time (they may change their mind in the future, but I doubt it).
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
VickyPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
If your Earthlink email is being pushed/forwarded/pop'd to your handheld, then you are using BIS. However, if you do not use a Gmail account to do so, then you really won't benefit too much from this upgrade in service. Your browser will be upgraded, though (already has been most likely). Aside from that, you will now receive support for some attachments that you didn't have before. The icons won't appear on your handheld from T-Mobile, at this time (they may change their mind in the future, but I doubt it).
This is pretty detailed information, thanks. I do use earthlink but don't believe I have a Gmail account. I say I don't *believe* because I don't really know what Gmail is (thought it was just another hotmail) and because I never went in myself specifically and opened a Gmail account. So, unless someone else tell me otherwise, I'm probably fine as is.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
allenranger2

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyPaz
Hi there,

I've been reading about a BIS 2.1 upgrade that supposedly gives new icons and faster email?? I called TM and the tech support guy said they know nothing about that. If it was an upgrade that was done in the system, they would have let customers know about it.

Can someone who knows about this and it's affilation with TM tell me what exactly this is, if I should download it and how I can download it? I'm not on BES. I just use for my work/personal email via an earthlink account so maybe this app doesn't apply.

Any thoughts?
Hilarious! I spoke with a T-Mo rep as well with regards to my Yahoo.com bottleneck email issue (which I found out is a Yahoo issue, not BB), and I asked about BIS version. The rep gave me the story about how they are an "expert" and have been doing this for 1.5 years, etc...but she didn't know about BIS at all! I've been working with these for about 6 years, since those little blackberry's with the thumboards, 957 I believe was the model.

Anyway, I insisted she transfer me to RIM, and they did help me out. RIM confirmed that T-Mo is on BIS 2.1, you need to delete the Gmail and readd the account. Also delete the service book and resend once you readded your account. Oy...too bad the rep was a nice person. I wanted to get mad at her lol.

BB 8700g & 9000 Bold AT&T
Old 08-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
rcbjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700

And just to verify update to the Internet Browser, iven with BIS 1.8, on Cingular, I can now open PDF and Doc files in the Browser.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 08-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
VickyPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenranger2
RIM confirmed that T-Mo is on BIS 2.1, you need to delete the Gmail and readd the account. Also delete the service book and resend once you readded your account. Oy...too bad the rep was a nice person. I wanted to get mad at her lol.
Now that's hilarious! It's good to know that the TM rep I spoke to really knows his stuff I mean he acted like I was the one who was crazy. Now if I heard about the upgrade, why didn't he? Really though, I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, thanks for that bit of info...
Closed Thread