BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Arrow App to monitor & alert user if they are going over their minutes??

Please Login to Remove!

i just got whacked with a huge T-mobile bill. I went over my 1000 minutes by a couple hundred and the bill was ridiculous.

Is there an app that runs client-side (on the 8700) that can alert me when I start approaching my limit for the month?? I would pay $50 bucks for something like this since each month I go over costs me easily more than that....

I used to have an app that did this for my Nokia 3650 but I havent seen anything for BB, I tried searching but came up empty.

anyone??
Old 06-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
jdjleo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckman212
i just got whacked with a huge T-mobile bill. I went over my 1000 minutes by a couple hundred and the bill was ridiculous.

Is there an app that runs client-side (on the 8700) that can alert me when I start approaching my limit for the month?? I would pay $50 bucks for something like this since each month I go over costs me easily more than that....

I used to have an app that did this for my Nokia 3650 but I havent seen anything for BB, I tried searching but came up empty.

anyone??
I think alot of people would be wiling to shell out some cash for an app like that! i didnt know one actually existed! if you come acros one for a BB make sure and post! PPl would be interested!
The New at&t
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
morser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I asked www.needtext.net if their software package monitored phone usage and they replied that it does not.
You are right it would be a great program if it were very configurable so that you can enter the free calling times, to where they are free and whether there is a limit, daytime minutes, long distance charges...
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
slapshotw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

Hey,

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but just so you know, you can dial #646# to get your current month's minute usage.

-Matt
Old 06-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Zipper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotw
Hey,

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but just so you know, you can dial #646# to get your current month's minute usage.

-Matt
Is it work on Cingular?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah I know about the #646# "trick" but unfortunately you have to remember to do it every few days otherwise you lose track and its useless. it would be great if an app could keep tabs on this for you.

it would be great if the carriers themselves could send an alert when you have used, lets say 90% of your allotted minutes, but hey then they wouldn't get all that extra free cash...... grrrr
Old 06-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #7
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

I use MinuteWatcher http://www.minutewatcher.com/

It's a free site that will send text messages to your phone daily (or whenever you want), with a link to alert you to go online and check out how many minutes, text messages, and MB of data you have used daily. When viewing on a PC or BB, you can choose to view a textual or graphical report of a user's BB usage.

I am a heavy data, text, IM, email and PIN message user so this lists the number of total messages used as well as a forecast for the month (and the billing cycle end date is included in the report). Being on an unlimited data plan, I just want to see how much I use each month. LOL This way I can call and yell at T-Mobile if they decide they want to overcharge me for something they shouldn't. This may also work for all of you who are on Rogers and are on that 25 MB "unlimited" data plan.

There is also a calculator so you can calculate what your bill is going to look like based on your usage.

The only thing is that when a user sets up an account they ask for the password to the carrier's account to help generate the report. I am happy to report that they do not give your password to any other company whatsoever so this is a safe option.

Last edited by EricaJ1074; 06-07-2006 at 01:29 AM..
Old 06-07-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

hmmm.. that seems cool. I signed up.

their privacy policy scares me, and giving a 3rd party site complete access to my t-mo account where they can see my call history, address etc. is also equally scary. hopefully it wont backfire on me.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
digital/blasphemy
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700g

Minute watcher works great, and they also do data usage as well
Old 07-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #10
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now when I log into my MinuteWatcher account, It says:
Quote:
Since June 19, T-Mobile has been preventing us from accessing their servers. We are in contact with T-Mobile and hope to have this problem resolved shortly.

We apologize for the inconvenience!
F*CK!!! I hate T-mobile. I guess they probably blocked this type of thing so they could proceed with ripping off customers when they go over their 1000 minutes. I think this is really disgusting behavior and shows the greed of these companies.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
jdjleo

Quote:
I guess they probably blocked this type of thing so they could proceed with ripping off customers when they go over their 1000 minutes. I think this is really disgusting behavior and shows the greed of these companies.
Hehe obviously since i work for Cingular i have no reason to lie and defend T-Mo but that is just brutal! I mean cmon..the carriers arent "evil" like that, man! Lol its a business! U make T-Mo sound like COBRA haha.

Try this perspective:

Privacy. Its all over in the news and media right now. Peoples information being compromised. Big brother monitoring everyones phone calls. Carriers being forced to turn over entire company call logs.

Even though you authorise this company to view your account and what not it is still compromising your personal info! And the carriers have taken so much heat lately about this issue! Companies impersonating customers to get their call logs, and selling the info etc!

For all you know T-Mo discovered this company is SELLING their customers info, brother! They could be PROTECTING you, not taking you for a ride cuz they want you to go over your minutes.

I for one would not give out my account info to ANYone, let alone some internet company to monitor my account. That sounds like identity fraud waiting to happen!
The New at&t
Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
jdjleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper
Is it work on Cingular?
Cingular

Usage: *MIN#
Balance *BAL#
Payment *PAY

All of these service are free of charge!
The New at&t
Old 07-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #13
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
but that is just brutal! I mean cmon..the carriers arent "evil" like that, man! Lol its a business! U make T-Mo sound like COBRA haha..... For all you know T-Mo discovered this company is SELLING their customers info, brother! They could be PROTECTING you, not taking you for a ride
yeah right, how many of you remember to type *MIN# every day ?? I would guess very few. Point is, I reluctantly decided to give out my personal info to this questionable company. That was *my* decision. It is not theirs to make. Even if it was, I doubt very much that T-mobile is "protecting" me.. that is quite naive to assume. If anything, they are "protecting" their greedy CEOs and corporate profits by making it difficult or impossible for any sort of proactive-monitoring of minute usage. This way they can rely on people's laziness to guarantee that many will just sail right over the 1000-minute barrier and rack up ridiculous bills, forcing them to either:
...a) sign up for a higher monthly plan
...b) pay through the nose

grrr
Old 07-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
jdjleo

Quote:
yeah right, how many of you remember to type *MIN# every day ??
LOL people use it ALL the time! Add it to yourt adress book and speed-dial it!
The New at&t
Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
jdjleo

Talking

Quote:
.. that is quite naive to assume. If anything, they are "protecting" their greedy CEOs and corporate profits by making it difficult or impossible for any sort of proactive-monitoring of minute usage.
Your're right, im naive.

And the government blew up the WTC.

Have a nice day, sweetie!
The New at&t
Old 07-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
luckman212
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
im naive
could not have said it better myself.

Quote:
Have a nice day, sweetie!
aww, thanks honey- you too!
let's close this thread now, its getting stuffy in here.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: TELUS

Kind of late to the party but I developed an app (commercial) that breaks down your phone minutes, but there is no auto warning to tell you when you are going over.

Phone Minutes Tracker by Adrian Logan Consulting - Handango BlackBerry 8700c Software

You can manually refresh it or it will refresh when it starts up. Keeps track of day time, evening/weekend and free numbers.
Closed Thread