Old 06-13-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
blackcivic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: fido
Default pocket mac and blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone been able to figure out to sync a blackberry with mac using pocket mac?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
blackcivic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: fido

if anyone has trouble synching there blackberry with pocket mac, then i may have found a solution... only one problem... I haven't found a way to sync email from entourage to blackberry...

first, the user account you use MUST HAVE ADMIN PRIVILLAGES....

second, download pocket mac and the UPGRADE DRIVER from the following link below...

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...lYWSXzsIzCEA**

AGAIN, MAKE SURE BEFORE INSTALLING, YOUR USER ACCOUNT HAS ADMIN ACCESS OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK...

after the initial install of pocket mac, don't restart, install the driver update, once complete, then restart.

When you try and do a sync, if you get the following error, and you probably will, "Could not locate the Microsoft Entourage Office Synchronization Tool." do the following..

first sync entourage with ical & address book...then set pocketmac to sync with ical & address book...this will do it by using the mac apps as a bridge between entourage 2008 & your blackberry...kinda retarded, but we are dealing with microsoft.. - taken from Macworld: PocketMac for BlackBerry sync with ...

if you get an error where your pocket mac is unable to connect to your blackberry, then use another usb port.

This has worked for me and i have synch both my contacts to entourage, and iCal...

Next step for me to try and work on is how to get email synchd... i will update accordingly as to what i find.

***NOTE after further testing, once pocket mac has been installed with a user account with admin access, the admin access can be removed from the user account, and pocket mac will still work. Admin access is needed only for the account you would like pocket mac to work on

Last edited by blackcivic; 06-14-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
oneforall

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Problem synching 8300 to Mac

I have not successfully synch'd with Mac(iCalendar, address book, task) & Pocket Mac. When I attempt to synch, using various alternatives in the 'advance setting', certain names and addresses disappear from the address book on Mac. I finally had to set the sync options to overwrite the mac, so that I don't end up losing names and addresses from the Blackberry. And then when it gets to synch'ing he Tasks, the Pocket Mac hangs and never finishes synch'ing.

I am hoping that someone will come up with a resolution.

Oh, and BTW, I even tried synching with Missing Sync but that was not successful either.

On the other hand, if I were to synch my Blackberry to Windows PC, EVERYTHING synchs beautifully.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Geecee

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2
Default Pocketmac Synching

Yes and no - thought I had it sorted but just went to sync, and selected 2 way sync because I had new entries in both my Blackberry and Mac and it has deleted my entire calender from the Mac, also Notes - addressse seem OK, although a few have gone missing from the Blackberry.

Any ideas on how to fix?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
WFLDEng611
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iPhon
PIN: Used to
Carrier: AT&T

There is way too much going on in this thread to try to solve the problem. Who is having problems with what and what apps are you trying to sync to.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
belgrade18

Carrier: T-Mobile

This may sound like a royally stupid question from this newbie, but are you supposed to download PocketMac to your Mac or to your Blackberry? :-Q
Old 08-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
WFLDEng611

To your Mac. PM is the syncing app between your Mac and BB
Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
belgrade18

Okay, I can't even get PocketMac for Blackberry to open- I've installed it twice now. And the link to the UPGRADE DRIVER above doesn't work. When I search the Blackberry website, I can't find any drivers to download for Pocketmac.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #9
WFLDEng611

Try this link.
BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac

Download PM 4.1. Make sure you do a complete uninstall first including a spotlight search for anything that says pocketmac. Repair your permissions and reboot. Then try it again.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
belgrade18

Ok- diligently uninstalled then reinstalled from the link you gave, and I get this message when I try to open the program (and this is what happened before):

"The application PocketMac SyncManager quit unexpectedly.
Mac OS X and other applications are not affected."

What do you mean by "repair your permissions"?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
WFLDEng611

I'm not in front of my mac right now, so this is from memory. I might be a little off, but I should be close.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Open that up and you will see your hard drive, highlight it. Down in the lower left hand corner you will see repair permissions, click that. Your Mac will repair the permissions for your applications database. When it is finished you can either close the app or you can also verify your disk, which is in the same window, lower right side. The verify disk checks your hard dive to see if there are any errors on it. If there are the repair disk will be highlighted, and your Mac will apptempt to repair itself.

I always repair permissions after I install an application. Permissions are very important to the Unix operating system.

Last edited by WFLDEng611; 08-17-2008 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: I'm in front of my Mac now
Old 08-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #12
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I am having issues right now with PocketMac right now too.

I now remember why it is I used BES. Mac's just don't like Blackberries.

My pocketmac issue is that nothing will fully sync, it will hang during the syncing process.

I am attempting to hunt down drivers, I downloaded and installed the 4.1 version, so I don't know what the problem is totally.

If anything I have done, solves my issues. Will pass it along.

Otherwise, I have to look into spending more money on BES, which is not my favorite choice right now. Ha.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
KAMMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv View Post
I am having issues right now with PocketMac right now too.

I now remember why it is I used BES. Mac's just don't like Blackberries.

My pocketmac issue is that nothing will fully sync, it will hang during the syncing process.

I am attempting to hunt down drivers, I downloaded and installed the 4.1 version, so I don't know what the problem is totally.

If anything I have done, solves my issues. Will pass it along.

Otherwise, I have to look into spending more money on BES, which is not my favorite choice right now. Ha.

OK I THINK YOU & I ARE ON THE SAME PAGE.

IM KOMING 2 THE CONCLUSION THAT MACS & BLACKBERRYS JUST DON'T GET ALONG. BECAUSE I'VE TRIED MOST ALL OF THE STUFF LISTED ABOVE & MY MAIN ISSUE IS THAT SYNC JUST HANGS UP. I DISCOVERED THAT IT IS ACTUALLY DOING SOME SYNCING BECAUSE I SAW STUFF ON MY MAC THAT I TOOK ON MY BLACKBERRY I.E. PICTURES, VOICE NOTES, ETC.

BUT IT NEVER SAYS IT'S COMPLETE & I'VE LET IT RUN FOR VARIOUS AMOUNTS OF TIME.

SO MY QUESTION IS, DO I HAVE TO USE POCKETMAC? IS THIS THE ONLY WAY I CAN DOWNLOAD THEMES? UPGRADE MY OS? ETC. BECAUSE I NEEED DOCS TO GO & HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET IT BECAUSE I NEED TO UPGRADE MY OS & I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE OUT HOW 2 DO THAT EITHER LOL

HELP!!

THANKS!!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
oneforall

Carrier: ATT

I am hoping BlackBerry will come out with a solution. I had and am having most of the problems described herein.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Brad4d

Model: 8310
PIN: This is BB Fourms Not eHarmony.
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Same, pocketmac i useless to me.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
KAMMs

it's sort of a relief to know i'm not the only one. cuz i was definitely wondering if i was doing something wrong.

This just might be a deal breaker 4 me! :(
Old 08-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
belgrade18

I appreciate all the help people have tried to give, but PocketMac just won't work on my MacBook (running on Leopard). It's really getting to be a timesuck too- first uninstall, then download it again (4 times now), install, verify permissions, repair permissions, restart. The only thing that has changed when I attempt to open PocketMac is that it now takes about ten seconds for it to "close unexpectedly" instead of five.

Fortunately I have a desktop PC which I'm going to use with my Blackberry...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
easelpad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: att

I've got BOTH a mac and a blackberry and I use PocketMac to sync my Curve to my Mac all the time. PocketMac version 1.0.9, Mac running OSX 10.4 (Tiger) and Curve running 4.5.0.52. (yes I know Leopard is out and awesome but I have specific reasons for not moving to it yet.)

I should note I do a one-way sync and only from my iCal to my blackberry. This is for personal preference reasons and not because I've discovered anything is non-functional.

The one problem I DO have and the big bone I have to pick with my Blackberry/Mac setup is the teathering capability between the mac and the curve is pathetic. But that's another topic....

I suggest that if you are having a problem with pocketmac, blackberry and the mac you include specific info on the versions of your mac OS, blackberry OS and pocketmac - as this is probably the only way someone is going to be able to help.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
mrmajor

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Bell

I'm in the "pocketmac hangs" camp. I'm running Leopard with an hand-me-down 7130e and no bes. The BB itself works great, email is correctly configured and functions well, so I'm relatively happy. BUT....

The pocketmac app seems to hang part way through sync. If I force quit & consult the logs afterward, it was definitely syncing some stuff, but most of the log is full of entries being "downgraded", one after the other - whether they're tasks, contacts or even email messages. The log file certainly doesn't provide any useful information.

Most of my contacts are in my BB now, although some of the field mapping is awkward. I have nothing at all in the task list or the calendar.

I've followed most of the applicable steps discussed in this thread. I'm very tired and very disappointed with the syncing function, but I don't know who to blame, Pocketmac, RIM, or myself for having foolishly believed that somehow I could get this to work with my macbook pro... :(
Old 08-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #20
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Folks, I am about to fully utilize my Mac and Entourage 08. And I want the free PocketMac to work. What I want to do is this:

1. Sync my BB and Entourage 08, of course
2. Overwrite my Entourage 08 calendar with what's on the BB

Once I install PMac, I will just have to configure the sync services, right? And that's it? What else do I need to watch out for? I have OS 4.5 on my BB. Would there be a potential issue with duplicate calendar entries? I have already rebuilt (and backed up) my Entourage database as well, if that matters.