Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
integra144
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Longer sms Messages?

Please Login to Remove!

on my older sprint curve i could text longer than 160 characters it would break it into multiple text, but on the sprint tour its stuck at 160 anyone know how to change this?

Last edited by integra144; 08-04-2009 at 06:47 PM..
Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Carrier restriction, not changeable by the user. SMS just works that way now. MMS has no such limits.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
integra144

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Carrier restriction, not changeable by the user. SMS just works that way now. MMS has no such limits.
thanks so sms can't be changed anymore like on the curve?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I'm on Sprint and find this to be a minor annoyance also. As Rambo mentioned, as I understand it, it is a carrier restriction.

That said, my wife's Pre breaks up her sms messages, so there is a way to do it since the Pre can get around the issue.

Hopefully someone will come up with an app that might do the same thing on a blackberry...

edit-whoops, just noticed you said your Sprint curve broke them up. My old pearl did not. dunno, confused...

Last edited by 9duc; 08-05-2009 at 11:25 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

There is an app to override this. Check out Beyond160.

Also, the thread title should be longer SMS and not longer MMS.

I have a Curve on Sprint, and it does limit you to 160 characters. It does not break them up.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 08-05-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 08-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
There is an app to override this. Check out Beyond160....
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #7
hrmles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
on my older sprint curve i could text longer than 160 characters it would break it into multiple text, but on the sprint tour its stuck at 160 anyone know how to change this?
When I have an exceptionally long SMS message to send, I just send it as an MMS and then I'm not limited.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Burnall4

Taken from » Ever wonder why SMS is limited to 160 characters?

The real reason why 160 is the limit...

In 1985 Friedhelm Hillebrand a communications researcher and a dozen others had were laying out the plans to standardize a technology that would allow cellphones to transmit and display text messages. Because of tight bandwidth constraints of the wireless networks at the time xxx8212; which were mostly used for car phones xxx8212; each message would have to be as short as possible.

Hillebrand had an argument with a friend about whether 160 characters provided enough space to communicate most thoughts. "My friend said this was impossible for the mass market," Hillebrand said. "I was more optimistic."

As chairman of the nonvoice services committee within the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), a group that sets standards for the majority of the global mobile market, he pushed forward the groupxxx8217;s plans in 1986. All cellular carriers and mobile phones, they decreed, must support the short messaging service (SMS).

Looking for a data pipeline that would fit these micro messages, Hillebrand came up with the idea to harness a secondary radio channel that already existed on mobile networks.

This smaller data lane had been used only to alert a cellphone about reception strength and to supply it with bits of information regarding incoming calls. Voice communication itself had taken place via a separate signal.

"We were looking to a cheap implementation," Hillebrand said on the phone from Bonn. "Most of the time, nothing happens on this control link. So, it was free capacity on the system."

Initially, Hillebrandxxx8217;s team could fit only 128 characters into that space, but that didnxxx8217;t seem like nearly enough. With a little tweaking and a decision to cut down the set of possible letters, numbers and symbols that the system could represent, they squeezed out room for another 32 characters.

Still, his committee wondered, would the 160-character maximum be enough space to prove a useful form of communication? Having zero market research, they based their initial assumptions on two "convincing arguments," Hillebrand said.

For one, they found that postcards often contained fewer than 150 characters.

Second, they analyzed a set of messages sent through Telex, a then-prevalent telegraphy network for business professionals. Despite not having a technical limitation, Hillebrand said, Telex transmissions were usually about the same length as postcards.

Just look at your average e-mail today, he noted. Many can be summed up in the subject line, and the rest often contains just a line or two of text asking for a favor or updating about a particular project.

But length wasnxxx8217;t SMS only limitation. "The input was cumbersome," Hillebrand said. With multiple letters being assigned to each number button on the keypad, finding a single correct letter could take three or four taps. Typing out a sentence or two was a painstaking task.

Later, software such as T9, which predicts words based on the first few letters typed by the user, QWERTY keyboards such as the BlackBerryxxx8217;s and touchscreen keyboards including the iPhonexxx8217;s made the process more palatable.

But even with these inconveniences, text messaging took off. Fast. Hillebrand never imagined how quickly and universally the technology would be adopted. What was originally devised as a portable paging system for craftsmen using their cars as a mobile office is now the preferred form of on-the-go communication for cellphone users of all ages.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
expidia

Thx for posting that. It was a very interesting explanation
Closed Thread