Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Outlier

Model: 9330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Calendar items don't sync properly in Blackberry Desktop Software

Please Login to Remove!

I'm using Blackberry Desktop Software 6. I sync calendar items with Outlook. On two occasions so far, the software thought that certain calendar items were deleted on the blackberry and so wanted to delete the same calendar items on Outlook. When I looked on the Blackberry calendar, the calendar items were still there. So if I had approved the sync, it would have deleted my calendar items in Outlook. What I ended up doing is deleting each calendar item in Outlook, then re-inserting them, and that seemed to work (the software did not ask to delete any items after that). But it happened again, and the Blackberry Desktop Software asked me if it could delete over 20 calendar items in Outlook (because it apparently thought that these items were not present in the Blackberry, but they were).

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how this can be fixed?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Calendar items don't sync properly in Blackberry Desktop Software

When you checked an found the calendar entries on the device that DM wanted to delete in Outlook, did you possibly have those items in another calendar and not the default calendar?

Here's the deal if you don't know. If you have more than one email address setup om the device then you have more than one calendar, one for each email address, and DM only sync's the one that is set as the default CICAL in default services options.

So, that's what I wonder, if somehow those calendar entries were moved into another calendar and thus DM saw them as deleted.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Outlier

Yes, it's very possible that the calendar items were in a different calendar since I have 2 email addresses set up on the Blackberry. In the Blackberry calendar I see 3 different colors for calendar items (one for each email address and one for "Default").

Here is the thing: All of my calendar items so far were entered via Outlook (not through Blackberry). When I entered the calendar items, I don't remember ever setting which email address (ie/ calendar) to associate the item with. They seem to have been assigned by themselves. How would I control which email address (ie/ calendar) the calendar item is associated with? And how would I change existing calendar items on the Blackberry to be associated with the "Default" calendar so that it gets synced?
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You set the default device calendar in options > advanced options > default services. Set the default CMIME and CICAL to the same email address.

I'm not sure on what else might be an explanation.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Outlier

I have 2 email addresses entered for my Blackberry (one of them is set as the default CMIME and CICAL using your instructions above). However in the calendar there are 3 "calendars" with three different color codes. 2 of the colors correspond to my 2 email addresses but the 3rd color is actually called the word "Default". The calendar items that are assigned to "Default" are the calendar items that get transferred to the BB after I add them from Outlook. When I try to go the other way around and create a new calendar item in the BB first, it doesn't get transferred to Outlook. And the reason appears to be because there is no option to assign that item to the "Default" category. The only two choices to associate the calendar item with are my 2 email addresses. The "Default" option does not appear in Options -> Advanced Options -> Default services (only my 2 email addresses appear there).

So again, calendar items that I add in Outlook first have no problem syncing to the BB (the items have the word "Default" as the calendar category). But when adding the calendar items to the BB first, they do not get synced to Outlook (because they are assigned to one of my two email addresses as the calendar category - the "Default" category does not appear when adding items). Does anyone know how this can be corrected? Specifically, is there a way to enter a calendar item in BB and assign it to the "Default" category rather than an email address? Does anyone else see this "Default" calendar category in their BB's?

Last edited by Outlier; 12-01-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Outlier

I just want to update the thread and mention that the problem has been resolved and the "Default" calendar category is no longer there (just 2 calendars now and they both correspond to my 2 email addresses). All calendar items are now associated with my primary email address, as it should be and sync is working both ways.

I'm not sure what exactly corrected it but here are the things that I did:

1) In BB calendar: Went to Options, then typed the word "MOVE" (without quotes) and moved all items into my primary email account. Note, doing this re-categorized all calendar items into my email account but did not remove the "Default" calendar and did not solve the one way syncing problem.
2) In Blackberry Desktop Software: Device -> Delete Data (I deleted calendar data only)
3) Disconnected the BB from computer, removed battery, placed it back in, re-connected it to computer.
4) In Blackberry Desktop Software: Organizer -> Reset Settings
5) Synchronized again - calendar items were transferred to BB this time with my primary email address as the calendar and no problem syncing both ways.

Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Glad you got it corrected. I was getting ready to go search and refresh my memory. I should have mentioned the Move function, but I just plain forgot about it.

I'm not sure myself exactly at what point and how/why the Default calendar was removed in your procedure. I know I don't have it.

But good job!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #8
Outlier

I want to further add that I exchanged my Curve 9330 to a Bold 9650. When setting up the new BB, none of the above problems occurred. I did not have to do anything that I did the first time. It was a very smooth set-up.

I synced before setting up any email accounts. The calendar name for all the calendar items was "Default". After setting up 3 email addresses, calendar items were re-assigned to my first email address and that "Default" calendar disappeared. On the first sync after setting up my email addresses, Blackberry Desktop Software gave an alert that my default calendar had changed and gave me an option to keep it or go with new calendar. I chose to go with new calendar (my email address). I did not receive such an alert with my first BB set-up. I don't know why that happened. I'm just happy to get this behind me and again, I hope anyone can benefit from this thread.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Thanks for the follow up.

I think with my first new blackberry I backed up the old one and restore to the new one. Since then I've used the switch device wizard for new ones.

I saw the alert about the default services for the first time with my 9700. For some reason Outlook or desktop manager wanted it to be the default email address in Outlook, or at least that's what it seemed to me. I had been using my tmo.blackberry.net address for default CICAL and CMIME.

Anyway, congrats on the new BlackBerry!
Closed Thread