lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

tera_kristen,

On another side-note...

Here are a few more suggestions for the Blackberry version which I've already sent via the Kik's "suggestion" menu on my Blackberry... but maybe you can bring up these suggestions in your next meeting as well :

1) I like the way that Kik for the iPhone version implements the "identification" over that of the Blackberry Kik version. On the iPhone version (for those unaware), there is one field for the person to enter his/her identification information. On the Blackberry implementation of the "identification", Blackberry Kiksters have 2 fields (one for first name and one for last name). Having only 1 field allows me to let's say configure Kik to only have my username/alias or my complete name based on my choice. If users are also able to modify the KikContact entry, those Kiksters can then rename the username/alias/fullname depending on what they prefer their contact to show up as on their phone.

2) Have an option in the menu to "check for updates" (or have the program do this automatically). Unlike the iPhone's AppStore, the Blackberry App World is not very good at notifying users of when there is a more recent version of an application already installed on their device.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
tera_kristen
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

@lmcjipo - Your thumbs must hurt

Thanks so much for the feedback. I will definitely bring up the contact list issues in the next meeting - I think that allowing all users to modify contact names, as well as their own username, within the app should solve a lot of problems.

Check back here for updates - I will let you know

Also, we have some updates coming very soon for all versions of Kik (BB, iPhone, Android) - so I will let you know about that too (should be early next week).
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
tera_kristen

Hey guys,

At Kik, we're having a mini contest. We would like to know how you describe Kik to your friends. We're trying to think of a one liner that really captures what Kik Messenger is all about. So give it a shot and submit your answers right in the forum (this contest is also taking place on other forums, our Facebook and our Twitter). Let us know in a sentence what you think Kik is and have a chance to win the mystery prize. I'll give you a hint when I get 2 more posts

-Tera
Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #24
lmcjipo

I was just KikChatting with Ted L @ Kik.com and he gave me the beta to try on my Blackberry Bold 9700. I got his permission and he mentioned that I could post that I'm using it.

It shows up as an earlier version of Kik when you download it from Kik | Text Anyone for Free (v0.9.4.40978) as opposed to the version available in Blackberry App World which is v0.9.6 but he confirmed to me that 0.9.4.40978 is later than 0.9.6 and it was some internal numbering system that they used as opposed to what Blackberry App World uses.

As tera_kristen mentioned in an earlier post, it does have the Blackberry Sound Profile integration

Another thing that I noticed is that it has delivery notification... so the picture icon of the chat message changes from "..." (pending) to "S" (sent) to "D" (delivered to device) and then to hopefully "R" (person read it). With this added feature of the "D"elivery receipt, the "Not Available" option has been removed (which I think is a good thing that it is no longer there but I believe that some people would disagree with me).

The only thing that I mentioned to Ted L which I found missing was the KikContact list not being an exact duplicate of the Blackberry Contact list (i.e. being able to modify/delete/rename KikContacts directly) and being "forced" to use KikChat for one of my friends who used Kik in the past but can't use Kik now because he downgraded his Kik-supported smartphone (iPhone) to a non-Kik-supported dumbphone. I therefore can't use Kik to SMS him anymore and since he doesn't use Kik, he would never get my KikChat messages on his dumbphone.

One other thing that I mentioned to him was that when I installed it, it required that I re-register my Blackberry/account.

All I can say so far regarding Kik and the employees working at Kik is: Keep up the great work/support/updates.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-10-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #25
dbltap

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Got it installed. Had to uninstall to get the down rev number to work.

I am on a trip outside the US. But every message I send generates an error message "user connection is no longer active."

Last edited by dbltap; 07-10-2010 at 04:11 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #26
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
Got it installed. Had to uninstall to get the down rev number to work.

I am on a trip outside the US. But every message I send generates an error message "user connection is no longer active."
I'm not sure... I didn't have to uninstall anything. I only received a message asking me if I wanted to replace Kik v0.9.6 (the version already installed on my device) with Kik v0.9.4.40978 (beta that Ted L told me about). I answered "Yes" and it downloaded/installed without any issues. I believe that I did get 1 other message asking me if I wanted to replace one of the Kik modules and I also answered "Yes".

After the program finished downloading and installed, I was prompted to reboot my Bold 9700 or wait. I accepted to reboot my Blackberry. After my Blackberry rebooted, I started up Kik and tested it out. I got the usual Blackberry security prompt telling me that Kik wanted to modify its permissions and I verified/accepted the permission change.

The first thing that I immediately noticed was that I had to re-register/re-authenticate myself via SMS again. After that, I started a KikChat session and noticed the "Delivery" receipts. I then went through a few of the options and noticed that the "Not Available" was removed. Since tera_kristen mentioned the Sound Profile integration in a later version (but I wasn't sure if it was the same version that I had just downloaded) and I didn't notice an option like in v0.9.6 where I could specify the Sound/Vibrate option on the Push Notification, I went into my Blackberry Sound Profiles and went through the various selections and discovered "Kik Messenger" in the "Other" selection/heading "+" down list. I changed the sound and vibrate to what I normally have for my instant messages and it worked

I then told Ted L what I thought of the beta as well as the single thing that I would most like to see corrected (KikContact direct modification like renaming, editing, deleting, etc.). I'm sure that this is possible and probably not very difficult to fix this since when you add a Kik contact via their KikCode, this person doesn't appear in the main Blackberry/iPhone contact and appears only within the KikContact listing... so the KikContact list and the regular Blackberry/iPhone Contact list is not the same (which I already knew due to inconsistencies in the names between my main contact list (on both my iPhone & Blackberry) and my KikContact).

The second thing I mentioned to Ted L was the ability to use KikSMS for one of my friends who was an iPhone Kikster but now has a "dumbphone" (no longer using Kik). When I use try to "Kik" him, the program automatically uses the KikChat feature since it thinks that he is still using Kik as opposed to the KikSMS feature.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 07-10-2010 at 04:45 PM..
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
dbltap

Not really sure what's going on. It could be something with me trying to do this update from Chile. I keep getting the error message so I did a full un-install/re-install. Same error message. So I un-installed and went back to the release version. I updated all the permissions to ALLOW. And now it gets the same error message. "Message failed: The user connection is no longer active" Maybe something with the phone system here? Deleted the release and put the beta back on for now.

I'll work on it again when I get to Peru tomorrow.

ADD: Interesting. the occasional message does get through. Wonder if there are timing issues the client is not expecting?

Last edited by dbltap; 07-10-2010 at 08:38 PM..
Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
dbltap

Wirelessly posted

Well it was definately something with the phone system in Chile. Now that I am in Lima, everything seems to be working.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #29
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

With Kik...

You can Kik Back and Relax.

or

Kik Back and Relax.

or Kik it with your friends.

Just Kik it.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #30
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51 View Post
With Kik...

You can Kik Back and Relax.

or

Kik Back and Relax.

or Kik it with your friends.

Just Kik it.
I think that you're a little late since they already announced their winner on their website.

The winning quote is/was: Stop texting. Start connecting.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #31
blackberryfreeware
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-mobile

Im using it on my bold, any chance it works over wifi?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryfreeware View Post
Im using it on my bold, any chance it works over wifi?
I use it on my Bold 9700 and for me, it works over WiFi. I don't see why it wouldn't work for you under Wi-Fi as well.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #33
tera_kristen

Hi everyone!

I have definitely expressed to the team the need for modifying Kik Contacts within the app. I will have an update for you before the next version is released. Although some changes to the app may be easy to implement - it does take some time for that version to reach the users. It's a process (and one that I am learning more about each day).

If you're using the beta I hope you're enjoying those receipts! I used to be one of those people that really thought all technology had a personal vendetta against me - I was always wondering "What are you doing computer/smartphone?!" I friggin love seeing my message go through the magical system and I love knowing that my message (especially my important ones) have been delivered.

Did you also notice the Kik Codes? Everyone at Kik loves to refresh them until we get a funny one - the patter is vowel-consonant-vowel so that they will always be pronounceable. If you're looking for Kik Contacts to chat with (free & unlimited!) you can find some of them on Twitter by searching for "add me on @kik" - you can then try out adding contacts via their code (as opposed to their phone number). Let me know how it goes!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #34
lmcjipo

I just noticed that with the beta version indicated above, there is another issue with the KikContact list.

On my Blackberry Bold 9700, the KikContact list doesn't contain all the contacts from my Blackberry's Contact book/list. The only pattern that I can see is that for those people whom I've KikSMS with in the past or I've KikChatted with in the past, these names/phonenumbers appear on my KikContact list but the other Blackberry Contacts whom I haven't initiated a KikSMS/KikChat with, they don't appear on my KikContact list.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 AM   #35
lmcjipo

I noticed one other issue with the Kik beta that I've been using. This one isn't related to the KikContacts vs Contacts but deals with the KikSMS on the beta version.

This doesn't really affect me since I don't use KikSMS a lot (maybe 30 KikSMS/month). There is a very high number of KikSMS credits on the beta version. If you click on the "SMS Credits", the very high number will reset to 150 even if you have more than 150 credits there.

Just something that I thought that I would point even though I don't use 150 KikSMS in the month so even with the lower limit (and not 10000), I wouldn't run out.

I've already sent this to the "bugs" e-mail address using the Kik interface from my Blackberry Bold 9700.

My Tech Blog
Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #36
lmcjipo

I deleted the application and downloaded the beta (which seems to have been updated to) 0.9.4.41543 (instead of v0.9.4.40978) and the SMS credits has been removed and there are no contacts missing from my KikContacts (although the problem with the KikContracts not being 100% the same as the Contacts remains).

My Tech Blog
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #37
tera_kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
I deleted the application and downloaded the beta (which seems to have been updated to) 0.9.4.41543 (instead of v0.9.4.40978) and the SMS credits has been removed and there are no contacts missing from my KikContacts (although the problem with the KikContracts not being 100% the same as the Contacts remains).
Hi there!

Sorry for the delay - I'm not getting forum notifications for some reason :S

Anyway - the SMS credits have been temporarily disabled because of some issues we were having. There shouldn't be any problem with sending or receiving Kik messages - you are just unable to see the number of SMS credits.

Also, we fixed an issue that was messing up Kik Contacts - displaying just the phone number and no name - so if that hasn't already automatically updated for you I suggest deleting the app and then reinstalling the beta.

Let me know how it goes...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #38
CVidot

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I installed the Messenger but it keeps telling me to change the permission and I have, than it freezes on my screen, than after i restarted the phone it tells me Unexception Java Script, Object Already Exist, I uninstalled it and Deleted it and still giving me the same issue, any ideas to make it work? I have a Blackberry Curve 8330
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #39
tera_kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVidot View Post
I installed the Messenger but it keeps telling me to change the permission and I have, than it freezes on my screen, than after i restarted the phone it tells me Unexception Java Script, Object Already Exist, I uninstalled it and Deleted it and still giving me the same issue, any ideas to make it work? I have a Blackberry Curve 8330
Hi...

Oh, those issues sound annoying - I'm sorry.

We were having some problems on our side yesterday. Please give installation another try today - make sure that you're in a strong Internet area (sometimes low signals can affect the initial setup).

Registration of your phone number may fail the first time (you might not get the verification text) - but if you enter your phone number again you should succeed on the second try.

Please let me know how it goes - I'm consulting with another team member so if it doesn't work for you we'll try and find a solution
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #40
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tera_kristen View Post
Hi there!

Sorry for the delay - I'm not getting forum notifications for some reason :S

Anyway - the SMS credits have been temporarily disabled because of some issues we were having. There shouldn't be any problem with sending or receiving Kik messages - you are just unable to see the number of SMS credits.

Also, we fixed an issue that was messing up Kik Contacts - displaying just the phone number and no name - so if that hasn't already automatically updated for you I suggest deleting the app and then reinstalling the beta.

Let me know how it goes...
Thanks for the reply.

I deleted, rebooted my Bold 9700, and reinstalled Kik v0.9.4.41543 today.

Regarding my KikContacts, one of my KikContacts whom I used KikSMS with on an earlier occasion shows up with the name as the phone number (1abcdefghi) as well as the phone number being the same phone number "(1ab) cde-fghi". I reported this issue using the Kik "bugs" menu as well as forwarded it to Ted.

My having deleted, rebooted, and reinstalled Kik today unfortunately didn't make a difference.

My Tech Blog
Closed Thread