Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T 4G Trouble in Los Angeles

Please Login to Remove!

I have been dealing with AT&T over the 4G issue for over a month now. I have received so many credits I am rolling a credit balance into next months phone bill (so at least they back the fact you aren't running a successful smartphone when you pay for unlimited data.) Thankfully, there are 2 users here with BB Torches and we both have trouble with the internet (not text messaging, phone or BBM - just the internet.) I say thankfully because they try to blame the device or RIM - and it's neither - it's the network. It goes down about 40% of the time... it's so frustrating. I called AT&T again today and they know there is "degrading" of towers in our area and they are working on it. I have been told they are "getting ready" for 4G - which means they aren't currently running 4G well in this area. But the BB should roll from 4G to 3G as opposed to selecting 2G (under network connections) but that doesn't happen.... you either run EDGE (by selecting 2G) or you run 4G (which is selecting 3G/H+ & 2G.) When 4G works it's totally stellar, fast and fantastic - if it doesn't you hang, and hang, and hang. That is this "area," as I am sure this problem is area specific.

If you start hanging on the internet, a lot of times the BB has dropped the registration (you can see this from going to Options/Network and Connections/Mobile Network - hit Menu and Diagnostic Test- then hit Menu and Run. It will fail at Blackberry registration. In which case you need to go to Options/Device/Advanced System Settings/Host Routing Table - hit Menu and Register Now... then wait for the email to show... this will get you back on the network but it will still be "sluggish." Sometimes I don't fail Blackberry registration but fail at, "Connected to Blackberry: Abort" and "Blackberry PIN-PIN: Abort" in which case you just have to put the BB down and wait until it comes out of it and can pick up the network again...

I just wanted to pass along that if you are having trouble in Los Angeles with your 4G Torch you are not alone....

Sandy
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: AT&T 4G Trouble in Los Angeles

For what it's worth, no BlackBerry devices currently operate on true 4G networks.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
The Sand

I really don't get too much into the speed part... but this BB FLIES when it runs. Now when I run my other 3G smartphone it seems really slow to me...

Fo us it can depend on location in the city... I was at the doctors office the other day and the tower was out front and I wanted to move there - it was unreal speed!

Yesterday we had no internet on both BB's all day until 5pm. AT&T is going to call me tomorrow for a follow up to see how we are doing - Obviously not real well yesterday...

Sandy
Old 12-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
The Sand

I spent another 2 hours on the phone with AT&T again today... as of today they show this problem as a "Trend" for all 4g (3G+ - or I think she referred to it as 4 plus or something) capable devices. Thus it's not device specific. They have a network ticket and are addressing it. They are calling me back Friday to see how it's going.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
The Sand

I haven't called in awhile, but during the week between 11am and 5pm the browser doesn't work unless you roll EDGE on every day but the weekend (I am guessing less traffic on the weekend) They are blaming a tower that is degraded on Beverly and La Cienega (basically the Beverly Center.) Not a good intersection to have any kind of degraded tower.

I have to call them again - but have been too busy - just wanted to post there is absolutely nothing better here. My 3G AT&T smartphone runs fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
The Sand

I received a text message today saying the tower has been fixed and "enhanced." Hopefully that will end this. Even if it does - it should not have taken months for AT&T to address this.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
The Sand

I am still struggling Marjorly with both 9810's browser hanging when at home using 3G plus (which isn't LTE as BB's aren't capable of that.) It's the new 3G plus. I had a Bold 9000 which was your basic 3G in this exact same location and it ran stellar each and every day - all day/night. My WP7 and Nokia N900 which are also your basic 3G continue to run consistently with no trouble. Our 9810's, which have a different 4G plan (you have to change plans after purchasing the 9810) they only roll EDGE 60% of the time (you have to manually set them to EDGE)... or I just watch my browser hang and hang and hang until it says, "The server is busy please try again later or call your ISP."

I have a conference call with RIM and AT&T tomorrow. If this is not resolved I am buying out the contract and walking away from the Torch. I have spent countless HOURS talking to AT&T and I just get nowhere. I shouldn't be rolling EDGE on a 9810 - that is ridiculous. We continually fail at "Blackberry registration" during peek hours (thus we have no browser Monday through Friday between 9 to 5.) At&T says it's not them... really. Really??? That's why I want RIM on the line. But in the end it doesn't matter - the BB's don't run and after tomorrow I am finished with this. I believe this is network failure with the new 3g plus at my location (another STUNNER as I am located by Wilshire boulevard with massive high rises I can see and throw rocks at - I don't live in the sticks.) Buying myself out of the contract is expensive - but less so than buying a new smartphone cash. One thing is for sure... I am not rolling EDGE in my home for the next 2 years. No way.

It will be interesting to hear with RIM has to say tomorrow... I will post back.

Sandy
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Sounds to me like a tower problem. I was in an AT&T "white hole" for several months at my house until they figured out that it was a tower about a mile away that I was hitting. Once they got that fixed, it has been working OK on my 9810 and indicating H+ most of th time.

Similar issue with Verizon until we got LTE. Now they work great.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Sounds to me like a tower problem. I was in an AT&T "white hole" for several months at my house until they figured out that it was a tower about a mile away that I was hitting. Once they got that fixed, it has been working OK on my 9810 and indicating H+ most of th time.

Similar issue with Verizon until we got LTE. Now they work great.
Thanks for sharing that you did get your issue resolved. If patience and persistence could bring about an answer surely I would have one by now since I have been at this since September of last year. That's why I want RIM on the line - then RIM can tell them it's the network not the device.

Thanks for taking the time to pass along the info!

Sandy
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
The Sand

They decided to open a network ticket (why this wasn't done months ago I have no idea.) An engineer will look into it and call me Friday. It could be there are not enough 3g plus towers in this area. But he said the BB should try the 3g plus and if that doesn't work roll back to 3g (which I know works as my other smartphone is 3g and runs fine.) That doesn't appear to be happening for both BB's. I have to change the setting to 2g to run. So it's either the network or the BB software isn't rolling back correctly.

I will post what the engineer finds - at least I spoke to someone that wasn't an idiot today.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
The Sand

February 16, 2012 - they just opened my 3rd network ticket. I have finally been escalated to a manager (I have never actually spoken to one), I was just told one will oversee my case. I don't know though... I don't think actaul managers exist at AT&T.

The problem has gotten much worse - I think as more H+ devices are sold and used, the more degrading of network in this area.

I have no idea if I will ever get this resolved. AT&T is their own problem - they are their own undoing.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

I hate to tell you this but all carriers are having issues with overload. Some areas are better than others but until the carriers convert a lot of infrastructure to the upgraded transport this will continue in some areas. As for the speed to upgrade or repair, any business will do an extensive investigation to avoid these issues. I don’t know what type of business your in or work for but ATT, Tmobile, Verizon and other spend billions to do upgrades. When you get the number of problems you seem to have it's always best to ask for a manager and avoid the script responses.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
The Sand

You can't get a manager with AT&T. They are "Unavailable" so you wait - after 45 minutes to an hour on hold the rep takes your name and number so a manager will call you back. They never do. I have done this repeatedly - I got nowhere.

I understand about the overloading of the network(s), and am willing to work with AT&T.. but I should not have to roll EDGE on a new smartphone. I can roll AT&T 3G on older devices in this home no problem - it has to do with the H+ on the 9810. It fails and won't roll back to 3G - you have to manually switch the BB to EDGE. I didn't sign a new 2 year contract and blow an upgrade so I can run EDGE. They have had close to 6 months and still have not solved this for me or the other user (also 9810, separate phone number - separate bill.) I have accumulated enough info (failed diagnostic tests pointing to the carrier) that I believe I can successfully get out of this upgrade paying them nothing. Then I will simply put my old SIM back in my old BB 9000 Bold which runs 3G stellar and move on with my life. I can check back around Christmas and see if somebody solved this.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
The Sand

I am on Network Ticket number 4 now. I actually spoke to the same person twice which is nice (usually it is always someone different who knows nothing about the case.) He said the last 3 Network Tickets were written incorrectly. Really? I mean all 3?? But I feel I may make some headway this week...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
The Sand

Well after 6 Network tickets, when they finally decided to run extensive diagnostic tests, they do see the problem – it is not device specific and it is usage related (which I already know.) They can’t give me any timeframe when there will be a fix. They are not building anything new in this area they are only going to build up what is already in place to handle the overcrowding. They told me that means the fix will be faster as building up what already exists is quicker and less expensive than establishing a new tower. But again, there is no timeframe. The problem is these H+ capable devices will NOT roll back when there is an H+ signal present, even if it can’t connect to it successfully. The device just keeps trying… it will only roll 3G if there is no H+ signal present. The only way to have a successful data connection when the overcrowding is present (which is basically Monday through Friday between 9 to 5) is to turn the BB to EDGE.

He told me this will also be true of a 4G LTE device – if the signal is present, it won’t roll back to 3G even if it can’t connect to the 4G LTE signal. So I am not looking at overcoming this problem with a true 4G LTE device. I told him Blackberry is coming with 4G LTE and more importantly I believe Apple will show as well… about the time you have people running EDGE on a 4G LTE iPhone – well, I imagine we would all hear the screaming outrage. Because if people can’t successfully run 4G LTE they are going to want 3G not EDGE – and that will not be possible in areas with overcrowding that offer 4G LTE or H+.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Managers do exist at ATT and demanding to talk to one will work especially if you tell them your next call is to Dallas.
Closed Thread