Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
tateu
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Suggestions for a freeware IPD Reader/Exporter I am working on

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently working on an IPD reader/exporter for Windows. You connect your Blackberry to the desktop manager and save a backup IPD file and then load that file into my program. My program will then scan through the file and save out various data.

It will never be anything fancy, but it will be free and I thought I'd ask for suggestions before I got too far into it. I am thinking it will be something simple, a gui that you drag and drop an IPD file (YourFile.ipd) onto and it will create several text files, one for each type of data (YourFile_SMS.txt, YourFile_PhoneLogs.txt, etc.). The text files will be comma delimited, one data record per line.

At the moment it can save SMS Messages (timestamp, sent/received, phone number/email address and message body), Phone Call Logs (placed/received, duration, timestamp, phone# and contact name), Memos (title and data) and partial Email Messages (from/to, subject and message body but I haven't figured out the timestamp yet).

I would like to finish up the Email Message support (figure out how to read the timestamp of the email) and get export of the Address Book, Calendar, Task List, Pin Messages and Saved Email Messages working. I have also toyed with the idea of exporting Password Keeper data (if you supply the correct password, of course) but I can't figure out what encryption method it uses.

So, basically, the questions are:
1) First of all, should I even bother, will this be of use to anyone?
2) Which databases should be handled? Are the ones I listed above enough?
3) Is a comma delimited text file the best way to output the data?
4) Any other suggestions?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I think I would use it. Will I be able to edit the files and then restore them to the berry?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
tateu

That is not something I had thought of and with my current implementation, no. If I can read a binary IPD file and convert it to text, though, it seems likely that I could read a text file and convert it back into a binary IPD file for re-import into the Blackberry. I will definately add this as something that I will work on, but not until I get all the export functions up and running.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
option94
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 21BFC0A1

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Well, if you want beta testers, keep me in mind.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
aggravation

Model: 7100i
Carrier: sprint

Excellent! I was just doing a search to find something like this!

I just dropped my pager service and instructed my answering service to start sending my pages to the new 7100i BB I'm now using.

I have a small HVAC/R business and all my service calls come in over the "pager".
Previously I had to copy the info from a little alphanumeric pager to a pad of paper which later became a Tablet PC using Microsoft OneNote.

So now I need a way to save all those "pages" that come into my BB SMS Inbox so I can archive them... and if possible...import them into OneNote in a way that it can create a new note with each one.

So my request would be make it so I could import the SMS messages (or better yet all messages) into Microsoft OneNote!!
I'd pay you for it if it's solid *nudge* *nudge* ;)
Old 08-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
tateu

I've never used OneNote before but it came with a bunch of our work computers here, so I just installed it. I don't see an import option? Is there one? If there is not, then I definately won't be able to make it work.

As stated above, my current plan is to use comma delimited format, which is something that you can import easily into Excel.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
aggravation

Model: 7100i
Carrier: sprint

under tools it has copy from pocket PC or smartphone.....then in Outlook there is a send to Onenote function.
Sorry I'm not too computer savy but power tools for Onenote might help.

http ://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011408961033.aspx
Sorry, the net nanny won't let me post a proper link.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
MScott

Model: 7105

I actually have an ipd converter for sale called bbExtractor, but like tateu I haven't quite gotten the email timestamp decoded. Frankly, neither has anyone else. Anyway tateu, Ixxx8217;d be happy to compare notes with you on how to solve this, even if it means I have to add extra features to compete with you on price.

Send me a private message if you want to work together on this.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
Yernar

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott
but like tateu I haven't quite gotten the email timestamp decoded. Frankly, neither has anyone else.
Not correct. ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter extracts the date and time stamps correctly.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 AM   #10
MScott

ABC Amber does not translate email timestamps correctly. Look carefully, they just put the timestamp of when the program runs in that field.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #11
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Yes and absolutely.
Quote:
The ones previously mentioned will do for now.
Quote:
A tab delimited text file may appear be more readable at first glance.
Quote:
Until we get our hands on a working beta to produce meaningful commentary, none.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #12
marvmiller

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

YES, YES!!! Please make this! I was looking for this and found this message. Please contact me if you got something working especially the e-mail messages with time stamps. I'd like it very much if I could open it in an "email viewer" software where I can search or just go through each message sorted by date, subject, etc.

Marvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tateu
I am currently working on an IPD reader/exporter for Windows. You connect your Blackberry to the desktop manager and save a backup IPD file and then load that file into my program. My program will then scan through the file and save out various data.

It will never be anything fancy, but it will be free and I thought I'd ask for suggestions before I got too far into it. I am thinking it will be something simple, a gui that you drag and drop an IPD file (YourFile.ipd) onto and it will create several text files, one for each type of data (YourFile_SMS.txt, YourFile_PhoneLogs.txt, etc.). The text files will be comma delimited, one data record per line.

At the moment it can save SMS Messages (timestamp, sent/received, phone number/email address and message body), Phone Call Logs (placed/received, duration, timestamp, phone# and contact name), Memos (title and data) and partial Email Messages (from/to, subject and message body but I haven't figured out the timestamp yet).

I would like to finish up the Email Message support (figure out how to read the timestamp of the email) and get export of the Address Book, Calendar, Task List, Pin Messages and Saved Email Messages working. I have also toyed with the idea of exporting Password Keeper data (if you supply the correct password, of course) but I can't figure out what encryption method it uses.

So, basically, the questions are:

Last edited by marvmiller; 09-24-2006 at 10:48 PM..
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 AM   #13
Yernar

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott
ABC Amber does not translate email timestamps correctly. Look carefully, they just put the timestamp of when the program runs in that field.
ABC Amber DOES translate email timestamps correctly. Look at the latest version, it puts the actual timestamp.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #14
MScott

I appologize. The newest version of ABC Amber does translate email timestamps. It looks slick.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #15
trajoj

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter Software Download and Review

anyone know of a free download for abc amber? or any program that takes sms and mms text messages and brings them into the computer? basically what you are trying to write, but if there is an existing program that does that.

argh, that's why i normally to text to email and just have gmail archive my messages in conversation format. that does it for me and saves it forever! but i love the bb conversation setup for reading them on the pearl.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #16
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajoj View Post
anyone know of a free download for abc amber?
You mean, like a free, pirated, wareZ copy of the software that you're going to use without paying for it and take money away from an independent software developer?

I'm sure that's not what you meant, and instead were asking for the demo link instead.

http://www.processtext.com/abcblackberry.html
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
steveqqqqqqq

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t mobile
Default Suggestions for a freeware IPD Reader

this one works
Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #18
MooseNYC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

This program ROCKS,

I was able to get the information I was looking for from the demo, but I did purchase the program.
Thanks for a great application, nice interface too!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #19
Deepak77

Model: 8700
Carrier: dont know

Can anyone tell me whether is it possible to write the LCD screen output of simulator to a text file or any file on PC? I am using a third party application automation testing on BB simulator but i cant validate my results.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Prune

Carrier: Rogers

I just noticed this thread. After someone triggered a secure wipe on my BB, I've been struggling to get my sole backup file to work, but Desktop Manager crashes when it tries to read the .ipd file. I'm wondering if someone has software I may use to get a human readable format of this file so I can at least manually re-enter my phone's settings, tasklist etc. (besides the usual stuff the software I've seen does, like exporting contacts).
Closed Thread