BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
slammin86
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Alltel
Default Best skins ever...is this normal???

Please Login to Remove!

I received my order from best skins ever and decided to install it today. I got the full body protection one with 4 pieces. The install was pretty easy. I got my soapy water ready and my lint free towels and took them into the bathroom. I then took a shower with the door shut and after I was done in the shower I installed the pieces. I got all the water bubbles pushed out and the skins are in place with no hair or anything underneath any pieces so I am happy there.

I powered up my phone after allowing it to dry and noticed that there are vertical lines all across the screen now, they almost appear to be under the cover that I put on. Has anyone else experienced this? If so do these lines go away?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #2
tobyw
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Whether this is 'normal' or not I don't know, but I have one vertical line which sounds like what you are describing. It doesn't bother me too much especially as I now know my phone is protected from bumps and scrapes...
Old 12-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
tsalonia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

I also experienced this EXACT problem with the BSEs. I removed it and purchased the Bodyguardz for the 8130. MUCH better, IMO. Very clear and no lines!
Old 12-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
StanMort
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

When I installed mine it looked absolutly horrible there were air or water bubbles all over it. After a few days it was crystal clear
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
Ominx

Carrier: VZW

Definitely give it a few days. Although you shouldn't see them in the first place, I am pretty confident they will clear up after they have some time to "bond" to the screen.

BTW, the whole steam shower thing isn't really necessary with these types of protectors. That's the whole purpose of the soapy water. As long as the screen is clean and free of lint and hair, once you get the skin soapy wet you should have a perfect install. I've probably done about 10 devices with the BSE shields without any issue. Oh and if you plan on doing more devices in the future, I highly recommend people buy the DIY sheets and cut to size. You'll save some money and always have some on hand.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I am useing BSE. THe service is excellent. The people are very helpful and friendly.
This is what I noted:

1. SIZE: The pieces are all about 1mm smaller than the area that needs covering. Thus, when applied, there is about a 0.5mm gap at each edge of the covered area. The only problem with this is that dirt seems to collect a bit at the edge of the cover piece. It's really not a big deal.

2. Screen lines. After installation, I note many verticle lines on the screen. They are very fine lines, and images on the screen are easily seen behind them. They appear to be due to refraction by the structure of the BSE material as they move a bit as one tilts the device (8130 Pearl). They are especially visible when the image behind has a lot of white space (as in the unprinted part of a document). I'm getting used to them, but wish they had not appeared.

Other than the above, with the very inexpensive price and excellent service, I am happy with the BSE product.
Bruce
Old 12-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I am currently using ScreenPatronus for my needs. For the same price (approximately) you get three screen protectors and they are crystal clear. You also don't need to use any solutions to apply them. Highly recommended.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

I have BSE on my Pearl...no lines whatsoever, beautiful and clear. Same on my son's iPod. However, my wife's BSE on her Pearl has the vertical lines...I applied the two on my Pearl and my son's iPod, she applied the one on her Pearl. I made very limited use of a credit card to push out water/bubbles during application, she made heavy use of a credit card. That's about the only difference, so w/out further data, I blame her more "aggressive" approach and "heavy" use of the credit card.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Do you mean that you just laid the wet screen protector in place, adjusted its position and then did no more? No squeegy action at all? Did you use your fingers at least to press down a bit? I'll try a reapply if that's the case although I haven't any idea how to get it off to reapply. If you would answer the above and perhaps advise how to get it off, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

I just installed my BSE on my Curve, and I think I can see the lines you are talking about. I consider this to be a temporary side effect of using soapy water to apply the protector, though. If it is still visible in a few days, then I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. Give it a few days for the solution to evaporate and check it then.

Oh, and I didn't use a credit card or anything similar. I just used my fingers.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

My cover has been on for at least a week. So the problem doesn't go away, but it still could be in the application process. I'll await Danabw's response. It's a bit disturbing that you have the lines inspite of a more "gentle" application. I also emailed the BSE people with the problem report. I'll see what they suggest.
Bruce
Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Well dang...

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
bhw
Thumbs Must Hurt

One hour after sending an inquiry to Best Skins Ever, I received a reply from Michael Herring, the president. He stated that it was possible that the Skin I received may have suffered from a manufacturing defect. He said they would immediately send out a replacement. Now that's service!
Bruce
Old 12-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #14
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Excellent!

Semper Fi 3/2/2
Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
Ominx

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhw View Post
Do you mean that you just laid the wet screen protector in place, adjusted its position and then did no more? No squeegy action at all? Did you use your fingers at least to press down a bit? I'll try a reapply if that's the case although I haven't any idea how to get it off to reapply. If you would answer the above and perhaps advise how to get it off, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks,
Bruce
You definitely do NOT need to use a credit card or hard pressure when applying the BSE. You can push out any air bubbles or soapy water with your finger (not your finger nail), but once it is set in its proper location, just let it sit while it dries...give it around 60 minutes to handle and you should be all set.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #16
slammin86

Quote:
One hour after sending an inquiry to Best Skins Ever, I received a reply from Michael Herring, the president. He stated that it was possible that the Skin I received may have suffered from a manufacturing defect. He said they would immediately send out a replacement. Now that's service!
Bruce

After seeing this I sent them an email also. I just sent mine to [email address]
Is this who you sent yours to?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #17
Willie115

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx

This just depends on your installation, I installed my first skin and I had 4 lines... after a few days it ended up with 1 tiny line. I decided to reapply after I dropped superglue on the screen, took it out, applied a new skin, it's perfect this time. BSE have great skins and you should be very careful when installing to avoid these lines. Just give it time, it may go away.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 AM   #18
slammin86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115 View Post
This just depends on your installation, I installed my first skin and I had 4 lines... after a few days it ended up with 1 tiny line. I decided to reapply after I dropped superglue on the screen, took it out, applied a new skin, it's perfect this time. BSE have great skins and you should be very careful when installing to avoid these lines. Just give it time, it may go away.
So what can you do to avoid these lines?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 AM   #19
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Thanks,
Bruce
As Ominx noted, I pretty much used my fingers, I tried the credit card a little but felt after a brief try that it was overkill.

My first two skins came in one order, the last one (for my wife) in a separate order...there is always the possibility that they got in a set of skins that had a problem, so the "credit card factor" could be a red herring. However, if I apply any more skins, I will use the method I used on my first two...

Last edited by Danabw; 12-27-2007 at 04:54 AM..
Closed Thread