BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:28 PM   #1
andidarmali
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Exclamation Is it possible for One BES to serve multiple Domain/mail servers?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I'm new Blackberry administrator. Is it possible for one Blackberry server to serve multiple domain / multiple mail servers ? Any help will be very appreciated.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
cmage

Model: 8100

If you are talking about MS exchange - then as long as exchange servers are in the same ORG, it is possible.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #3
ld-runner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

seeing as how the MAPI requirements are for a single address it would seem unlikely to be able to service multiple domains.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
udontknowjack

Carrier: T-Mobile

I have my bes working with multiple domains and multiple exhange servers in multiple sites. The key is all my exchange servers are in the same Domain as the BES server. Users are in child domains of that domain and many users have different domains for SMTP.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the topic seems similar enough...so apologies up front!

I have an Exchange 5.5 site that we are using with our BB setup. Our company just acquired a new site that is on a different (but trusted) domain with Exchange 2003. Our AD is 2003.

Do you believe there may be a capability to have a user at the new site still utilize their existing email server but be controlled by our BES at our location?

Again sorry if I moved this slightly off the OP topic.

Rob
Old 06-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
cjs

Model: 8707
Carrier: O2

If you are talking about BES for Domino then yes a single BES can support multiple mail servers and multiple domains.

Official support for multiple domains was included at BES 4.0 but even at 2.x you could get it to work by adding the person documents to the Domino Directory for the domain BES was running in.

Multiple mail servers has always been a feature and the BES did NOT have to be in the same Named Network as the mail servers even if the documentation said it did!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
geek101

Model: 8700R

qc_metal,
Exchange servers only one organization. As long as 5.5 and 2003 are part of the same exchange organization, Blackberry Enterprise Server will work if the service account has access on the second exchange server.
If it is a completely different forest, different organization you cannot even get an exchange server to serve that forest.
Theres alot questions that need to be asked prior to this. Multiple domains in NT work different, AD uses forests and trees. If its a different name space which means a different tree but in the same forest, exchange will serve all domains since its one exchange organization, regardless of how many domains and names spaces.

Now we are getting into exchange topologies and AD, but if your 2003 exchange server currently can serve 5.5 users (which implies that they are in the same exchange organization) then the BES will work as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
andidarmali

Really appreciate your help Gentlemen!! I've read all of your replies, and have found a lot of useful information. So if one company use exchange server, and it has 2 domains then it seems to be a little bit difficult to implement BES to serve these two domains.

But, the replies also mentioned that if i have some access from one mail server to another (maybe i should make some windows' trust relationship rules first?), then it will be a chance to have my blackberry server serving these two domains.

It is also very interesting to know that BES still able to recognize other Lotus Domino mail server that is not in the same name network with the primary Lotus Domino.

I'm learning so much, again, Thank You very Much!!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #9
spjones

Model: 8700
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Multiple Domain

We've been using a single BES serving 2 Windows domains and 5 exchange servers for about 9-10 months. We've had a fair amount of problems but it does work. Provided the network response from the Exchange server to the BES is <35ms, everything should be ok.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if you could afford to put other BES's in the other domain.
That's what we've found anyway. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
revision78

We run a single BES server, with 160+ handhelds and the BES is on our Root domain and we have 7 child domains. Child domains or not, it works just fine.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
asugarbe

We run the BES 4.0 and 4.1 in our environment for multiple domains. As long as the domains have a trust relationship and your BES admin account is given read privilege on all the Exchange Servers, it should work.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #12
TheKing

Carrier: KPN

Is it a support scenario? We support, as IT, a different company with a different domain and Exchange org. Can we serve them with our BES Server? Will it work? Is it also a supported scenario? I found some docs on multiple domino domains on BB.com but nothing on Exchange.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #13
homeroarg

Carrier: Telecom Personal

There are about 5 Exchange servers in our org but only one BES Server, which is providing service only to exchange server #1. I have been moving user's mail DBs to the exchange server #1 when we want to provide them BB service.
How do i associate my BES Server to multiple Exchange Servers !??
We have BES 4.0 and Exchange 2003 all in the same domain.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
udontknowjack

You just have to give your besadmin ID administer store privilidges on each store on the other exchange servers and give it send as/receive rights on the mailbox accounts.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
homeroarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
You just have to give your besadmin ID administer store privilidges on each store on the other exchange servers and give it send as/receive rights on the mailbox accounts.
And what about the MAPI Profile ?!? It is pointing to exchange server #1....
I apologize for this newbie's questions, i've just taken the BB administration duties a few eeks ago....
Old 10-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
udontknowjack

Mapi profile doen't matter. It can point to any server in the org. You don't have to worry about that. The only thing you have to worry about is the proper permissions on the store and the accounts with your BESADMIN account.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #17
homeroarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack
Mapi profile doen't matter. It can point to any server in the org. You don't have to worry about that. The only thing you have to worry about is the proper permissions on the store and the accounts with your BESADMIN account.
Thank you very much !!!! I'll try this as soon as possible.
The lovely guys in the buying dept. ran out of licenses so i can not activate new users right now... :s
Are there any limitations for this ?!? Like connection latency, to name one...

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Something else to consider is the latency from the BES to the E-mail server, if it's ping response time is greater than 35ms than there might be some issues with hung threads,etc. We have 5 BES', 4 that are site specific (located on the same LAN as the Exchange server(s) that house the users) and 1 BES that connects to 12 different Exchange servers across the country - we added BES' to those specific sites due to latency issues and mail redirection getting bogged down. Some of our latency was greater than 90ms...