Old 09-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
jabxyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Internal firewal???Storm owners in Latin America need a hand

Please Login to Remove!

Guys,
I´m not a newbie to BBs in general but this one has thrown me and the local tech guys for a loop. I´m living overseas on a work assignment in El Salvador. I have a BB Storm, 9530 running version 4.7.0.148 Platform 4.0.0.181. This was an ebay used purchase and from the branding screen it looks like it originally was on the Bell network. I presently have a SIM in it from Latin American phone giant TIGO. (BTW real nice folks and good customer service in my experience)

The voice side works great. Email is fine. BBM is fine. The problem has crystalized when I try to go online from the device. They have configured, re-registered and re-serviced booked this thing til the cows came home. It never actually connects to the net. After the last two hour session at the TIGO store today with the Store BB tech on the phone with his support supervisor etc, the guy confessed his frustration. He noted that they have no problem with pearls, Bolds or any other BB model except the Storm. As he explained it and I believe that he is giving me his honest understanding of the problem not some BS excuse, the Storm unlike the other BB comes with an internal firewall. They have been unable to get at the firewall to be able to configure it to allow net access to any Storm owners. He was very surprised that they got as far as they did with my unit, BBM and Email. No other Storm owners here have gotten this far. I told him that I would post this up. He said that if I could get a step by step go by of how to access and configure the internal firewall to allow their method of net access he would do it and call the other Storm owners back in to pass the fix along.

Does this problem ring a bell? I tried to search but didn´t find anything on point. Then again, I was probably doing it wrong.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

jabxyz,

One person comes to mind, Travis Laird. This guy is a BES guru. He will be able to tell you if it can be done or not. He is busy sometimes but hit him up. He will respond. If he doesn't know, then I am sure he can point you in the right direction. Try contacting him via email and Facebook. See the link below for the info.

Travis Laird | BlackBerry Internet Service IP Ranges

Verizon 9530
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
jabxyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
jabxyz,

One person comes to mind, Travis Laird. This guy is a BES guru. He will be able to tell you if it can be done or not. He is busy sometimes but hit him up. He will respond. If he doesn't know, then I am sure he can point you in the right direction. Try contacting him via email and Facebook. See the link below for the info.

Travis Laird | BlackBerry Internet Service IP Ranges
XelhaBB,
Thanks for the quick reply. Truly, oddly enough, now out of the blue I have net access. However my Storm handset seems to oscillate between EDGE and edge data coverage. I don´t think its a network issue as I have a Bold for work and it is sitting side by side with my Storm which has never stopped registering 3G/EDGE on the same network. On the Storm when I have full EDGE I can access sites and forums, post up, etc without any issues. When I start recieving in edge all data reception stops. Is this an issue with the Storm?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

All blackberrys have a firewall. Is yours locked on so that you cannot disable it? Is that the issue?

Also, it is sounding to me like the service provider does not support the Storm model(s). But you say sometimes you do get EDGE.

When you see EDGE in all caps, you are connecting to the RIM/BlackBerry network. When it drops to edge, you are not longer connected to the RIM/BlackBerry network.

If your firewall is locked on and you are unable to disable it, then it would seem you have an IT policy on the device. Given you acquired it second hand, that's a posibility. Check in the security options and see. And if there is a policy, see blackberryfaq.com for instructions on how to remove it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
jabxyz

Ok, I have full access to the device firewall settings and the firewall is and has been disabled. In terms of applications and settings, I can load applications and I can see the settings listed for the ones that I have loaded. Is there anywhere else I should look on the device aside in Security options for evidence of an IT policy?

Re: Service provider support for the device, I had no problems signing up for my plan with this device and any time in the past that I have needed help configuring it I went to the store and the techs happily configured it. Per what the tech and his supervisor said yesterday they are just stumped as to why Storms in particular have trouble accessing the internet via their network and on the few that can do so, now I´m in that club, why do they lose "big edge" at times and then re-aquire it later. As I mentioned I also have a Bold for work and no such issues have arisen using the same service provider.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm in over my head, but I wonder if your issue is related to the sort of issue addressed in the sticky at the top of the forum, http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-t-mobile.html.

Other than that, I'll quit while I still may be ahead. I don't know the particular issues with the Storm models.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
ghostrider2k9

Model: 8250
PIN: N/A
Carrier: CLARO
Default It's not a firewall issue...

I live in El Salvador too, sometime ago i bought a storm2 9550 and make it work in our networks is really tricky.

At the first time you wont be able to use your blackberry in 3G mode, because in El Salvador it use 1900mhz, and the storm2 use 2100mhz

Two, the 9550 it's a Verizon branded and that's the real problem. I was able to access to the Engineering screens and discover one setting called PDP, this setting keeps the name of the server used to register your blackberry to the blackberry services, because of my storm is Verizon branded it connects to "emgsm.vzw3g.com". I change this setting to "blackberry.net" and with a little of luck in some minutes more my "Host Routing Table" (That some minutes ago was empty) show an entry pointing to a blackberry.net server. Only then i was able to see the EDGE signal at the top of the screen and do anything that i want as a normal blackberry.

Theres is just one trouble, every time you resets the phone the settings get lost and you got to begin again...

But there's another solution. I've found that when you use your storm with Digicel there's not trouble and the blackberry services work flawless (I don't know why) of course their data transfers are a little bit slower than Tigo but i can live with that

I was able to keep my Storm working for one year with Claro using the settings at the Engineering screen. Now i keep it with Digicel because i dont like to be changing the settings each time the system reboots.

Another possible solution is to change the VSM files on the blackberry (the one that sets the logo and the PDP settings for Bell or Verizon) to the VSM files of the Blackberry Engineering Labs... but i haven't found nobody who can do this on Storm
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Pendro

Model: 9550
Carrier: Digicel

Hello. I'm running 9550 in Panama on Digicel. Also owned a few 9530.

Look, at first you need to upgrade it to 5.0 .419 , this is a must due to the best radio files are inside the 5.0's OS (this is my experience working with this phones!),I corrected to the most with .419. You will ALWAYS have the EDGE/edge issue, the best you can do is to live with it and know how to reduce it to the minimal. There's a lot of video on youtube of people selling for 25 usd the solution but that is fraud!. Don't get caught.

Once you have installed the new OS the phone will keep EDGE longer. Every time you open a non-RIM application it will go to edge, the application will use the internet but BIS services (BBM, and Email) will not work until you close those application. CLOSE NOT MINIMIZE.

And yes, it's very frustrating!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Pendro

Model: 9550
Carrier: Digicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider2k9 View Post
I live in El Salvador too, sometime ago i bought a storm2 9550 and make it work in our networks is really tricky.

At the first time you wont be able to use your blackberry in 3G mode, because in El Salvador it use 1900mhz, and the storm2 use 2100mhz
I think 9550 is not a 3G.
Closed Thread