Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
keownk1

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Media card problems

Please Login to Remove!

I have three BB's-8110 (ATT), 8800 (T-Mobile) and 8900 (ATT). The media card in the last works fine, but I cannot see the pictures or other media in the other two. I can verify that the media is on the card by clicking the "Explore" option on the media card menu, but the 8110 and 8800 lock up when trying to open them with the icons on the media card screen.

I am running OS 4.5.0.182 on the 8110 and OS 4.2.1.74 on the 8800. These are the last ones that the service provider supports.

I have tried all the procedures listed in various posts throughout the specific model boards, and am unable to resolve the issue.

I've turn the machines off and removed the card. I reinsert it and hard boot, but both lock up.

I put the cards back in and format them with the command on the Media Card menu.

I have tried loading pictures using both the BB Desk Top Manager or Windows Explorer through the Mass Storage option and reformatting between efforts.

I know they're on the card because I can see them with the Explore option, but I cannot open them with the appropriate icon on the media window.

I'm baffled and request guidance.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

What is the size of the memory card? The specific phone's OS will determine the maximum size for the memory card that can be accessed.

Here are a couple of FAQs to check out...
What type and size Media Card can I use in my device? - BlackBerryFAQ
Media card not recognized? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 12-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
keownk1

I've tried a 1gb and 2gb card in each machine. I believe that the 4.2.1 OS supports up to 4gb and that 4.5.0 supports up to 8gb. The cards are within specs. I've tried everything recommended in the second link, and it's still no dice. I don't understand why I can "explore" the card but not open images through the image icon.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Does the media card contain encrypted images from another phone? When files are encrypted, they have an extension of .rem (picture1.jpg.rem)... if that is the case, stick the memory card back in the original phone, turn off encryption... then put the card in the new phone... you should be able to display/view and even re-encrypt the files on the new phone.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
keownk1

I appreciate your help. Having checked the cards with both BB Mass Storage and a card reader, I don't see any REM files on either. Maybe they're hidden, but I'm confused about why formatting the card in the BlackBerry doesn't remove all such files.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
keownk1

Despite the suggestions, all efforts to get these media cards to work in my machines failed. I purchased two new ones and they're working fine. I cannot understand what went wrong with the older ones. They were never used in cameras, and one had been resident in the 8110 since I got it.
Closed Thread