Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
tmaynard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default poor battery life on 7130e

Please Login to Remove!

hey, i got a new 7130e on the Bell network on sunday, and im experiencing awful battery life

with normal use (a couple phone calls and emails a day), i am getting about 8 hours of battery life before the battery is fully drained

this is nowhere near the claimed 8 days of standby or 3 hours of talk time

has anyone else had similar experiences, or know what might be wrong with my unit?

thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Wink

I'm afraid what your seeing is normal for the 7130e. Many people have been very happy using an extended battery with that unit.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
tmaynard

but only 8 hours of battery?
i have it holstered basically 95% of this time
it only comes out to make a couple short calls, or answer a couple emails
this seems pretty pathetic
Old 04-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Have you checked Mark Rejhons battery saving tips. It has great battery saving ideas. I utilized some of them with my new 8700c (which uses the battery quickly) and got almost double my battery life.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (7130e VZW: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I forgot who it was but I read a post a couple of weeks ago that said the user gets three days of battery life on his 7130e. That's awesome battery life. I always have to charge mine at night. Now I'm not a light BB user, but I'm not making a ton of phone calls. I do get about 20 e-mails a day on it.

As for the extended battery, one exists that would work with the 7130e, but it requires a different battery door which, to my knowledge, isn't available for the 7130e, yet. So I'm not sure how many people use the extended battery yet.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
tmaynard

i have checked the savings tips, and am basically following them to a T
(low brightness, holstered all the time, backlight stays on for 20 seconds, etc.)

given that my unit is still new im going to try to drain and fully charge the battery a couple times

i also have taken out the battery and held down the power button for 30 seconds to do a hard reset

i will post an update if things change in the next couple days
Old 04-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
gadgtman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaynard
hey, i got a new 7130e on the Bell network on sunday, and im experiencing awful battery life

with normal use (a couple phone calls and emails a day), i am getting about 8 hours of battery life before the battery is fully drained

this is nowhere near the claimed 8 days of standby or 3 hours of talk time

has anyone else had similar experiences, or know what might be wrong with my unit?

thanks in advance
This may seem all too obvious, but I'll ask anyway. What kind of reception (signal strength) do you typically get? I get very poor signal strength at my house (one to two bars, frequently no service), and that drains my 7130e extremely fast. On the other hand, if I'm in good signal range, I can make anywhere from 2-3 hours worth of calls, or get at least two days of standby.

Sorry to be so basic, but I had to ask.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
tmaynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtman
This may seem all too obvious, but I'll ask anyway. What kind of reception (signal strength) do you typically get? I get very poor signal strength at my house (one to two bars, frequently no service), and that drains my 7130e extremely fast. On the other hand, if I'm in good signal range, I can make anywhere from 2-3 hours worth of calls, or get at least two days of standby.

Sorry to be so basic, but I had to ask.

i have pretty excellent service, its rare that i am ever at or below 2 bars, 3 to 5 seems pretty standard
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #9
mistermix
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

While we're on the obvious - are you running the latest Bell firmware? My battery life improved noticeably when I upgraded to the latest Verizon firmware.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
tmaynard

i am on 4.1.208 i believe, it is the newest bell firmware

the one thing that ive been reading about is EVDO

i almost never have that and IX show up at the same time, despite having a great signal

could the fact that my phone is always looking for EVDO result in poor battery?

since i dont really use the EVDO network, i am switching to 1X only for today and see what happens

i think the EVDO problem is simply because im in a fringe area, because it is not often that i fall to 2 or less bars
Old 04-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
elmaldonado
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaynard
but only 8 hours of battery?
i have it holstered basically 95% of this time
it only comes out to make a couple short calls, or answer a couple emails
this seems pretty pathetic
Tmay, do you have any other applications running? I used to use Vettro for Salesforce.com on my 7130e and it was constantly working and that would cause the battery to go down big time. When I uninstalled Vettro I saw a dramatic change. I think Vettro was constantly getting data from SF.com and that caused the issue.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #12
tmaynard

not that i know of, i installed google talk, but am not logged in when im not using it
i use the internet browser from time to time, but i close it when i am done
other than that, there are no new programs i have added, or ones that i use that could explain this short life
Old 04-06-2006, 01:03 PM   #13
eppey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

I have a 7130e on Bell as well. I can't say that I get 3 days battery life but can probably pull out 1.5 days if I really stretched it. I use about 1800 to 1900 minutes a month on the phone and probably receive 50 pieces of mail a day with a reply on the BB to maybe 10. I have my screen brightness turned to 60% and timeout to 45 seconds. My BB is in the holster the rest of the time that I am not on the phone. I would also say that half my phone minutes are spent on a BT headset which should use more battery life than without. The only third party app that I have running is Message Alerts. So, after all that, it may be worth while trying out a different battery if you can to see if it's the battery itself or the phone that is causing the problem.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #14
aristobrat
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW

7130e on Verizon. I get between 30-50 emails a day, do about 10-20 minutes of web browsing, and 10-20 minutes of calls and usually end the day with full battery bars, ... sometimes 4/5 battery bars. 95% of the time I'm on 1XEV with 2+ bars of coverage.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #15
nyc2socal
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I did the draining stuff for the first 3-5 times, and only noticed a slight increase in battery life. Before upgrading to the latest vzw firmware, I was getting 1.5-2 days. After the firmware, I get 2.5-3 days. I get roughly 50 emails a day, compose maybe 5 emails, 3 ongoing chats via webmessenger, and maybe 5-10 minutes browsing.. Talk time has been light, maybe 15 minutes a day. The lowest I go is 3 bars, and I'm in solid EvDO.

I took my phone off the charger yesterday at 6AM (~31 hours ago) and I'm down to 65% battery. From experience, tomorrow morning, it should be down to 45, and ready for a charge at night (usually @ 15%).
Old 04-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin
As for the extended battery, one exists that would work with the 7130e, but it requires a different battery door which, to my knowledge, isn't available for the 7130e, yet. So I'm not sure how many people use the extended battery yet.
We have the batteries and doors available here in Canada and I have shipped many units to American Verizon customers as well.

PIN me if you are interested in hardware/shipping options: 300B6852
Old 04-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #17
Blackcrack
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

i had a 7100i and the battery was great
Old 04-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
tmaynard

so today i disabled EVDO, so i am only operating on 1X and it seems to be doing the trick

i have been hovering around 90% charge for the better part of the day
i assume that i was losing life because EVDO is not fully in my area yet, so it was searching for service alot

my increase in battery life may also just be a result of starting the charge/fully drain of the battery for a couple times

however the former is more likely than the latter

anyone else in the waterloo region having similar problems
Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #19
NEWSNEAKERHEAD

I am also on Bell. I just warranty'd a battery. I was getting 3 days of standby on mine. Just lately the battery life seemed to drop exponentially. I got to the point I would charge it all night 10 hours, then turn it on in the morning send 2 text messages and the orange low battery light was on already. Swapped up the battery on warranty. Just gave it a full charge last night. Had it running today no calls and only couple small text messages and the orange light is back on again. I think it's the handset now. Gonna try and drain the battery fully till it won't turn on anymore. Then see what happens. I must say when you've been used to 3 days on standby this really is brutal. Plus the unit's only 3 months old.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
tmaynard

try what imentioned in my previous post
go to options, then network
and change your connection from automatic to 1X only
there was no EVDO in my area, so my battery was exhausted from searching from the network
now that i have changed things, i am getting much more realistic battery life
Closed Thread