Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Curve user thinking of the Storm

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so Verizon in all of the evilness sent me an upgrade early coupon which will make the Storm, with that and my other discounts about 79 bucks. But, I am reading a whole lot of mush about the Storm on here, and my hands on trial (be it only 15 minutes at the store) was a tad bit frustrating. The screen changing orientation with the slightest movements, the typing without buttons (which I am sure I could adjust to) etc.

My question is to all the Curve owners on here, did you make the switch and how are you doing with it. I really do like my Curve, and I would hate to get this phone and not be as happy with its functionality. The cool factor can only last so long...

Let me say too that I use my phone for emailing a lot, text messaging a lot and web surfing (more if I had a half decent browser, Opera does not excite me). Also I use the phone a whole bunch, like 2200 minutes a month so it has to be a good phone too.

So if you could just drop me your thoughts, that would be great. I have until December 1st to upgrade with this voucher.

Thanks
mastodog
Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
notlownf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I went from a Curve to a Storm and love it, but I have resigned myself to the fact that there will be bugs and issues with the first versions... some people have not been able to do that and as a result hate the Storm.

You don't have to return the Curve when you upgrade so at the very least you should go buy a Storm for that price and if you hate it just switch back to the Curve and sell the Storm... you'll end up making some money on the deal.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
brabusc

I also went from a Curve to a Storm...I also accepted the fact that there are bugs and if you are okay with that until the OS is updated, you should be okay. I am typing fairly quickly now on my Storm (two fingers in suretype) and I think I am almost as fast as I was on my Curve. The call quality I think is alot better than on my curve...and web browsing...yeah, alot better on the Storm than on the curve. I use my phone alot as well, battery life is definately worse than the curve, but not by tooo much...right now I have had the Storm for about a week and I am testing the batterey life.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
dhendriksen
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

I went from a Curve to the storm. I use about 3,000 minutes per month, receive about 100 emails per day, send about 30 emails daily, send and receive 10 - 50 text per day, and browse the web a ton (a lot more with the storm). Here are my quick thoughts on the switch:

-Storm browser rocks. It blows the Curve browser out of the water, which didn't take much

-Much improved for media

-Big screen is nice for reading lengthy emails, and the screen resolution rocks.

-I really like the choice of suretype or qwerty (portrait or landscape)

-Calls seem to sound better, and I don't drop calls in an area where I used too.

-I miss the keyboard shortcuts on the curve, it takes longer to make calls than it did before.

All in all I'm happy I made the switch, but everything does take a little longer to accomplish.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
lambdacoreaz
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AEE5F
Carrier: VZW

plain and simple...do it, and do it quick...because the closer to xmas it comes, the harder it will be to find

7105t>8320>9530 whats a curve?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
user242
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I'm switching from a 8830 always wanted a Curve but when I got my 8830 the Curve wasn't available yet at Verizon.

Anyway, my phone shipped today it's a home waiting for me while I'm at work. As you can tell I'm pretty excited about it even though I've heard many complaints and gripes on the Storm. I knew that would happen long before it came out. That's just the nature of new sophisticated electronic devices. There always seems to be a few bugs of some sort. As long as the device operates well for the most part I will be happy. If for some reason I can not get used to the Storm then I will be getting the Curve for my next phone since I already sold my 8830.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Scalfi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I love my storm... just sold my Curve yesterday. I am also a heavy user.

Like the other posters stated, it takes some getting used to, but once you get the knack of it you will be just fine.

The only real gripe I have is that the call log... which is what I always dialed out on... only works in portrait mode... so no qwerty keyboard

I have adapted by dialing out from contacts... which works just as good.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
michal64

i went from a curve, and i love storm, just cant stop using it, to my surprise, i am able to type faster on the storm then on my curve, (i do 20-30 email a day) but thats me.

my main reason for upgrade was the bigger screen,web browser, and 3g, (tmobile before)
Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Evil Sports
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve
Carrier: VZW

2 totally different devices.The storm is Not really anything like a 7xxx or a 8xxx. I have had my storm since saturday after a 7130, pearl and curve. Its a learning curve with the storm. To me its not the blackberry you are used to thats for sure but its growing on me.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
notlownf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalfi View Post
The only real gripe I have is that the call log... which is what I always dialed out on... only works in portrait mode... so no qwerty keyboard

I have adapted by dialing out from contacts... which works just as good.
You can change that so it defaults to the call log instead of dial pad.
Hit the send button
when the dial pad comes up hit the BB logo
go to options
general options
change initial view to call log
Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
obeythelaw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330

I guess I'm in the minority here. Although I did not purchase the Storm, I have used my cousin's phone at length and played around with it in the store. I don't think I will be giving up my curve for the storm. My biggest gripe is the surepress screen. I thought it would be like the iPhone screen but I can't get used to actually have to press down on the screen to access certain apps, etc. I never had a problem with the virtual keyboard. I think the slowness will be fixed with software updates so I wouldn't be concerned about that. All in all, it just doesn't seem as sleek as I thought it would be. I'm passing on it.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Wanchaiman

Model: 5820
Carrier: hk
Default Upgrading

I know this is off topic, but I was still waiting to upgrade to the new Curve... until the Storm came out

Had a Pearl for two years and just love it. Then I got an iPod touch to see if I liked the email experience.... I did not like it at all so an iPhone was out of the window.

So waiting still.... seeing what other people say before I take the plunge.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for all the comments. I will go today up to the vzw store and spend some quality time with the phone. I am going to try to send two work emails out on it to see how it goes. I will know right away I think if I like it or not. For example, I had a pearl, and I knew within the first hour I did not like the device, went to the 8830 now the curve, and I actually really like the curve, but the allure of the new technology (and vzw offering me the new every two upgrade without the two part) is drawing me to this. Now if the Bold were on the horizon at verizon, then I would just wait. That device looks like the best of both the curve and the storm

Thanks again all.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Scalfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlownf View Post
You can change that so it defaults to the call log instead of dial pad.
Hit the send button
when the dial pad comes up hit the BB logo
go to options
general options
change initial view to call log
Thanks for the advice, I had already set up the convenience key on the left side of the phone for call log.

I just changed it so the green button is now for call log, sorted by most used, and the left convenience key for contacts.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Hebdog7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: Some leters and numbers

Ok my 2 cents.

I went from a Curve to the Storm. I kind of hated it at first but knew I had to give it a chance. I hated my first BB I ever got and every BB after that till I got used to it. These people who are giving it bad reviews are a majority of the people who went to a store and test drove it for 15-20 minutes. Had I based that on my decision then I would not have bought the phone.

Yes there is issues with the device. Yes it lags. Yes the screen orientation is not fast, but it is a new device and when has RIM ever let a device fail cause of software? They will get it fixed.

Typing was brutal...at first now Im just as fast in either mode as I was on the Curve. Basically its a learning curve. When you get into a vehicle that you never have drove before you have to get used to how it performs before you can drive it like your own. Granted you know how to drive but you can't drive your car exactly like a different car. Example: A truck will not drive and handle like a car but you can drive both you just have to get used to the truck.

So to those who don't like the Storm take it back. Every person has things they like and dis-like. This decive is not for everyone.
Closed Thread