Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #181
Tixxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
When you are turning the phone off, what do you mean, pressing the mute button?

See my tests. But for using the phone all the time for more than talking, I have to think my battery would last over two weeks if I used it as a phone only.

I think yours will be at more than 64% once it cycles through a few charges [meaning use it down to zero, recharges, use down to zero, recharge].

Can't recall exactly, but I think a few "full charge/discharge" cycles are supposed to fine tune these lithium batteries.
Hey SF,

Turning off, I am holding the red phone button until it turns off the phone.

Yeah, seems like it would last a lot longer after the cycling of whatever they said (5-6 times I think)
Old 02-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #182
hrhenry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Well, mine had already shipped by the time I wanted to cancel, so...

I got in in the mail yesterday.

My impressions are that it isn't nearly as bad as is being made out to be here.

The door latches fine, even without a piece of foam (something I never had on my phone). I'm with Cingular, so maybe it was just a bad piece that someone else was complaining about?
The color is fine. Glossy, not matte.

About the only thing that kind of surprised me was the weight. It adds a little bit more weight than I was expecting, but when it's not in the holster, it's laying on the desk, so I don't think that'll be a big problem.

All in all, I was really fretting over nothing. It'll be nice to have the extra battery life.

R.
==
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #183
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhenry
Well, mine had already shipped by the time I wanted to cancel, so...

I got in in the mail yesterday.

My impressions are that it isn't nearly as bad as is being made out to be here.
I was going to say that because I thought Seidio was getting a bum rap by people with unreasonable expectations or unique problems. And others were simply rude and insulting. But I did not want to fan the flames because as you can see, some people were ready and willing to start a flame war in this simple thread that reviews a battery.

Fact is:

This is an extended battery with an improved battery cover. Seidio delivers on both those items. IMHO the battery performs beyond even what they advertise. The cover locks way better than the OEM cover, has the speaker holes and is of better quality. In other words, this combo does exactly what I expected and then some.

IMHO demanding or expecting the cover to look the same as the Pearl's OEM finish is unreasonable. Moreover, most people complained about the Pearl's OEM finish. So in a way, Seidio was damned if it did and damned if it did not. I could just see some people complaining if the extended cover had the OEM glossy finish.

[By the way, if you put the BSE skin on the cover it matches the look of the OEM glossy cover].

And the latching mechanism, sounds like that member's problem was not the Seidio cover but rather the Pearl's latch. Even so, since no one else has reported the problem, sounds like it's not the Seidio cover that is the issue.

I don't think that complaining about shipping delays or Seidio customer service are reasons to not get this battery. To be sure, what other vendor has an online presence and addresses complaints. In any event, I think a PM or putting complaints in the rant section is more appropriate.

And to those complaining about the size, I think that is unfounded since one cannot comment on that until they get it in hand at which time they would discover how small this battery is so rudely commenting after looking at a picture was nonsense.

As to the price, that's a "to each their own" factor. Some people will automatically log on to eBay and use lowest price as the sole factor on buying anything. To them of course this battery does not make sense.

But like I said, I have bought extended batteries for many devices over the years. Fact is, most cost quite a bit. So this battery and cover is a fair deal considering what these things are. I know that 10 years ago extended batteries in local stores were over $100.

And lastly, I consider Seidio products to be above average in terms of manufacture and quality. See my post with pictures of an El Cheapo case as compared to Seidio's cases. Also, as I said before, it's easy to make and sell cheap, low quality batteries. They look the same as others, but they don't perform well and may even blow up.

Bottom line, thanks for taking the time to post and comment.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-02-2007 at 04:12 PM..
Old 02-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #184
baccess
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Many
Carrier: Various

Quote:

Fact is:

And the latching mechanism, sounds like that member's problem was not the Seidio cover but rather the Pearl's latch. Even so, since no one else has reported the problem, sounds like it's not the Seidio cover that is the issue.

Actually, at least two people have reported this. (And to be fair, at least two have reported it to work fine). Some Seidio covers do appear to be an issue somewhat, as the stock cover latches ok on the 8100s, but some of the Seidio covers don't. The extended battery prevents the cover from falling off completely, making this issue less of a problem. But it isn't the 8100s latch that is the problem, although that latch does seem to be weaker than you would like it, but apparently good enough for the stock cover.

8100s without the foam and Seidio covers without the logo, if that combination helps anyone. I do think Seidio makes quality products and I expect that they will correct my issue when contacted with further details. And yes, SF did get a bit of uncalled for heat for his enthusiastic review.

Last edited by baccess; 02-02-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #185
BBAddict8100
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

I received my extended battery on Thursday evening. I unplugged my Pearl at 6:00am Friday Feb 2nd, at which point I did an ALT R-A-C-E and saw my battery life at 100%. I have not turned the pearl off and have continued normal heavy usage, such as emailing, mms, sms, taking pictures, bb messenger, aim and google talk. Since the pearl is my main phone I don't ever turn it off, it is now Monday Feb 5 and I still have 25% battery left. I think I might be able to get through the day and finally charge it tonight when I go to bed.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #186
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccess
Actually, at least two people have reported this. . . Some Seidio covers do appear to be an issue somewhat, as the stock cover latches ok on the 8100s, but some of the Seidio covers don't.
If it is the Seidio cover, I be curious to see some follow up from the two people who reported the issue. [Lots of people complain about this or that issue with the Pearl, etc., but never follow up after ranting, complaining, or commenting].

We have not heard back from them after their initial reporting that the Seidio cover was the blame, e.g., did they get a new one from Seidio, did the replacement cover work better than the old one?

I'd be curious if their Pearls were the problem, the weak latch issue or if it was on Seidio's end.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-05-2007 at 12:21 PM..
Old 02-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #187
Tixxx

Model: 8900
Carrier: t-mobile

Doing another test. Battery at 100% as of 5:30am this morning...going to try to go the whole work week to see if I can make it under normal to above normal usage conditions. I did up my screen brightness to 100% and auto turn off up to 1 minute.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #188
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
[Lots of people complain about this or that issue with the Pearl, etc., but never follow up after ranting].
A negative comment about a lack of tight tolerances between a phone door and a phone does not equate to a rant.

If I had to place a wager on who has the higher Quality Control/Assurance standards and records, I'd go out on a limb and risk my wager with RIM, especially given how inherently difficult it is to keep high consistency on molded plastic parts.

Neither company is perfect, but sober and informed reason needs to rear its head on perceived issues like this without marginalizing others.

Last edited by backbeat; 02-05-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #189
phillyslickster

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7

San Francisco, I, like you, am very pleased with my extended battery for the pearl, as well as the other products that I have purchased from Seidio. The shipping and processing time have been relatively quick every time that I have ordered. I'm not having any issue with the battery door on my pearl that I received with the extended battery. I do know that the pearl latch itself is weak, but the battery cover has never removed itself on my pearl with either the extended battery door or the battery door that came with the pearl. I know that if a person will push on the battery door, then of course, it will slide off. Not to be sarcastic or anything, but if one is not pushing on the door, then they don't have to worry about it coming off. Yet, if there's a problem, then the user should contact Seidio. I'm sure that they would be glad to send a replacement.

I've paid just as much for a standard battery that I paid for the extended battery from Seidio because there was no extended battery offered at the time for my devices. IMHO, it is worth it for me to pay for the extended battery, so that I'm not having to constantly charge my BlackBerry or carry a spare battery, but to each its own. Honestly, if be willing to pay more for my BlackBerry at time of purchase to have an extended battery.

I'm glad that Seidio has gone the extra mile to provide these extended batteries for the various BlackBerry device models.

To those that may ask, I do not work for Seidio and they have not asked me to make any special endorsements for them. I'm a customer that's pleased with their products and services. Being so, I like to tell others when I'm pleased with service that I receive.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #190
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
Neither company is perfect, but sober and informed reason needs to rear its head on perceived issues like this without marginalizing others.
You are right. On rereading my post I can see where use of the word "rant" could be read as marginalizing [sic].
I agree with you that everyone should communicate while sober and with informed reason, rather than posting highfalutin generalities in a drunken state.

Was not intending to marginalize anyone's post about the battery door nor intending to label their specific concerns as rants. I was referring to other threads and posts where people rant about something, only to disappear without follow-up. That tells me that they are embarrassed about having made a bonehead error or that they got the answer they wanted and feel no obligation to say thanks or comment on what happened [so to benefit other members].

My point in THIS thread is I'd like to hear about what happened with their battery door latch and/covers since they 1) reported the issue and attributed it to Seidio; 2) we spent so much time on it [including posting of pictures]; and 3) their complaints affected others' decision to order the extended battery and cover or or cancel orders.

Seems only fair to follow-up rather than leave everyone wondering. In a discussion about the extended battery and cover, their follow-up would be helpful.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #191
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
You are right. On rereading my post I can see where use of the word "rant" could be read as marginalizing [sic].
One step forward ... two steps back due to the errant backhanded comment.

Quote:
I agree with you that everyone should communicate while sober and with informed reason, rather than posting highfalutin generalities in a drunken state.

Was not intending to marginalize anyone's post about the battery door nor intending to label their specific concerns as rants. I was referring to other threads and posts where people rant about something, only to disappear without follow-up. That tells me that they are embarrassed about having made a bonehead error or that they got the answer they wanted and feel no obligation to say thanks or comment on what happened [so to benefit other members].
For whatever reason, the internet is the most striking example of the delivery of news, good and bad. When it comes to products such as these, (and SF, you're no stranger to this) examples of negative feedback are always pretty rampant since the subject of customer satisfaction is not an easy one to validate. Why is this? Expressions of frustration; sobriety kicking in after posting a dirisive, negative comment; priority-juggling; competitive agendas, etc. Not everyone has the ability to live on forums. I, for one, would fully welcome Mods and /or Admin doing IP checks to help insure the integrity of posts and expose relationships between vendor and poster, regardless of sponsorship of this forum or not.

Quote:
My point in THIS thread is I'd like to hear about what happened with their battery door latch and/covers since they:
Quote:
1) reported the issue and attributed it to Seidio;
See above.

Quote:
2) we spent so much time on it [including posting of pictures];
Which was of material interest due to expressed concerns of plastic material and tolerance issues. Nothing overblown, just simply presented.

Quote:
3) their complaints affected others' decision to order the extended battery and cover or or cancel orders.
Why would this be of any concern? The market, as a whole, determines a product's fate. This forum, nor this thread has any bearing. Or does it? Let it be.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #192
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbeat
One step forward .....
Way too much commentary in a thread about an extended battery. Take this to the rant section or PM me if you want to track and soap box all my posts.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:06 PM   #193
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Way too much commentary in a thread about an extended battery. Take this to the rant section or PM me if you want to track and soap box all my posts.
No tracking involved. It's not necessary since you established the foundation of my rational, on-topic response. Thanks!

As an aside: Do not PM me if all you can do is go into juvenile attack/threat-mode.

/unsubscribed
Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #194
lxalexxl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

That thing is disgusting..no thanks...no thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #195
i<3mypearl

Carrier: tmo-usa
Default pocketing your extended pearl?

hey,
Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy this battery right now...but when my current one dies, I think I'll have a dilemma.

I really like the slim aesthetics of my pearl right now, but realistically, would probably like the extended life much better.

Do any of you NOT use a holster, and merely pocket your pearl, or what's the difference in feel between holstering and pocketing? I didn't see a large number of comments on pocketing.

thx
Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #196
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3mypearl
hey,
Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy this battery right now...but when my current one dies, I think I'll have a dilemma.

I really like the slim aesthetics of my pearl right now, but realistically, would probably like the extended life much better.

Do any of you NOT use a holster, and merely pocket your pearl, or what's the difference in feel between holstering and pocketing? I didn't see a large number of comments on pocketing.

thx
All I can tell you is what I have said before. The pictures do NOT do justice to depicting just how small the extended battery is compared to the slight increase in size from the OEM standard battery.

I put the Pearl in one of my pockets all the time, usually when wearing a suit or when I can't find a case that I want to use [cat tosses them on the floor, under a desk where I don't have time to find them].

In my suit pockets I cannot put anything bulky or heavy because that would destroy the drape of the front. Nothing looks more white trash than to be wearing a $1500 suit with junk in the pockets, looking like one is toting pork rinds as a form of trail mix to be eaten when navigatiing City streets.

I have also put the phone in my shirt pockets and it has not caused the pocket to droop or lose shape.

And see my post where I noted that one time I huffed and puffed back up Nob Hill because I forgot my phone, but it turned out it was in a jacket pocket.

And as I said, if the extended battery destroyed the Pearl's small form factor I would not use it as my primary battery because one thing I like about the Pearl is its small size.

And I would disregard comments from people who have simply looked at my pics and commented that it is too big, disgusting, etc. One cannot really render an opinion until they buy this battery and try it out.

Get a quarter, make the line in the place I put a mark, set the quarter on the back of your phone and that may give you some idea about the size.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-15-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 PM   #197
Treominator
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Geez, have none of you seen the Extended Battery that the top laptop maker HP provides for several of its models.

You want a humpback, get one of those. Its not easy to have more than twice the power in the same stylish OEM chassis.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:17 AM   #198
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treominator
Geez, have none of you seen the Extended Battery that the top laptop maker HP provides for several of its models.

You want a humpback, get one of those. Its not easy to have more than twice the power in the same stylish OEM chassis.
Well like I said before, you can't comment unless you have seen one of these and held it in your hand. Fact is all of us [those who actually bought this battery] have seen other extended batteries for various devices.

To base your opinion of the Seidio extended battery with how other extended batteries affect form factor is nonsense.

Look at the weight of the extended battery, it's only .9 ounce, not even an ounce. This should tell you something.

Also note that no one who has bought the extended battery has posted in here that they thought the Pearl was now way too big, nor as you describe, a "humpback." The only people who have chimed in like they are some kind of authority are those who have never seen the battery and are simply looking at the pictures posted [which I have repeatedly said cannot accurately depict just how small the battery is].

Sure you are entitled to your opinion, but you ought to reserve comments on form factor until you actually see one of these on the phone and not base opinion on eyeballing a few pics.

To do otherwise is like commenting on how fast a car can go based on looking at the speedometer or a fancy looking airfoil on the trunk lid.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #199
SanFrancisco

Default ,,

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 04-09-2007 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #200
holywarrior74
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Has any one had a problem charging the 2400 battery I just got mine and it won't charge at all

Praise GOD in all his ways
BB 8100 Pearl
Pin 23DE8558
Closed Thread