Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
rsubrahmanian

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default BB icon not moving down next to wireless icon when connected to WiFi

Please Login to Remove!

Until yesterday when at home, my new Torch would connect to my home's WiFi and the BB icon would move down from the top right corner to beside the WiFi icon.
Suddenly its stopped doing that.
I verified that I am connected to my WiFi.
My only issue is that the icons are not indicating that.
Please help
Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: BB icon not moving down next to wireless icon when connected to WiFi

Do you get email, BBM and other RIM services via WiFi? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. Could be a theme issue.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
CanadianRoots

Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: BB icon not moving down next to wireless icon when connected to WiFi

This is not a theme thing. This is an issue and the blackberry internet services are not moving over to the wifi. The reason this is happening is because some sort of a change was made on some server, I'm assuming RIM because I have several other friends who are having the same problem who are not on ATT. I spent about 4 hours on the phone with ATT and RIM yesterday and currently have a ticket open with RIM which I need to follow up on sometime in the next day or two.

This is happening on my Torch, my GF's Storm2, and my friends Bold. It is something to do with RIM's servers making your phone think that the WIFI you are trying to connect to is a hotspot. My recommendation is to call either ATT or call RIM directly 1-877-255-2377.

-Chris
Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
rsubrahmanian

Carrier: Rogers

Chris - To your point - my BB Torch actually thinks my home WiFi is a hotspot and prompts me to connect ( even when I have set the 'prompt to connect' off )

Before yesterday - the 'Login to hotspot ?' thing was not happening. It simply connected by itself and the BB Icon moved down next to the WiFi icon.

I plan to call Rogers and RIM

Thanks for the phone #
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Mandel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

Same issue here in Paris, since three days.

I have three active BB devices in my household, and it is happening with all devices. One of my devices is in roaming mode, so I tested connecting to the three French providers, and the issue follows.

With the BB logo not being next to the wi-fi logo, it means that the data traffic is counting towards your data plan, and also is frequently slower than via your wi-fi router.

I hope this is an "error" from RIM's servers, and not a conscious change, as is the case now in the UAE , as part of the agreement between RIM and the UAE forcing all traffic (except internet), to go via the providers servers.

Last edited by Mandel; 06-11-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Medic48
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I am not having any issues connecting to any data service (website, PIN, BBM, email and all other bb services) while I both WiFi and service provider.

Secondarily, voice calls made through UMA are working without any issue. So there doesn't seem to be a global RIM service issue.

Service Provider: Rogers Wireless

--Phil
Old 06-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Sedgr

Model: Torch
Carrier: Sasktel

Im having this same issue. Got my Blackberry Torch about a week ago. Got setup on a data plan everything was working great. Was able to use the Blackberry Internet services, BBM etc, on the Mobile Network or on the Wifi network no problem.

As of two or three days ago now, I can't connect to the Blackberry services anymore when connected to the wifi. When Im connected to the regular mobile network I get the 3G icon, the Blackberry icon, and the Signal Strength icon and everything works fine.

If I disconnect from the Mobile Network and switch over to my inhome Wifi, I only get the wifi signal strength icon, whereas I used to still get the blackberry icon as well. No blackberry icon, means no bbm etc.

An additional symptom showed up at the same time. Suddenly my Torch is convinced that my home wifi, which I set up manually, is a Wifi hotspot. It keeps asking me if I would like to connect to this hotspot, where previously it hadnt asked me that at all and just connected automatically. No changes have been made to the wifi whatsoever since the problem cropped up.

I contacted my carrier (Sasktel - Saskatchewan- Canada) and we went through a bunch of trouble shooting steps. Tech support for the carrier couldnt determine what the problem was, we applied updates, resent service books, all sorts of things. They even attempted to replicate the problem from their end with a torch they had around and couldnt duplicate my problem. We've had no luck, still unable to get it working the way it was.

In the end Sasktel has now suggested that its something wrong with the hardware and I should return it and get a replacement.

So, does anyone have any solid information on what the issue is? Or should I follow the carriers advice and just return the Torch as defective? I'd hate to return it if theres really nothing wrong with it, but Im not coming up with any better solutions here.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Hmm, not only is it not a global RIM service issue, its not even a widespread AT&T issue. Both mine and my wife's Torch's are working just fine on our home WiFi, just as they always have.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Sedgr

Model: Torch
Carrier: Sasktel

This is the thread thats been going on the support forums.

supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/BIS-over-WIFI-stopped-working/td-p/1132235

Mines been working since yesterday again, but it was a global issue only affecting some users. No ones clear on what was causing the issue, or why it only affected some people but it was some sort of problem on RIMs side.

That thread on the support forums even has an announcement from one of the European support teams that they fixed the problem, after which people continued to report the issue.

But as I said, mine at least has begun working again, so I hope it gets sorted out soon for anyone still having the issue.
Closed Thread