Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Waiting For The Q10

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Looks like your wish will be granted. Check out this on Engadget: BlackBerry awarded design patent for portrait QWERTY slider, could be a BB10 Torch
Hmm.... Guess I'll put on the brakes in acquiring the Q10. I hope this comes to pass as it solves both issues for me - large screen with a tactile keyboard.

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Those are some drool-worthy specs for a BlackBerry. Dual core processor at 1.5GHz is something BB owners previously only dared dream of. Likewise an 8MP camera with LED flash and autofocus. And how about that 2GB RAM?? Finally!! And a 3.1" screen to boot! Getting rid of the trackpad lets them increase the screen size without adding appreciably to the overall dimensions. We're talking a couple millimeters added to the 9900's dimensions. I'll take that!
Over the past 2 days there have been a number of very positive reveiws. Here is one of them.

With near-perfect keyboard, Q10 a better BlackBerry than Z10 - The Globe and Mail

The only consistent negative theme has been the lack of apps. Although BBM has video in OS10, one long missing app from Blackberry is Skype. Apparently the Q10 comes with OS10.1 which has Skype!! OS10.1 soon to come to the Z10 according to reports.
One of the negatives for me is the lame map app which comes with OS 10. I have not found anything I like better than Google Maps. I am told however that the Android Google Maps can be ported to OS10 fairly easily.

I will see what Rogers comes up with on an early upgrade for the May 1 release here in Canada. Still smarting though from an enormous data bill while on an overseas trip in late fall - $5 a mb on a Plan! (vs AT&T .25 a mb) Do I really want to commit for another 3 years? (The three major carriers in Canada all require a 3 year commitment for a subsidized phone xxx8211; the three newer small carriers all all up for sale, being unable to compete with the major cariers).

Last edited by jimfraser; 04-25-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 08:20 PM   #23
Naiera

Model: 9900
Carrier: 3

Reading the last post here, I've all but pooped my pants in excitement about maybe gettin' that Q10 in the next month or so ;)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

OS 10.1 does not have Skype. I have OS 10.1 on my Z10.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

I have Skype on my Dev Alpha C.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #26
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesonquan View Post
QWERTY forever
French and German Q10s will not be QWERTY.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
Over the past 2 days there have been a number of very positive reveiws. Here is one of them.

With near-perfect keyboard, Q10 a better BlackBerry than Z10 - The Globe and Mail

The only consistent negative theme has been the lack of apps. Although BBM has video in OS10, one long missing app from Blackberry is Skype. Apparently the Q10 comes with OS10.1 which has Skype!! OS10.1 soon to come to the Z10 according to reports.
One of the negatives for me is the lame map app which comes with OS 10. I have not found anything I like better than Google Maps. I am told however that the Android Google Maps can be ported to OS10 fairly easily.

I will see what Rogers comes up with on an early upgrade for the May 1 release here in Canada. Still smarting though from an enormous data bill while on an overseas trip in late fall - $5 a mb on a Plan! (vs AT&T .25 a mb) Do I really want to commit for another 3 years? (The three major carriers in Canada all require a 3 year commitment for a subsidized phone xxx8211; the three newer small carriers all all up for sale, being unable to compete with the major cariers).
I've never used many apps. The Q10 is looking like the one for me.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

Here is a decent review of the Q10. I can't understand the complaints about screen size or camera, but most of the review is fair. The Q10 definitely appears to be aimed at corporate BB users.

BlackBerry Q10 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
Old 04-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #29
steakman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 2826774b
Carrier: Telus-Personal/Rogers Work

Lets face it. for the most part I like the fact that RIM continues to cater to the business crowd....Its WHAT they do. I am not in a BB for games...got a Wi and PS3 for that stuff., and if mobile, I'd be concerned about running into parked cars or a lamppost if I had an iPhone or a Samsung BOX. (why aren't there more reported injuries from that kind of sheet eh.??)

I digress..Lol

I am however, interested in a screaming fast browser..oh yea.
I am however, also interested in a dual core processor..uhuh.
I am however, very interested in 64Gb of microSD
And..hoping the TELE-phone capabilities are up to snuff - contrary to many of the sheeple, I actually talk on my phone from time to time.

All good things...larger screen too will not be a negative either.
Skype native..yea not a bad thing either eh.

BBM, E-MAIL are my main tickets... and the wife gets my 9900 till the end of its contract in a year. She too will be happy..for now.!

Glad I go on days off Friday...May 3rd I think it is. Seems I'll be in a Telus store Sat aft..!!

cheers from Suncor Oil Sands
Stk

Last edited by steakman; 04-29-2013 at 10:22 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
BigCloser

Model: curve

In regards to a stronger performance in the US, I think they simply need to have some sort of "Born Again" ad campaign, and take the focus back to the working man, to the basics of the phone, all the other nonsense is cool and fun, but ANGRY BIRDS shouldnt be the deciding factor in which model phone your going with. All phones should be compared on a basis of basic functionality, and blackberry should focus its own development efforts on increasing the phones integration into the business environment.

Out of curiosity, do phone companies like Blackberry ever consider buying a developer or app company to take exclusivity over an app developed if it is a true gamechanger/ monumental piece of the tech? If they don't listen, I'd figure they'd be willing to do business when someone shows up at their doorstep with what they need.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #31
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Anybody sweating it out for the Q10 (just us Sprint users as of now - everybody else and his mother have released it) or trying to decide if it's right for them should take a look at this discussion on the BlackBerry Support Forums:

Why I'm giving up my Q10 to go back to the Bold 99... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Keep in mind that BB10 is still a very young operating system and the Q10 is the newest model to use this nascent OS. Make sure the growing pains associated with BB10 are not deal-breakers for you.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Make sure the growing pains associated with BB10 are not deal-breakers for you.
The best quote I've seen on BB10. If the nuances, changes or missing features are deal breakers, do not get a BB 10 device yet. Wait for a few updates. Like 10-20.
Closed Thread