BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 05-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Default REVIEW: Naztech Boa Leather Case

Please Login to Remove!

Product: Naztech Boa Leather Case - These are for the 7500 series. The 8700 series will be available soon, and I will post a review of that model when I receive them.
Price: $39.95 USD
URL: http://www.naztech.com/index.php

Review:
These cases are shipped in nice display boxes with descriptions and images of them on the outside.

Click images to enlarge:

They come complete with the case, a detachable front flap, and a bonus matching magnetic money clip keychain. The front flap is attached with small, sturdy snaps, and it works very well. The front of the flap piece is magnetized, as is the front of the case itself, creating a very strong hold when closed together, so strong that it is very similar to a snap enclosure without the snap - very nice. The cases do have a sleeper magnet which works regardless of which way you insert the device, facing in or out.

The belt clip is fixed and ratcheting, providing a very low profile wear on your belt. It is very string as well - it will not slip off at all. In fact, I have to sometimes grab my belt and push down with one hand and pull the case up with the other to get it off - very secure. The belt clip stops at 45 degree increments, all the way around, providing a vast array of carry positions. (Since I do not have a 7500 series for which these cases are designed, I left the foam insert in the case in some of the photos.)

Rating: I give these cases 5 out of 5 Berries.

Conclusion: These cases are very well made, using the best materials. They look sleek and classy, and are still very functional. The low profile ratcheting belt clip is very nice and holds perfectly. And having the option to carry either a pouch style or a magnetic flap style case from the same piece of gear is unmatched by anyone. This is the type of case that is just impossible to criticize, they are that good. When the 8700 series is available it I will surely use one for my daily carry, particularly when I need to look nice, like at work or in hearings or court. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Very stylish, exceptional materials, unique removeable front flap design, included accessory (money clip/key ring), perfect low profile belt clip.

Cons: No 8700 available yet, but coming soon. Leather may wear off of belt clip over time.

Last edited by Seattle18; 05-01-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 06-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Is there any news yet on 8700-compatible cases from Naztech? Emailed them over a week ago and never received any kind of response.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Seattle18

I emailed them recently again too, with no response. I will send another one today.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Well, Seattle18 ... appreciate the effort, but clearly, customer service/support is not their strength since they cannot even communicate. That's a real disappointment since I think their cases are some of the best designs available. I'll just stay on the lookout for another source.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

I'm a wee bit preturbed by Naztech.. they just released a Boa for the MotoQ.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

This looks pretty nice. A month later, has anyone heard about the 8700 version's availability or whether it has a magnet that can activate the sleeper function?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #7
schalliol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

I just got a Naztech Boa for my 8700, and it fits very nicely. It doesn't have the sleeper magnet in it, but I did buy some of the tiny magnets you could use as described by attaching them to the case. I found that I didn't like the shinyness of the case as much as I thought. I'd be happy to sell it to anyone for $25 OBO. It's brand new and I have all the packing material for it. I'll also supply the two rare earth magnets, but I think that it's actually activating the sleeper function when I insert the 8700 into the case.

Last edited by schalliol; 07-19-2006 at 06:02 AM..
Old 07-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

WTF!
5 berries?????
that thing is god awfully ugly! and environmentally-unfriendly if some Jack Off
is killing off snakes just to make cellphone holsters.

Sorry but why is everything that is reviewed here gets 5 berries?
Shouldn't there be some sliding scale of quality based on other like-products...
or is every thing just darn perfect in the berry world?

Last edited by delmarco; 07-21-2006 at 12:35 AM..
Old 07-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #9
Seattle18

Thanks for your comments delmarco, you've been very helpful.

Firstly, not everything receives 5 berries - read through all the reviews and you will see this. Second, as each reviewer uses their own criteria, let me explain mine. If a case fits properly, has components which all work properly, has a belt clip system which works properly and maintains a relatively low profile, is available in more than one color or style, is stylish and is affordable, it will receive high marks. Keep in mind that ALL reviews are the OPINION of the reviewer, and nothing more. In MY opinion, these cases are stylish, have sleeper magnets, function properly, fit perfectly, have exceptional ratcheting belt clips, are affordable and are available in more than a single color, so they basically are everything one would expect in a quality case, and therefore receive the highest marks.

Tell me what it is that you think makes it unworthy of 5 berries. And do NOT base that decision on your personal opinion about the style of the case, for if you do you will be assuming everyone has the same personal style as you, which you know isn't possible. So, aside from your personal style preference, tell me the negatives of this case please.

Lastly, it is LEATHER with a snakeskin LOOK, stated clearly in the title of the review - Boa LEATHER Case.

(FWIW, I do not use these personally, but just because I personally do not like the look of them for my daily use, it does not mean others think the same way. Is my point sinking in yet?)
Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 AM   #10
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
Thanks for your comments delmarco, you've been very helpful.

Lastly, it is LEATHER with a snakeskin LOOK, stated clearly in the title of the review - Boa LEATHER Case.

(FWIW, I do not use these personally, but just because I personally do not like the look of them for my daily use, it does not mean others think the same way. Is my point sinking in yet?)
Sorry, if I sounded harsh, It just seemed that my search for a good case here was confusing since alot of accessories seem to all get 5 berries with the exception of the one or two obviously flawed cases that get 3-4 berries.

With the Boa case, it may have the function but IMO it lacks the style. For example when they review Cars, Cellphones, MP3 players or even Vaccuum Cleaners most reviewers usually give or take points for style based on the mainstream consensus of what is "cool".

But if you don't look at how the item actually looks on someone wearing it even if fake leather snakeskin went out of fashion since the days of Jeri Curls then I understand.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Seattle18

On style alone, my personal opinion would probably be around a 2 or 3 berry rating, as the snakeskin look isn't my thing either. But I try to review them with the idea that there are some people out there who love this look. Therefore, I review mostly on functionality and let other members use their personal judgment on the style aspect. That's why I post thumbnail images that enlarge when you click them - to try to give the reader the best possible look at the case so they can render their own opinion about the look of it.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #12
TJHAA

Model: 8800
Carrier: att
Default STILL fs ?

PLZ E MAIL ME IF STILL fs [email address]

Quote:
Originally Posted by schalliol
I just got a Naztech Boa for my 8700, and it fits very nicely. It doesn't have the sleeper magnet in it, but I did buy some of the tiny magnets you could use as described by attaching them to the case. I found that I didn't like the shinyness of the case as much as I thought. I'd be happy to sell it to anyone for $25 OBO. It's brand new and I have all the packing material for it. I'll also supply the two rare earth magnets, but I think that it's actually activating the sleeper function when I insert the 8700 into the case.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
TJHAA

Model: 8800
Carrier: att

if NOT sold PLZ REPLY TO [email address] THANK YOU