Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
theorangeman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB Browser Issue

Please Login to Remove!

I am a brand new BB Pearl owner and so far and very happy with it. It kind of surprised me because for the past 5 years I've used nothing but Palm and Windows OS. The question I have is pertaining to the browser. With my windows based Treo (which is being replaced with the Pearl) I could access a site that my company requires us to use on a daily basis to log in work time and other similar information. Last week I got the Pearl and tried accessing the same site and got a message that the site doesn't support the type of browswer I'm using.

Therefore, I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I really like my Pearl and want to keep it. However, I really need to be able to access this site like I could with my windows based Treo. After doing some reading on this site I see that some people use Opera Mini. I'm going to try installing that later this afternoon and see if I have better luck. Any other suggestions as far as what other browsers I might want to try?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Opera Mini will probably be your best bet if the regular browser does not work. You could also try different options for the Browser Emulation option in BB Browser > Options > General Options (I believe)

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 12-28-2007 at 10:49 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

If the site requires Flash, your SOL on the Pearl...it does not support it.

The BB browser is set up initially to have Javascript off, you might need to enable that...best bet is to talk to your IT folks and see if you can find out if there are any specific requirements.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
theorangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
If the site requires Flash, your SOL on the Pearl...it does not support it.

The BB browser is set up initially to have Javascript off, you might need to enable that...best bet is to talk to your IT folks and see if you can find out if there are any specific requirements.
Turning javascript on didn't make any difference. I also tried all of the browser emulation options and that didn't work either. As for your statement about not supporting flash, is that the Pearl in general or just the BB browser? Do other browsers, such as mini opera, support flash?

I also ran into another issue, not as problematic as the first, but still dissapointing. I went to a website that I frequent quite a bit and tried to watch a video clip. I got an error message that the video clip was not supported. I'm wondering if another browser would do better because this is getting frustrating. I don't intend to use my Pearl to surf the internet that much, but so far, a couple of things that I would like to use it for aren't working.

Last edited by theorangeman; 12-28-2007 at 01:28 PM..
Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

No flash support at all is my understanding...if you need access to that site you may be out of luck. Again...your IT folks are your best bet to get more information.

If the site you're visiting uses flash-based video (as I believe YouTube does) then you can't watch that either....

Sites for video that work to varying degrees include:

m.vtap.com
blueapple.mobi
m.youtube.com

There is a new version of the 8130 Pearl OS coming out soon from Alltel, and from a post I saw here, there is some indication that it may handle video playback a little better...I get a freeze every 30 seconds or so when playing videos from mobile sites.

The Pearl is not ready for prime-time yet in terms of handling multimedia on the internet...not its intended strength (yet...maybe they will beef this up over time).
Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
theorangeman

I appreciate the info and suggestions. As it relates to Flash, that isn't really necessary because the site for work (that I mentioned earlier) doesn't use it. As for the "IT department", one doesn't really exist at the small organization where I work. Therefore, I'm on my own here!

What I still don't understand is why I can't seem to access the site when I could with my older windows based treo. I'm going to try downloading opera mini later tonight and see if that works. I'll report later -

Last edited by theorangeman; 12-28-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
theorangeman

a little update...

I tried to download and install opera mini this evening and after spending quite a bit of time I finally realized that apparently it isn't compatible with Verizon (which is my carrier). It never even crossed my mind that some carriers may or may not be compatible. At any rate, this is quite unfortunate since I believe I'm heading closer to returning the Pearl. I REALLY want to keep this phone, but not being able to access a couple of the websites that I would like to on a daily basis is a problem.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:43 AM   #8
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/209; U; en))

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangeman
a little update...

I tried to download and install opera mini this evening and after spending quite a bit of time I finally realized that apparently it isn't compatible with Verizon (which is my carrier). It never even crossed my mind that some carriers may or may not be compatible. At any rate, this is quite unfortunate since I believe I'm heading closer to returning the Pearl. I REALLY want to keep this phone, but not being able to access a couple of the websites that I would like to on a daily basis is a problem.
Have you use the bb browser to go to operamini.com I saw that opera won't install using desktop manager on my 8830 but it does install through the bb (ota) download. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Opera Mini will install and run on Verizon BBs...I had it on mine for a while (though I think it's a memory eater, so removed it).

But you should be able to install it just fine using the OTA link. Select the High Memory version....
Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

mini.opera.com from your bb browser. opera 4 final is out and does a very good job of PC emulation. (minus flash support)
Old 12-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
theorangeman

I wish I could get mini opera to download because if it allowed me to access the site that I use with work, I would keep the device. However, I've tried over and over to install it and no such luck.

I tried one more time this morning after reading the replies that it can be installed directly from the phone. This is what I did:

1. Went directly to www.operamini.com
2. Clicked on the download link (which is in a red box)
3. Followed the instructions by doing the following - chose my download method which in this case was download to phone. Therefore, I clicked on the download to phone link. Then I did steps 2 and 3 by choosing my manufacturer as well as phone model. This took me to step 4 which is where I keep getting stuck. I get instructions about going directly to http://mini.opera.com and clicking on download opera mini. However, when I do this, I repeat the process all over. When I follow the instructions labeled "Download Instructions" and choose my preferred language and then click on the file to transfer directly to my pda (which is labeled opera-mini-advanced.zip), I get the error message that "The item you selected cannot be displayed. Do you wish to save the item?" I selected yes but nothing happens after that.

I've also tried clicking on the link "opera mini4" and I get an error message that the "Handler could not be removed".

I'm really at a loss here. I've tried this over and over and keep gettting the same results. Is there something that I'm doing wrong???
Old 12-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

not sure why you are getting an error. i just went onto mini.opera.com and downloaded it on my vzw 8130. zip files cannot be downloaded directly to the device. when you go to mini.opera.com from your blackberry browser it gives the option for high or low memory version. click on the high memory and download. it is 147.8kb.

here is a link directly to the download. make sure to go to your blackberry browser and hit menu > go to >

mini.opera.com/mini.jad?rnd=1256304135&edition=hifi&rel=4

not sure if this is a session or not.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 12-29-2007 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: fixing the URL
Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorangeman View Post
I wish I could get mini opera to download because if it allowed me to access the site that I use with work, I would keep the device. However, I've tried over and over to install it and no such luck.

I tried one more time this morning after reading the replies that it can be installed directly from the phone. This is what I did:

1. Went directly to www.operamini.com
2. Clicked on the download link (which is in a red box)
3. Followed the instructions by doing the following - chose my download method which in this case was download to phone. Therefore, I clicked on the download to phone link. Then I did steps 2 and 3 by choosing my manufacturer as well as phone model. This took me to step 4 which is where I keep getting stuck. I get instructions about going directly to http://mini.opera.com and clicking on download opera mini. However, when I do this, I repeat the process all over. When I follow the instructions labeled "Download Instructions" and choose my preferred language and then click on the file to transfer directly to my pda (which is labeled opera-mini-advanced.zip), I get the error message that "The item you selected cannot be displayed. Do you wish to save the item?" I selected yes but nothing happens after that.

I've also tried clicking on the link "opera mini4" and I get an error message that the "Handler could not be removed".

I'm really at a loss here. I've tried this over and over and keep gettting the same results. Is there something that I'm doing wrong???
Open your blackberry browser ... Goto http://mini.opera.com ... Remember that this does not have a www in front of it. The Top Link say's Download Opera Mini (US English) ... Click this link! ... A dialogue box will open that say's mini.jad and you will see a button below that say's (Download) or (Cancel) .. Click Download .. You will be good to go! (I just followed these steps while typing this how to on a Verizon BB8830)
Old 12-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
theorangeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
not sure why you are getting an error. i just went onto mini.opera.com and downloaded it on my vzw 8130. zip files cannot be downloaded directly to the device. when you go to mini.opera.com from your blackberry browser it gives the option for high or low memory version. click on the high memory and download. it is 147.8kb.

here is a link directly to the download. make sure to go to your blackberry browser and hit menu > go to >

mini.opera.com/mini.jad?rnd=1256304135&edition=hifi&rel=4

not sure if this is a session or not.
I'm not sure how you're getting to this link, as I've tried what it seems like everything. However, I followed the link you provided above and it installed Opera Mini! Finally!!!!

Now to try accessing the website that I want to use for work - I have my fingers crossed!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
theorangeman

Well, I like mini opera and it looked like it might work but then I received the same message as before that the site does not support the browser version that I am using. It states that most versions of Internet Explorer, Netscape and Firefox are supported, but very new or "beta" versions may not be supported.

Unfortunately, I think I may head to the Verizon store on Monday to try out some windows based units.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

for anyone following this thread we were able to get the site working by changing emulation modes, exiting the browser, then reloading the page. IE emulation worked, opera mini was not needed.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #17
theorangeman

A HUGE thanks to everyone, particularly Sith_Apprentice for helping me out behind the scenes because I now have access to the site!! It was pointed out to me that when I tried the different emulation modes I had to exit the browser each time. I didn't recall if I did that yesterday so I tried again today and to my surprise, that was exactly the problem. I tried using the IE emulation mode (and this time exited out of the browser before trying the new mode) and it worked!! I'm very happy because even though I've only had this phone for a few days, it has really grown on me and the thought of returning it was bumming me out. Fortunately now, I will keep it!! Thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions and help.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (8830: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.10031/209; U; en))

Happy to see you got it working. Enjoy the bb
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
wadger

Model: 7100T
Carrier: at&t

Uhhh, sorry if this seems like an odd request as I'm not actually a BB owner. I recently acquired a AT&T Tilt (HTC-8925) which runs Windows Mobile. I believe I'm experiencing the EXACT same problem as theorangeman was, just on my Internet Explorer Browser. I've tried Opera Mini with no avail and up until now I thought I might just be out of luck until Skyfire or the new Opera mobile version is released. I'm hoping someone can offer some sage advice. When I try to access ADP's exLaborManager online time clock through my IE Mobile browser (I think this is probably the website orangeman was using) here's what the website says:

ezLaborManager does not support the browser version you are using:

Unkown HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6)

Most current versions of Internet Explorer, Netscape and Firefox are supported, but very new or "beta" versions may not be supported. Please contact your system administrator for assistance

I figured it was worth a shot getting flamed for asking this question and getting flamed for having a non-BB device as this problem is driving me crazy - does anyone have any suggestions (I don't think I have browser emulation options on my device)? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wadger; 04-03-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #20
wadger

Model: 7100T
Carrier: at&t

Not that anyone here may be interested, but I thought I'd post that I'd figured out the problem for any others trying to Google the solution like I did. I ended up having to edit my Windows registry using a free downloadable program called Mobile Registry Editor. Essentially, the ADP website didn't recognize the "HTC-8900/1.2" identifier part that my registry had saved in my security settings. At HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Security/Internet Explorer/User Agent my settings were set at:

(Default) String (value not set)
CustomBase String HTC-8900/1.2 Mozilla/4.0

I just deleted the "HTC-8900/1.2" from the CustomBase value, leaving only the "Mozilla/4.0" value. Works like a charm and now I can clock in on the road or at my desk while waiting on some of those dreaded 15-20 minute desktop bootup sessions that IT can't seem to fix.
Closed Thread