BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
KaneM

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES vs Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync - Updates?

Please Login to Remove!

I'd like to find a recent document (or recent posting I've overlooked) that objectively compares/contrasts BES vs Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #2
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneM
I'd like to find a recent document (or recent posting I've overlooked) that objectively compares/contrasts BES vs Exchange 2003 SP2 ActiveSync. Thanks.
mee too, but would this not be best asked in the BES forum?

note - BESX 4.1.2 user here..
Old 09-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
KaneM

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
mee too, but would this not be best asked in the BES forum? note - BESX 4.1.2 user here..
Would gladly post it on BES Admin forum, and at your prompting have since done so.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Wino

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Server Admin answers in...

Hmm, well I have bothrunning onmy network. Have a crackberry server running BES and working fine. Also have my Treo 600 650s and 700s running through Exchange Server2003 Active Sync.

Comparison: both are "fruit" just different flavors, one apples one oranges?

I prefer having it run off Exchange Server. But the Blackberry users seem happier, more into their devices and learing technology, which helps me.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

BlackBerry devices are more simplistic for non techie users to be honest. Having tested Exchange 2003 SP2 heavily I have to say that although MS have figured out how to do the wireless emails side of it, they really haven't grasped device management. Some of our BES clients have hundreds of BlackBerry devices, and they simply could not manage their device fleet as effectively with MS devices as there simply isn't enough device info relayed back server side. MS will argue that BES is middleware, and therefore added cost, but the flip side is that MS devices cost a lot more to buy than BlackBerrys, and therefore what you save server side, you will quickly spend on devices.

Different flavours, certainly, but at this stage Exchange 2K3 SP2 doesn't taste as sweet!!

Old 09-18-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Honestly, if you're look into a solution NOW, and if the Exchange infrastructure is there already, test it out - no harm, no foul. As mentioned, BES does cost extra, in terms of licensing, support, etc., but right now its a MUCH more superior and mature product, from top to bottom. Security concerns surrounding everything about WM5 devices is rarely, if ever, found in BlackBerry devices. There's a positive, sometimes, to having a propietary solution (for the most part). I do think Microsoft has a bright future ahead of them in this market - Exchange 2007 w/ AJAX OWA and better Direct Push technology should be the first step they'll take; the second being about another 1-2 generations of Windows Mobile OSes. Until that point, I'm against their solution (but I'm open to the future of it).
Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Stern
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I posted this in your other thread in the BES section but posting it here too in case you missed it.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...sMobile.pdf%22

It's an independent report comissioned by MS but the facts are pretty straight.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stern
It's an independent report comissioned by MS but the facts are pretty straight.
An independent report commissioned to Microsoft India's partnership presence? If you're not aware, Wipro is an official Microsoft partner, and basically a Microsoft entity, on pretty much all new wireless and RTC products. That article is NOT unbiased, and I will guarantee that!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #9
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have read the article and just skimmed it again. It is biased toward microsoft and RIM still measures up real close. The docment is almost a year old and RIM has improved on some things in BES 4.1 that it says they lack. Microsoft has made no improvements since then. They don't even address the fact that you can access corporate data with a BB and can't very easily with a PDA running windows mobile.
Now, my take. My support time is much greater setting up Windows Mobile users and half won't sync initially using Active Sync on the device. I can't manage the devices to know who is using Active sync is difficult. Right now I use log parser to at least know who, in my company is using it. The biggest issue is since it uses your corporate login, if you change your password, you have to go change it on the device and if you are like us and you get pop ups when your password is 15 days from expiring, you will no longer sync until you change your password. I can tell me users of this all day but they always forget and we get a phone call. I hate this aspect of it.

RIM is far superier to Windows Mobile 5 and active sync in my opinion, on many fronts.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

jibi, you beat me to it man!!!! Independent my @ss!!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
My support time is much greater setting up Windows Mobile users...
Our experience totally corroborates this and extends well beyond set up. Overall support for WM devices is much more time consuming. We don't support them at all and still standardize on Blackberries. MS could definitely gain the lead if they get things straightened out but they're nowehere near there as far as support time required by IT staff.
Closed Thread