BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
wblovett
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mo
Arrow Sugar Trick on White Pearl - Good Idea?

Please Login to Remove!

I used the sugar trick to get rid of the T-Mobile branding on the lower face of my black Pearl and want to do the same with my white Pearl. I'm afraid that the pearlescent finish may only be a surface finish, though, and that while rubbing off the T-Mobile branding I'll also be rubbing off the pearlescent finish. Has anybody tried it yet?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblovett
I used the sugar trick to get rid of the T-Mobile branding on the lower face of my black Pearl and want to do the same with my white Pearl. I'm afraid that the pearlescent finish may only be a surface finish, though, and that while rubbing off the T-Mobile branding I'll also be rubbing off the pearlescent finish. Has anybody tried it yet?
I hope you know that taking the logo off will void your warranty.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonbomb1987
I hope you know that taking the logo off will void your warranty.
I doubt that very much. I've sent in BlackBerry with far more severe abraisive damage than simply rubbing off the logo.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhutchison
I doubt that very much. I've sent in BlackBerry with far more severe abraisive damage than simply rubbing off the logo.
Sanfran posted T-Mos exchange policy somewhere, that says you need to have the logo on there. Not including normal wear and tear.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Willie115
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: mEowmIx

Quote:
T-Mobile/Cingular/Rogers or whatever logo is needed to use the warranty. When you return your phone, they will check it unless you get very lucky and someone over looks it. Reason why the logo is so important? Well think of it this way, you have a T-mobile plan but a Cingular Pearl, they aren't going to help you fix that phone since you aren't on their plan, your friend can give you his phone and tell you to use the warranty, it would cost them money to fix and they wouldn't do it for a non-customer. The logo is very important.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:11 AM   #6
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115
T-Mobile/Cingular/Rogers or whatever logo is needed to use the warranty. When you return your phone, they will check it unless you get very lucky and someone over looks it. Reason why the logo is so important? Well think of it this way, you have a T-mobile plan but a Cingular Pearl, they aren't going to help you fix that phone since you aren't on their plan, your friend can give you his phone and tell you to use the warranty, it would cost them money to fix and they wouldn't do it for a non-customer. The logo is very important.
Exactly what i was trying to say.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
SanFrancisco

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Maybe you got lucky. But when I exchanged my T-Mo phone they said that the phone would be exchanged provided that the phone was in fact a T-Mo phone, "as indicated by the logo in front."

Yes, one might slip by and it may not become an issue, but why risk it and cause the Returns Dept. to ask questions and possibly delay an exchange, or in my case, risk that they charge me for returned phone followed up by questions.

It's just too risky IMHO, all just to give the Pearl a custom look, or for whatever reason one wants to attempt taking off the logo.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Sanfran posted T-Mos exchange policy somewhere, that says you need to have the logo on there. Not including normal wear and tear.
I don't doubt the existence of the legal fine-print but do you really think a technician is going to stop and say "no logo, no warranty"?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 AM   #9
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
... the phone would be exchanged provided that the phone was in fact a T-Mo phone, "as indicated by the logo in front."...
Or by the unique serialization of each peice of hardware ...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie115
... you have a T-mobile plan but a Cingular Pearl, they aren't going to help you fix that phone since you aren't on their plan, your friend can give you his phone and tell you to use the warranty, it would cost them money to fix and they wouldn't do it for a non-customer. The logo is very important.
Perhaps I'm missing something key here since my background is with a CDMA carrier. Each peice of hardware on our network is serialized and tracked. If I were to submit a Verizon BlackBerry for warranty replacement it would be the ESN that got flagged not the logo on the device.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:35 AM   #11
jsolts

Model: 8220
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Perhaps I'm missing something key here since my background is with a CDMA carrier. Each peice of hardware on our network is serialized and tracked. If I were to submit a Verizon BlackBerry for warranty replacement it would be the ESN that got flagged not the logo on the device.
Yes being a former rogers employee
i can tell you that every piece of hardware that any carrier sells can be traced back to the original carrier by esn or imei number
Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
wblovett

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mo
Exclamation Focus People - The Sugar Trick on White Pearl

Guys - I don't care about the warranty. I buy every new phone that comes out and have NEVER returned one for any reason. I just want to know if anybody has tried the sugar trick on a white Pearl.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:46 AM   #13
Liv

Carrier: Sprint

I don't have a white pearl, but if I were in your shoes I would try the sugar on the battery door. That way if it rubs off a little bit it is not as noticable and soon they will have replacement doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblovett
Guys - I don't care about the warranty. I buy every new phone that comes out and have NEVER returned one for any reason. I just want to know if anybody has tried the sugar trick on a white Pearl.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Remax Realtor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

I definitely would not. I just returned my black one with it rubbed off. I would buy a small piece of pearl white vinyl and cover it. Thats what I will be doing with mine.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
brmcguire
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

I never tried the sugar cube, but have done this successfully with a penny on my previous T-Mobile Pearl.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 PM   #16
saitoh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by brmcguire
I never tried the sugar cube, but have done this successfully with a penny on my previous T-Mobile Pearl.
Hey! how do you guys do this sugar or penny trick? I'd like to know

As for the logo issue.... IMO you'd really have to be an idiot not to look at the IMEI/SN on the phones you are servicing to realize that it belongs with a certain carrier, since they should all be registered as such. The whole "no logo, no warranty" thing sounds like they're doing it just because they can, and not for any practical or technical reason.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #17
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

"sugar trick"? Sounds strange. I assume that you are using it as an abrasive to remove logo. If so, 600 grit (or maybe higher) sandpaper, easily found at automotive stores or many Wal-Mart's, might be a better, smoother solution.

Why do many people get uncomfortable when someone wants to modify equipment? The cosmetic modifications don't really interest me, but if it makes it more useful to it's owner (speaker sound, light/backlighting on/off, etc.) why sound the "panic" alarm when someone shows off their work? I'm sure each modifier understands and accepts the risks involved. If such "risks" make you uncomfortable, simply don't take them. The panic cry of "you are going to void your warranty!!" is really unnecessary and obvious to most.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #18
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

There are plenty of threads out there that explain how to perform the sugar trick. Use the search feature at the top and just type in "sugar trick". No it does not use sandpaper.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:
There are plenty of threads out there that explain how to perform the sugar trick. Use the search feature at the top and just type in "sugar trick". No it does not use sandpaper.
Please re-read my post. I never said that this "sugar trick" uses sandpaper. Nor, did I ask how to find out more about this "sugar trick".

Many times the phrase "use the search feature" is a common way of degrading someone that appears to be less knowledgeable/lazy. I guess we can debate my knowledge (or lack of). However I was simply offering another way (perhaps better?) than using sugar, which isn't very uniform in grit size) of removing the label.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #20
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccess
Please re-read my post. I never said that this "sugar trick" uses sandpaper. Nor, did I ask how to find out more about this "sugar trick".

Many times the phrase "use the search feature" is a common way of degrading someone that appears to be less knowledgeable/lazy. I guess we can debate my knowledge (or lack of). However I was simply offering another way (perhaps better?) than using sugar, which isn't very uniform in grit size) of removing the label.
My appologies, i quoted you instead of the post above you. The only reason i said to use the search feature was to attract attention to it, not to make you feel lazy. As for the sandpaper comment, i thought that you used snadpaper instead of sugar and wanted to let others know that it was sugar this is used in the sugar trick not sandpaper. I dont want people to read that on here and not search for the actual thread.