Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
mfritzin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm constantly freezing

Please Login to Remove!

I really want to believe in the Storm, but I've had issue after issue. I'm on my third device, and now it's constantly freezing up. A battery pull is the only thing that seems to fix the problem, and we all know how long it takes to reboot when doing so. I have the newest OS, so I"m curious others have had this issue. If so, what have you done about it?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
PlatMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 3G S
PIN: ɹʇɐ~`ʇɐɹ
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (» Doin' It BlackBerry Style «)

My brother complains about this issue with his Storm all the time even after doing the software upgrade last week. He is going to bail from VZW and he is jumping on to Sprint once the BB Tour comes out this month. Sprint has much more coverage and faster data speed is why he is going to make the change. I left AT&T and then VZW for Sprint to have better coverage and speeds too, very glad I did!
Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
mfritzin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A

I would never leave Verizon, but haven't been happy with the Storm at all. JD Powers & Associates, and Consumer Reports both confirm that Verizon has the best coverage by far. In Boston (where I live), it's the best hands down.

I've always had BB's, but this experience with the Storm has really soured my loyalty. I've tried to remain positive, but it's been one headache after another.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
PlatMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfritzin View Post
I would never leave Verizon, but haven't been happy with the Storm at all.
Don't ever say never! Been that route many times before and ended regretting saying that, especially finding out VZW didn't have the most coverage and by far did not have the fastest data speeds in my area of living, working, and travels throughout the US. Plus VZW restricts some things that BlackBerry's are able to do and disables many GPS functions as well.

Also remember, not only does Sprint use their own native towers and signals, they roam on all VZW's tower and use their signal as well. This gives Sprint a lot of coverage area!

Again, been there, done it.

As far as the Storm goes, I don't like ANY touch screen phone any more after having many different ones myself in the past including the iPhone. They are cool to play with, but in reality they just don't hold up and have too many glitches with the screens, especially after they start to become used more.

RIM made a big mistake in my opinion by coming out with a touch screen device, but I don't think they will come out with any more touch screen devices.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Webhead68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfritzin View Post
I really want to believe in the Storm, but I've had issue after issue. I'm on my third device, and now it's constantly freezing up. A battery pull is the only thing that seems to fix the problem, and we all know how long it takes to reboot when doing so. I have the newest OS, so I"m curious others have had this issue. If so, what have you done about it?
I got my wife one last week and yesterday I was playing with it and it was slow as hell. I tried to see which apps were running by hitting the BB button and it locked up tighter than a drum. I did the battery pull and it was back to it's speedy self.

I asked her if she was closing the apps when she was done using them or leaving them running? She didn't know you were suposed to close them and that it would affect the speed of the thing. I know on my 8330 Curve if the memory get's full and there is no more available it reboots itself (feature????)

I would recomend seeing what you have running and be aware of closing apps when done witht them. That's what were trying I will let you know if it makes a difference or not.

Good Luck

Retired
Nextel 7520
Nextel 7100
BlackBerry 8330 Sprint
Sprint HTC EVO (I know it's not a BB but I dumped it for one)
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
DataCentre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead68 View Post
I got my wife one last week and yesterday I was playing with it and it was slow as hell. I tried to see which apps were running by hitting the BB button and it locked up tighter than a drum. I did the battery pull and it was back to it's speedy self.

I asked her if she was closing the apps when she was done using them or leaving them running? She didn't know you were supposed to close them and that it would affect the speed of the thing. I know on my 8330 Curve if the memory get's full and there is no more available it reboots itself (feature????)

I would recommend seeing what you have running and be aware of closing apps when done with them. That's what were trying I will let you know if it makes a difference or not.

Good Luck
My wife as well has a very bad habit of not closing apps down after using them on her 8310 and gets frustrated when it's really slow. I've told her time and time again to close stuff, and even showed her how. She doesn't listen though...so I give up. LoL.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatMan View Post

RIM made a big mistake in my opinion by coming out with a touch screen device, but I don't think they will come out with any more touch screen devices.
Funny, since the Storm 2 has already hit the rumor mills (to include pictures). I went from an 8830 to the Storm on Black Friday and I thoroughly enjoy the device. It is not without it's hiccups but it is a new device. If you own a storm, you need to understand this. No way around it. Bottom line, to each his own. I personally would NEVER leave Verizon for Sprint. If Sprint roaming bounces off Verizon towers, that tells me something.

mfritzin - I hope you do not lose all faith in the BB products. Have you checked to ensure all apps are closed? Which OS are you running? The jump to .148 has made significant changes.

Let us know.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
PlatMan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (» Doin' It RIM BlackBerry Style «)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
Funny, since the Storm 2 has already hit the rumor mills (to include pictures). I went from an 8830 to the Storm on Black Friday and I thoroughly enjoy the device. It is not without it's hiccups but it is a new device. If you own a storm, you need to understand this. No way around it. Bottom line, to each his own. I personally would NEVER leave Verizon for Sprint. If Sprint roaming bounces off Verizon towers, that tells me something.

mfritzin - I hope you do not lose all faith in the BB products. Have you checked to ensure all apps are closed? Which OS are you running? The jump to .148 has made significant changes.

Let us know.
Yes, to each their own. I would never go back to VZW. Been on VZW and it's not good, especially where I live, work, and travel to and from.

Anyway, yes Sprint not ONLY uses their towers but utilizes VZW's as well giving superior coverage. If Sprint didn't utilize VZW towers too, then I would say the coverage on Sprint may not be as good as VZW's coverage. Point is they do use both their own and VZW's allowing for excellent coverage. As far as Sprint's Data Speeds, no one will probably ever be better, after all Sprint is known for having the fastest Data speeds.

I haven't heard of Storm2 coming out, but if so I would venture to say it will be basically the same device with some changes. Either way, I really don't see RIM putting their efforts on touch screen phones anymore. Way Too Many complaints and RIM doesn't like problem devices .... RIM is known for excellence.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

How did this thread move to an Anti-VZW thread?

As far as 3 Storms freezing up I would wonder if there is an app that you are installing that may be causing it.

My Storm will freeze sometimes, but .148 OS makes it very rare (and I am a heavy data/message/phone/app user)
Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Webhead68
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbairdjr View Post
How did this thread move to an Anti-VZW thread?

As far as 3 Storms freezing up I would wonder if there is an app that you are installing that may be causing it.

My Storm will freeze sometimes, but .148 OS makes it very rare (and I am a heavy data/message/phone/app user)
My wife has had hers a week now and only had the one incident where it was freezing.
Now that she closes apps when she is fone there hasn't been a battery pull since Teusday.

Retired
Nextel 7520
Nextel 7100
BlackBerry 8330 Sprint
Sprint HTC EVO (I know it's not a BB but I dumped it for one)
Closed Thread