BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
ttowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint
Default 9700 to Epic Android back to Torch?

Please Login to Remove!

Here is my delimma:

I used an ATT 9700 Bold 2 for 1.5 years (BB user for 5+ yrs)
I had the old unlimited ATT plan $69 + 39 for BB data usage, which ticked me off to have to pay that.
I use ~1700 minutes per month and maybe <500M data.
I have 8000+ contacts.

Recently I decided to try an Android phone to see what all the fuss is about...

Here are my rambles:
BB 9700 Bold 2
A Great business tool. Emailing and calling and contact management is superb and very easily done.
No lagging, push a button get a response.
Battery would last me an entire day almost every day. Maybe had a dead battery 5 times per year when I forget to charge at night.

Android/Epic 4G/ Sprint -
Spent a week trying to get my contacts exported-imported into Google contacts. Finally that is done.
However, there is a significant delay/lag when I type in a name or try to find someone that I need to communicate with. Then there seems like it takes 2-3 extra button pushes each time I need to communicate - phone, email, text, etc
>> Biggest issue for me is battery life. I am trying a ton of tricks on the Epic to get life - Various App Killers and Battery saver apps...no luck.

Soooo, I am considering switching back to the ATT 9800 Torch.
Questions for the Forum:
> How does Torch 9800 battery life compare to 9700 or Epic
> is the usage of the slideout almost as convenient as the 9700? Or is ity a pain like the Epic?
> How is the 9800 Keyboard?
> Are there some good apps like Android on the Torch (like a golf yardage, skype, games, etc)
> How is the touch?

I NEED it to be a great business tool, but I WANT it to also be fun to use and play with too!

Thanks!
Ttowles
Old 06-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: 9700 to Epic Android back to Torch?

SKYPE fore the BB is only offered by Verizon and the 9800 doesn't work on that network.

As with any smartphone, battery life depends on usage. Use it a lot, then it doesn't last that long. I would guess that it would be about the same as the 9700, however, I have not had a a 9700 (or Epic for that matter). Never let a lithium battery get below 20% as that can damage the battery. I keep mine plugged in whenever I can. There is an article in the FAQ on how to maximize battery life - read that.

I have no problems with the 9800 keypad.

For apps, you need to check app world.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
bigwrigg

Model: 9800
PIN: 22B54878
Carrier: AT&T

For me I found the best experinece was to root my EPIC, then put on Syndicate Frozen 1.1.1 ROM. I am now getting bettery battery life as well as imporved performance.

But sadly your right. The BB still does email and contacts better. But thats what the original design was. With other devices you give up that but gain so much more.
Explore your EPIC some more by rooting it and trying a few ROMS out untill you find the right one for you.
I have also learned that stock eamil clinets are not always the best. For GMail i use the gmail app, for Yahoo i use the Yahoo for Android app. For Exchange i use stock exchange client.

While i do miss the blackberry all in one approach to email and its speed and simplisity, i am very happy with my video capabilities, internet browsing, music playing and overal speed of the Epic.

With that said the 9700 and 9800 are still great Business devics.
Dont forget google voice. I think its helping replace Skype on a lot of devices.
Android Users Yahoo Group
Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Solution: Bold 9700 + PlayBook
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
Working for me.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
I second that motion

those who complain about the 9700 or 9800 battery...have never owned a iPhone or android device...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
ttowles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwrigg View Post
For me I found the best experinece was to root my EPIC, then put on Syndicate Frozen 1.1.1 ROM. I am now getting bettery battery life as well as imporved performance.

But sadly your right. The BB still does email and contacts better. But thats what the original design was. With other devices you give up that but gain so much more.
Explore your EPIC some more by rooting it and trying a few ROMS out untill you find the right one for you.
I have also learned that stock eamil clinets are not always the best. For GMail i use the gmail app, for Yahoo i use the Yahoo for Android app. For Exchange i use stock exchange client.

While i do miss the blackberry all in one approach to email and its speed and simplisity, i am very happy with my video capabilities, internet browsing, music playing and overal speed of the Epic.

With that said the 9700 and 9800 are still great Business devics.
Dont forget google voice. I think its helping replace Skype on a lot of devices.
Well, after 15 days of using the EPIC I'm back to my 9700 Bold 2 and happy to be.

Final Final answer:
The Epic has <3 hrs of TALK time. Not even close to the 9700 (maybe 6+ hrs?)

Games and apps were fun, but I don't really NEED fun. I NEED a business tool to call and email clients 8-10 hrs+ per day. I was hoping to get that and fun, but no chance with the Epic.

To email or call someone on the Epic it was at least 1 more click, sometimes 2-3 more. I'm sure I could eventually figure out the fastest way, but the battery life just killed the deal.
I have a couple friends with an EPIC, one of them owns 3 batteries to live through the day! I NEVER made it through one day of work without a dead battery by 3pm. So, I would just stop working and go work out....The EPIC is a fun toy. Not a business tool
The Blackberry works the way I do.

Now I'm waiting on the 9900....