Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
katrinadavid

Model: 8900C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default My first blackberry, please help, whatsapp/wi fi settings

Please Login to Remove!

hi
i live in uk, use a blackberry, unlocked, with 02 simplicity sim.

i just want to use whatsapp at home using my home wi fi.
im pretty sure my 02 sim deal has no data plan.
but when i went outdoors today, whatsapp was working,
i suspect i will be charged data usage for this.

how can i turn this off?

i dont understand the settings in blackberry.

i only want to use internet on phone when in my home, using my home
wi fi, and same with whatsapp.

mobile network settings, data settings, roaming, connection preference, etc.

can someone please help?
thankyou
Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: My first blackberry, please help, whatsapp/wi fi settings

BlackBerrys do not have a setting to turn off only mobile network data. You can turn off data, but you will turn off all data, which means wifi as well as mobile network.

The only way to guarantee with certainty that all data is over wifi, you will have to turn off mobile network when using data apps. Be aware this will turn off voice unless you have UMA.

You will also want to make sure all your aftermarket apps are really closed and not running in the background when you are away from wifi and the mobile network is on.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
katrinadavid

thankyou
i still dont fully understand.
oh i see, all i can do is turn off data services each time i leave my house?
yes ive noticed that when data is turned off, im not even sure the phone is working calls and text wise....

how do you turn off mobile network?

when im using wi fi, the wi fi name is on the front of blackberry.

what should be my setting for "connection preference"? does this mean for internet connection?

i dont know what after markt apps means.
i dont understand the blackberry phone much at all.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You enable and disable mobile network using manage connections (or it may have a different but similar name on your BlackBerry). It's the same place you enable and disable wifi and bluetooth, probably.

In the mobile network settings screen in options you have a settings to disable data, disable data when roaming, and so forth. On this screen, if you disable data, you turn off data on both mobile network and wifi.

You need to decide what you need to do. The above and what I posted earlier should be the information you need to decide your best approach, or at least help. I don't know anything about O2 or the app you are speaking of.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
katrinadavid

turning off data, means i cant make or recieve calls and texts?

so lets try this, data ON, roaming OFF,
connection preference? i dont know what this means,
connection for internet? or phone calls?

i just want the phone to connect to wi fi when im in home, automatically.
when im on street internet shouldnt work, as i only want home wi fi connection allowed, is this not possible?

"you will have to turn off mobile network " how? data off? when i do this, internet does NOT work.

why is the phone using interent data when im on streets? i dont want to do this.
as im not paying for it. my phone plan is just calls and texts, no data usage.

thankyou
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinadavid View Post
turning off data, means i cant make or recieve calls and texts?
I have had an after thought, which is below. But to answer the questions....

Turning off data in network options turns off all data, but not voice (and not text, either).

Quote:
so lets try this, data ON, roaming OFF,
connection preference? i dont know what this means,
connection for internet? or phone calls?
Setting network options to turn data off when roaming leaves data on so long as you are connected to the O2 network. When and if you are on another mobile carrier's mobile network, the device will turn data off.

Quote:
i just want the phone to connect to wi fi when im in home, automatically.
If you leave wifi turned on, the BlackBerry will automatically connect to a saved wifi profile, according to the priority you have set. And the BlackBerry should use wifi instead of the mobile network, but it might use the mobile network for some data. (But see below.)

Quote:
when im on street internet shouldnt work, as i only want home wi fi connection allowed, is this not possible?
Frankly, BlackBerrys are not really designed for use the way you want to use it. A BlackBerry is really intended to be used with the BlackBerry network and BlackBerry data services.

Quote:
"you will have to turn off mobile network " how? data off? when i do this, internet does NOT work.
To repeat, on the applications screen you have an icon that is labled Manage Connections, or similar. It may look like a radio tower. When you click this you should see check boxes for mobile network (which isnthe cellular phone network), wifi, and bluetooth. If you do not see it exactly this way, you should see something similar.

Quote:
why is the phone using interent data when im on streets? i dont want to do this.
as im not paying for it. my phone plan is just calls and texts, no data usage.

thankyou
OK, here is the new information. I have thought of something I should have mentioned before, but I'm not 100% sure about it as I do not use a BlackBerry the way you are trying. But take a look at this: Open options using the options (or maybe settings) icon on the applications screen. Then click Advanced Options, then TCP/IP. If you have APN information entered, write down what you see, then delete it, and save the settings.

I think that if you do this you will still be able to use wifi (assuming you have been able to use it all along without a BlackBerry data plan*), but you will not use carrier data because the BlackBerry does not have the APN setting for the connection. That is what I believe. Maybe someone else will confirm. If I am right, you will not need to turn off mobile network. In other words, you do not have a BlackBerry data plan, so you do not have access to BlackBerry data, and you cannot use carrier data if the carrier's APN settings are empty. So I think that will do what you want.

* I say you should be able to use wifi assuming you have already been doing so for this reason. Some carrier's require a BlackBerry data plan in order to use wifi. But not all carrier's. So, if you have been connecting to and using wifi and you do not have a BlackBerry data plan, then I am assuming your carrier does not require it in order to use wifi with third-party apps.

Last edited by aiharkness; 08-11-2011 at 04:54 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Boneswig

Model: 8900
Carrier: mtn

Read thru the last msg, and can add some information on the APN settings.
When I originally got my bb, I was chatting on mig33 and mxit (still do), but they use web access and didn't want to connect via BIS.
My APN had no information in it, and to get my other programs to work, I had to just
Add a tick in the checkbox. There is still nothing written in my APN area except my tick.

I must add that I originally had the idea that a bb cannot work without BIS, so am still confused
As to how the original post was able to connect
Without BIS or BES. According to posts I read, BES would have been the answer to the problem, but BIS is part of the BES package,
So that would have given the same problems......
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread