BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #41
allen2oo3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw

Please Login to Remove!

very cool. i love the led colors. is there any way for it to not give me notifications when i go to bed? i tried changing my profile to phone only then sent myself an email. there was no initial notification (just led) but after 1 minute it vibrated. i leave my phone on my desk so the rattling makes quite a bit of noise.

8703e
Old 11-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #42
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: TELUS

Well you would have to go into your phone only profile, select blackberry alerts - set out of holster to none and in holster to none. Set it to tone if you want tone but no vibrate.
You will have to do this with all the profiles but default I think they are set to none in phone only.
LED will still work as it is independant of profile when you select "program controls LED". The LED will run all night though as there is no auto shutoff like the existing blackberry LED (after 10 minutes or so).
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 AM   #43
stoxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Telus

Logan...

Thanks again for your help! I have d/l new program and everything
works great.. Purchased a Licence as well

Cheers
Ed
Old 11-13-2006, 12:07 PM   #44
allen2oo3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I really like this so far. For those of you that have been using it for a few days now...have you noticed any major battery drain? That's my only concern.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #45
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2oo3
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I really like this so far. For those of you that have been using it for a few days now...have you noticed any major battery drain? That's my only concern.
No, I get most messages when they come in so haven't used it much. It's just good to know it's there for ya.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #46
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

From what I've seen of the 8703 it has a pretty solid battery. The app will sit in the background and since it's event driven should take up very little cpu usage. When it is in notification mode I would imagine it would use up more juice though... I don't think it would use much power compared to the radio or backlight but I'm not sure exactly how much it uses when in notification mode.

So I would imagine there would be some battery drain but not sure if it would be noticeable or not.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #47
Scott8586
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: 30bed4bd
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs up Questions

Adrian, thanks for a really helpful piece of software! It does pretty much exactly what
I wanted. I had a couple of questions.

I had been using the .jad file downloaded OTA from an earlier post, This has a limited selection of colors for the LED but the ability to set duration and frequency times.
It appears in the application list as version 1.0.

I also found a version from blackberrytoday claiming to be version 1.1 I installed it and found many more colors for the LED, but no option to set the duration and frequency of the LED (and no more LED test). But it also shows up in the application list as version 1.0 (it also is identified by script on the Icon in the home page icon list).

I would like to see both, more colors and ability to set flashing timing, which version is the most up-to-date?
What do you see for future versions of the application (in the short term)? (e.g. what's on your TODO list?)
(If your taking votes/requests, some sort of "only during the hours of x-y on days a,b and d" would be next on my list)

I'm a Blackberry noob: I would also like to understand more about the interaction between BlackBerry Alerts and sleep/wake on the Berry: what kinds of events causes the berry to "wake up" and how does that affect BlackBerry Alerts (programmatically)?

I'm using a Verzion 8703e.

Thanks again, I'll be registering. - Scott
Old 11-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #48
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the confusion over the versions, the latest version has always been the OTA one. The ones on BlackBerryToday and Handango are a bit behind but I'll be updating them.

The reasons I reduced the number of colors is that I was finding through myself and PaulQ that some colors did not show well on the LED so the final colors were:
Red, Green, Cyan (Turqouise), Purple, Blue and White. Yellow was dropped as it looked almost identical to green and Magenta is the same as purple.

So the newest version is the one with an LED test that stays on the screen until you hit escape but has less colors than the original version. Also it has a silent mode setting where just the LED will turn on.

Next on this app will be a simple scheduling component where you can setup time frames when to alert (audio or LED). Also I am looking into some Calendar alerts too but have not had any luck in finding anything I can use.

As for waking up I think I have pretty much solved those issues with timers. The events that I have found that were waking up the device were the backlight dropping to 50% brightness and an incoming phone call. So for some of the blackberries (8700 , 7100) series I am recommending to have missed call alerts on... until I can think of something (I can detect when a phone call is incoming).
Old 11-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #49
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: T-Mobile

Everyone:

I purchased the program and love it. But I have one question.I am a little confused, but I think I already know the answer. I have this really neat ringtone for my missed calls and one for my voicemails. I wanted to be able to use both with BB Alerts. that is, a repeating message for missed calls and a different repeating message for voicemails. But all in the same "NORMAL Profile." I don't think Alerts will let me do that. I am getting the impresssion that I have to use the same repeating alert message for voicemail and missed calls and emails. Is that correct. Can someone suggest how I can get a different repeating alert message using BB Alerts.

Also I am not getting any sort of call log when I have missed calls. All I get is the standard BB alert notification window
Old 11-15-2006, 10:15 PM   #50
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

What you are asking for is basically to have a separate audible alert for each alert type? So in your profile you would have BlackBerry Alerts - Calls, BlackBerry Alerts - Voicemail. This was discussed a little bit and is certainly possible, what I ended up putting in was separate LED colors for each alert instead.

I can add a separate audio alert for each one and have maybe an option for one alert tone or one per selected alert. I'm just concerned about cluttering up the user interface too much with a million different options; maybe other users have some input.

Which call logs are not showing up, in your messages application or in BlackBerry Alerts? Could be that you have selected to mark all calls as read in BlackBerry Alerts and your blackberry is set to only show missed calls.

FYI you can call back from my program by highlighting the missed call and selecting "call back user" with the trackwheel but apparently if you have a pearl you may have to select "full menu" first. You can also read an email, PIN or sms message the same way.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #51
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan
I can add a separate audio alert for each one and have maybe an option for one alert tone or one per selected alert. I'm just concerned about cluttering up the user interface too much with a million different options; maybe other users have some input.
I'm happy as it is, I just needed something to tell me it needs attention since I last looked at it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #52
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Logan:

Thanks for the quick reply. I do want a separate alert for each alert type. One for missed calls, one for voice mail and one for emails. As I want to know which matter I am being reminded on without necessarily having to view the screen.

If this poses a problem for the other forum members, I will be willing to pay for this additional benefit personally. Please PM me if that is the only way that this can be made possible for me, because for me this distinction in alerts is very important

Charlester
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #53
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well I'll take a look at adding it as an option. I believe you have an 8700C according to Handango Charlster. You have played with the option program controls LED right and Assign colors as your model will support his?

If not check that out too as that will tell you what alert it is without pulling it out of the holster (you'll be able to tell by what color the LED is flashing).

Normally customized development is many hundreds of dollars per day so I'll look at adding to the public version unless you want to buy a few hundred copies
Old 11-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #54
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Logan:

Yes you are correct. After getting your mesage I went and played with the LED color assignments and I see how that works. That along with the basic alert gives me what I want. this is a fantastic application/ Perhaps the best I have seen so far

Thanks so much Logan

Charlester
Old 11-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #55
mwyarm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: VZW

I downloaded the trial version and I am giving it a try as I type. For me, a must have before purchase is the option of "level 1" messages given that I filter only critical emails to "level 1" so I can treat them as pages. With this new software, I will be able to selectively allow which emails get repeat notification. Please keep us posted on how soon you can add this option. Thanks again for a simple but needed program.

Last edited by mwyarm; 11-16-2006 at 12:15 AM..
Old 11-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #56
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Logan:

One thing I noticed is if you assign a caller a custom ringtone, you have to except them from a particular profile in order for the custom ring to work. Once you do that, the profile that is assigned the BB Alerts no longer applies to that caller.

Real Life: For calls coming from my office I have a custom ringtone. I have excepted my office calls from the Normal Profile that I use for all other calls. And it is the Normal Profile that I have BB Alerts governing. Since my office calls are excepted from the Normal Profile because they have a custom ringtone, then I cannot get the repeated alert for my office calls.

So, I am forced to choose between having a custom ringtone for my office and other important clients and not having repeated alerts for those most important calls OR having no custom ringtones for my office and impt clients to be able to get repeated alerts if I miss their calls.

Is there any way to make the BB Alerts work with calls that have been assigned custom ringtones

I hope all of this is making sense. I want to be able to distinquish when my office and clients are calling versus general public calls while having the BB Alerts program alert me to their calls like it does for the general public calls

Charlester
Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #57
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK Charlester, I think I understand. I haven't really tested this scenario but you are adding numbers as exceptions in your profile? In the menu it looks to me like it allows you to choose a custom phone tune but still use a profile (Active profile by default). This is not working for you?
You could try setting the audio type in BB Alerts to audio instead of profile, but you won't get to choose a ringtone that way, it'll be an escalating beep tone.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #58
Srwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Logan:

I think you have me wrong. I can select the default profile (let's say NORMAL). Now when you have custom ringtones assigned to the default, you have to check exceptions to the default for those custom ringtones to work. And it does for me. For all of my incoming calls, they are handled by the Norml Profile, which I have assigned BB Alerts too. However, because the calls that have a custom ringtone assigned to them are excepted from the Nomal Profile because they have custom ringtones assigned to them, they cannot have the repeated alerts provided by BB Alerts, because BB Alerts is assigned to the profile.

this creates a quandry because usually the numbers you assign custom ringtones to are important callers whose calls you do not want to miss, thus comes in BB Alerts. But the way it stands now, BB Alerts cannot be used with the numbers you assign custom ringtones to because those calls have to be excepted from the profile you assign BB Alerts to.

To see what I am talking about, assign a custom ringtone from your home or office, and then see if once you except it from the regular ringtone for the profile the handles all of your other calls (and that has BB Alert assigned to it), if you can get alerts for the missed calls from your home or office number.

Of course this does not pose a problem for the repeated alerts for emails and voice mail/ these are working quite well

Charlester
Old 11-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #59
mmancini

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default Colored LED not working

Hi, was wondering if there's anyone out there using this program with a 7130e (4.1.0.359)? I downloaded it from the OTA link in the topmost message, but for the life of me I can't get the LED to work. I selected to let the program manage the LED, but the LED test doesn't do anything, and the LED doesn't light up for any of the alerts. I've tried deleting, resetting, and then reinstalling the program, to no effect. I don't have any other notification programs installed, so I don't think there would be any conflicts there. Any ideas?

Great program. If I can get this LED problem sorted out, I'll plunk down my money for a license. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #60
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Can you read off what the LED Test says on screen? Should say testing color or LED is not polychromatic or something.
Closed Thread